Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to prime fuel lines on 2.0d

Views : 22789

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2014, 12:48   #21
gaita17
GAITA17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Volvo sell a tool for a high price that'll also do this but I prefer to do on the cheap:

Heres how to prime your 2.0d with minimum amount of hassle - (5minutes). e.g you've changed the fuel filter yourself and the car now won't start.

Items:

Hand primer
£4.99 from ebay - search for "diesel primer"

Bit of hose:
£few quid from halfords etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Ensure input hoses are now connected (if you've changed your fuel filter, FILL it with diesel first!!). You now need to disconnect the green return pipe as cirlced below:

2) Connect the hose you purchased onto the priming tool - onto the black end in this case (it sucks in through here)

3) Connect the hose onto the green return pipe you've just disconnected.

4) You now need to pump (maybe 10 times) until the pump ball stops expanding and remains squashed in your hand (this means it's sucked the fuel through as much as it can, and is only now able to hold the fuel in place using the vaccum it's created).

5) Get somone to crank the car over. Took 10 seconds for mine to start.

6) once it starts. QUICKLY re-connect the green pipe. And thats it. your done! No need for any autostart spray! Go take it for a drive.

The primer ball being unable to expand is the same effect as putting your tongue over a drinking straw and stops the drink going back into your cup.

Total time > 5mins

Hi there,

would it be possible to repost the pictures as I am not able to see them for some reason that I dont understand.

Many thanks
gaita17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 19:35   #22
arto

Some days ago I got in the in my Volvo S40 2.0D as usual. I started the engine with no problems but maybe 5 seconds later it just stopped. I tried several times to start it again but without any success.

I noticed that there is a lot of air in the fuel lines. If the line after the fuel filter is 30 centimeters, the first and the last 5 cm of it were just air. I bought this "diesel primer" and tried to prime the system but with no success - after the second squeeze the pump was not able to do anymore. I tried to start the engine some more times and now just after the fuel filter the line is full with diesel but the last five are still air and I cannot start the engine.

Before this day I haven't any problems regarding the starting or the work of the engine.
arto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 10:40   #23
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arto View Post
Some days ago I got in the in my Volvo S40 2.0D as usual. I started the engine with no problems but maybe 5 seconds later it just stopped. I tried several times to start it again but without any success.

I noticed that there is a lot of air in the fuel lines. If the line after the fuel filter is 30 centimeters, the first and the last 5 cm of it were just air. I bought this "diesel primer" and tried to prime the system but with no success - after the second squeeze the pump was not able to do anymore. I tried to start the engine some more times and now just after the fuel filter the line is full with diesel but the last five are still air and I cannot start the engine.

Before this day I haven't any problems regarding the starting or the work of the engine.
Did you try towing it as suggested?

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 15:03   #24
arto

A friend is going to tow me to a garage this evening anyway, so ill try it. :|
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 15:08   #25
oneilldom
Distinctly Average Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arto View Post
A friend is going to tow me to a garage this evening anyway, so ill try it. :|
Good luck and update us.

2009 C30 2.0D R-design
oneilldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 18:56   #26
arto

LOL, as I wrote earlier a friend of mine came with the intention to tow my car. I tried to start the engine for a one last time. Event that there was ~10 cm of air inside the fuel lines the engine started after 3-4 seconds!!! :O This happened maybe after 20 tries in the last days! :O Now the car is running as usual.

I suspect another problem but i'll open another thread.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 22:02   #27
angabor

Question

To get rid of the air in the system I tried to use a manual pump as recommended: connected to the green pipe, but after I've pressed it, it stays as is, it's not able to pump any fuel out.

I also tried with a self bleeding (up to 5m) electric fuel pump (connected to the same place), no use of it, it looks like the line must be blocked somewhere between the green pipe and the fuel filter, because I managed to bleed the fuel filter very easily at least.

I have no idea what this could be. The car had been running fine before I let the air in not knowing it this engine was not self priming...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Now it looks like I need to get the car towed to a garage if it can't be sorted.

I appreciate any suggestions
angabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 22:47   #28
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angabor View Post
To get rid of the air in the system I tried to use a manual pump as recommended: connected to the green pipe, but after I've pressed it, it stays as is, it's not able to pump any fuel out.

I also tried with a self bleeding (up to 5m) electric fuel pump (connected to the same place), no use of it, it looks like the line must be blocked somewhere between the green pipe and the fuel filter, because I managed to bleed the fuel filter very easily at least.

I have no idea what this could be. The car had been running fine before I let the air in not knowing it this engine was not self priming...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Now it looks like I need to get the car towed to a garage if it can't be sorted.

I appreciate any suggestions
A blockage is highly unlikely so are you sure you're pumping the correct connection?
That said, I thought priming the 2.0 was the same as the 1.6.
Pull the return line, crank the engine until fuel comes out and replace the return.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 23:04   #29
angabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
A blockage is highly unlikely so are you sure you're pumping the correct connection?
That said, I thought priming the 2.0 was the same as the 1.6.
Pull the return line, crank the engine until fuel comes out and replace the return.
I really don't know now what to think, this is not self bleeding, so won't really start on it's own. I found the photo bleow using google images, it is exactly the same engine as mine. The blue arrow shows the connection that I unplugged, the pipe on the right side is where I connected the pump to.
I think I will try again once I have recharged the battery (too much cranking...).

Do you know, does cranking opens a valve or is that absolute necessary to get the fuel out?

angabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 09:14   #30
Bungo
Premier Member

Luckily local garage came to my house and bled the system. It took a good 5 mins of pumping with an industrial size pump though and even then 4 or 5 cranks to get it fired up.
It's a crap system.