Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Aerial too long

Views : 860

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2005, 23:53   #1
melvin

Default C70 Aerial too long

I have my long awaited C70 in my drive way and now let the questions begin :)

Done some searching but cant find an answer to this little niggle I have already.

The aerial when up is about 5" too long to fit under my carport. I know one night when im tired im going to reverse the car in forgetting to turn the radio off and *snap* goes the aerial.

Anything I can do to reduce the height of the extended aerial by about 5" or some sort of magic sensor which automatically puts the aerial down, which ever is easiest. hehe

Cheers in advance :)

melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 06:53   #2
Simon J
Premier Member

Default RE: C70 Aerial too long

I haven't been able to check my car (I'm abroad at the moment) but I'm pretty sure the aerial should go down automatically when you switch the car off even if the radio is left on. So best get that checked first.

But in any event, the essential item for all C70 owners is an 'aerial down' switch, part number 9204656. This allows you to use the CD player without having the aerial up, and also the radio if reception is good enough. I find that it's only once in a blue moon that I would actually need to put the aerial up on my car as my local reception is pretty good and I can't imagine why this switch isn't a standard fitting on the C70.

Rgds,

Simon J
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:39   #3
melvin

Even with the switch I still have the problem with my memory, hehe. I have to reverse the car into the carport so even with the switch I still have to remember to put the aerial down or switch the radio off.

Shame as all the other C70s I looked at the aerial didn't extend to its full length, i persume they tend to stick after a while not with mine though.

I think i will do the switch mod in the future though. Any one have the wiring diagram for the headunit so I know which wire to snip or is it just the blue wire?

Also, I just noticed in my owners manual there is a accessory connector which provides several outputs for aftermarker wiring. Which is nice.

Just wondering if anyone knows whats the 'X-supply', 'High beam' and 'Rheostat' connectors are for?

Thanks again
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:06   #4
Simon J
Premier Member

The switch comes with the appropriate plug and I gather it's just a plug 'n' play job although I must confess I just got my dealer to fit it! Can't help with the accessory connector queries though.

Simon J
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 18:44   #5
Volvo Mickey

Could you not unplug the arial ( not the coax cable, just the motor wires wires )for now, hopefully you will still get most stations like Simons untill you fit the switch. Of course you still have you memory problem but apart from cutting a 10mm slot in your car port roof I can't suggest any fix for that! Mike.