Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stage 2/2+ map T5

Views : 2249

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2019, 17:24   #11
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
It called front mounted, as it's at the front of the car

Scoobies have top mounted intercoolers and a bonnet scoop for the cold air feed - It's literally just where it's mounted
haha yes, I know - but what confuses me, Hilton for example recommends "FMIC" for stage 2, - where all T5 comes with one anyway! I understand it means uprated/higher flow but FMIC is technically ANY T5... :P

confusing, thats all
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 08:11   #12
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
haha yes, I know - but what confuses me, Hilton for example recommends "FMIC" for stage 2, - where all T5 comes with one anyway! I understand it means uprated/higher flow but FMIC is technically ANY T5... :P

confusing, thats all
Yes, they recommend changing the FMIC for stage 2....

Stage 1 - basic remap, no other hardware required.
Stage 2 - Intercooler and exhaust system is required due to the extra power and heat that comes with it
Stage 3 - you start to need injectors etc

Shark, MTE, RICA, they all recommend the same for the relevant stages.

Some people just call them FMIC, some prefer intercoolers lol

Maybe all of them used to be FMIC till one manufacturer produced a top mount one.....who knows
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 09:51   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

Lizard what's it like doing the map from Hilton? Is it simple enough to do on your own?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 11:51   #14
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Lizard what's it like doing the map from Hilton? Is it simple enough to do on your own?
Easy, just a bit scary for the first time (ever flashed BIOS on mobo or GPU? that type of scary). Whole procedure is really simple - you get files from Hilton that you install on laptop with DiCE unit, you connect it to car and read out parameters - that takes a while (like 20mins while) and it basically read out your whole ECU and save it as a file in laptop.
That part is only done once.

Then you send this file out to Hilton and after few days you recieve it back but altered. You then upload it to your car (that takes about 2 mins) and test it, do few runs with Hilton logger active (it reads out parameters of your car while you do series of full throttle runs) and send it back to Hilton. He alters it further and doing it few times back-forth it makes a custom adapted map based on how your car reacts to every map alteration.

All in all its really easy, just a bit of hassle as you need to test&log every iteration of map, and when uploading it to car you really dont want to have any issues (imagine bricking your ECU?... ) so best option is to have laptop connected to mains and car battery connected to charger. I never had the battery charger though, just laptop powered from mains just-in-case.
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 17:06   #15
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Easy, just a bit scary for the first time (ever flashed BIOS on mobo or GPU? that type of scary)
So what's to stop you dishing out the files for your car and me flashing it on mine? :P

I know 'technically' each car varies slightly with age and sensor wear etc but at the end of day, bar the AWD, your car hardware wise is exactly the same as mine......
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 09:42   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
So what's to stop you dishing out the files for your car and me flashing it on mine? :P

I know 'technically' each car varies slightly with age and sensor wear etc but at the end of day, bar the AWD, your car hardware wise is exactly the same as mine......
Haha nice try Funky, our cars are a nightmare to map and one of the speed bumps I've found are things like the isolation switch and turbo kill switch in the ECU. Already tried a copy of a shark map running a k16 and failed big time resulting in a new ECU. Once you get these ecus messed up you will be in a right pickle.

Still thinking about using hilton but just waiting on couple other guys as well to compare prices and dates etc

Old Jul 4th, 2019, 09:50   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:

Haha lol, but valid question - actually though about myself until I saw how its done.
Apart from common sense (I wouldnt even try to upload "random" map onto ECU) it is also technically impossible as map is somehow tied to ECU & Vin. Hilton's software will only alow you to extract&upload map from car with corresponding VIN number after its registered&paid for, so lets say I will send you the software to try out (not even a map itself) and it will even refuse to connect to your car because incorrect VIN & other stuff.

still - even 2 identical engines will need different maps due to various wear&tear and working components, as Dom said above - what works on my car can for example blow out the turbo on another, I really think its more complicated than OC'ing the GPU (up the voltage and core up! :P ) and all components have to work in nice simbiosis. Thats why any of those "map your car with miracle OBD device" are actually dangerous...
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 10:45   #18
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Haha nice try Funky, our cars are a nightmare to map and one of the speed bumps I've found are things like the isolation switch and turbo kill switch in the ECU. Already tried a copy of a shark map running a k16 and failed big time resulting in a new ECU. Once you get these ecus messed up you will be in a right pickle.

Still thinking about using hilton but just waiting on couple other guys as well to compare prices and dates etc
I did expect it would be tied to your VIN and ECU, not some generated hex file you flash via OBD lol.

I assume yours still isn't running right?

I would be very cautious about getting yours remapped by someone overseas. Your best bet is finding someone who is willing to sit with it on a dyno for a day, kit in hand and fine tune it there and then.

Pinging emails/files back and forth to the states on your kind of build is going to be a nightmare IMO. Your car isn't a basic 'just flash this and you'll be fine' kinda car like the rest of ours.
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:20   #19
LizardOfBodom

I agree with FM on that, I would look for a local tuner for such sophisticated build as Dom's, but if all other options fails, well - no harm checking with RH anyway...
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 11:39   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh I have 2 guys on the list but just weighing up all options at he moment.

Spoke to the Hilton guys and they actually seemed really good and I dont n ow if it has changed since you last got theirs but they just wanted the info and mods on the car so they could then go away and build the files for me to load directly on, but their stage 3 with all the additions costs quite a lot.

There are 2 other guys tim and shem who I'm waiting on times but communicating with them is difficult and I'm struggling to stay patient.

Car is all setup but not running right. Still running on the current map with the k16 hybrid turbo but engine needs about 1.5k of bedding in really. Still running the oem fuel injectors as well just so that it's still drivable but wont go over 4k revs. But yeh this is the last step really for someone to map it all but as soon as possible as the car is not happy with current setup. But boy does it shift in 1st and 2nd!