Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P3 V70 Front wheel bearing/hub replacement...DIY tips?

Views : 2537

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:15   #11
Montana
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Please keep us posted, will ya?
I've since watched several videos where removal is done with a slide-hammer...looks do-able. Sounds like at least a 10lb slide hammer is required. In addition, I've got two old brake discs sitting around that I'm planning to add for additional weight.

Montana are you thinking of attempting removal with a slide hammer or are you going to remove the whole spindle and just pound?
I am in the process of removing the hub, only stopped by not having a scissor balljoint splitter , will get one today and get the hub off. Planning to press out all being well, if that fails then will resort to the sledgehammer hitting hammer method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Correct.
To make things easier I usually spray some WD 40 over the hub and bearing but tap it in with a hammer.

Similarly I change universal joints with a hammer, never dropped a needle yet, when I tried it in a vice dropped a needle and snapped it rendering the joint scrap.
Provided the fitting force is applied to the outer race of the bearing only how it is fitted is a bit of a mute point, hammer or press matters not.

Ford rear axle used to have the wheel bearing mounted on the half shaft and retained by an interference ring. I changed those by chiseling the ring off and leave ring the bearing off, refitting was by supporting the shaft on a solid block and using the tube of a porta power to hammer bearing and retaining ring on to the shaft until it rang, thus confirming it was properly seated.

The hammer is a much under rated tool.

Paul.
Thanks Paul,when you say 'tap' do you mean not much force is needed to press the new one in ? Do you use any lubrication to assist ?

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:16   #12
Model flyer
Master Member

I had a front hub bearing on a Renault Clio replaced by a local mechanic a few years ago . I usually do this sort of work myself but was recovering from surgery and my wife needed her car. He used a press to replace the bearing and it failed a couple of months later ! I did the second repair myself . The old bearing was driven out with a hammer but had to be ground through as it was so tight in the hub . The hub was thoroughly cleaned and then heated with a torch , a large propane torch would do it. The new bearing just slid into place and was left to cool . No pressing or hammering . Sold car a few years later and bearing was still running quiet.
V70 replacement hubs are available on line at reasonable prices , so no fitting of bearing required.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:03   #13
37 RUBY
Master Member

As mentioned by others heat and freeze has always worked for me.

New bearing in the freezer overnight.

Purchase can of plumbers freeze spray.

Suitable drift, i.e. Large socket just smaller than hub diameter and a heavy short handle lump hammer.

Small blow torch.

Hub off car and supported on suitable timber.

Ensuring retaining circlips are removed and heat the hub casting then when reasonably warm I spray into the bearing with plumbers freeze spray.

As the bearing contracts, drift out the bearing with hefty well struck blows, none of this furious pounding.

To replace, heat the hub slightly, fetch the bearing out of the freezer, drift bearing in without any real force required.

The above has worked for me.

HTH
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 23:49   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana View Post
I am about to embark on this same task this weekend on my V50 - i know the Youtube vid you are referring to with the use of the sledgehammer, this is only for removal and seems effective.

However if you dont have a press to put it back in , then i would forget DIY - I have use of a press but a little nervous as i have never done it before.
I have just done a V50 front wheel bearing. I've got a 20T bench press with gauge, it took 9 ton nearly before it shifted.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 23:50   #15
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
I am about to embark on this same task this weekend on my V50 - i know the Youtube vid you are referring to with the use of the sledgehammer, this is only for removal and seems effective.

However if you dont have a press to put it back in , then i would forget DIY - I have use of a press but a little nervous as i have never done it before.
I have just done a V50 front wheel bearing. I've got a 20T bench press with gauge, it took 9 ton nearly before it shifted. It's a pure interference fit, no circlips etc. (i.e. Ford sh*te engineering).
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 13:57   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
I am in the process of removing the hub, only stopped by not having a scissor balljoint splitter , will get one today and get the hub off. Planning to press out all being well, if that fails then will resort to the sledgehammer hitting hammer method.

Thanks Paul,when you say 'tap' do you mean not much force is needed to press the new one in ? Do you use any lubrication to assist ?
Yes, a lot less than needed to remove, the wd40 aids fitting and evaporates away quickly so no long term effect on the bearings retention. I have never had one move in sevice using this method.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 13:18   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Yes, a lot less than needed to remove, the wd40 aids fitting and evaporates away quickly so no long term effect on the bearings retention. I have never had one move in sevice using this method.

Paul.
^^^^^ What he said. Getting the old one out is the much bigger issue....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jun 18th, 2018, 22:33   #18
Montana
Master Member

Update on this, the press I had used wasn't up to the job, dropped it off at a local garage who sorted for £10.

All refitted now 😁

Previous: 2006 XC90 D5 , 2008 V50 2.0D
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote