Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V90 cc towbar

Views : 2913

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2018, 20:08   #31
gaby
Premier Member

Some maufacturers seem to take a different approach, installing a towbar as an extra item to the original beam:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283214
Westfalia doesn't seem to do that:
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com...0102691111.pdf
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 13:58   #32
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I'm also thinking about putting a towbar on my car, I only want it to fit a bike rack to. But at the moment the only option seems to be a dealer fit @ around a £1000.
I plan to wait until I can source a towbar from somewhere like Witter.
I've taken the plunge, just ordered a Volvo electric towbar, managed to get a10% discount + a number plate. Having it fitted on Friday, fitting time is 2 hours.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 15:01   #33
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
I've taken the plunge, just ordered a Volvo electric towbar, managed to get a10% discount + a number plate. Having it fitted on Friday, fitting time is 2 hours.
You wont regret it, its very neat and intergrated to the cars sytems, like turning BLIS off when trailer attached, (wide trailer/caravan would activate it) and reverse sensor beeps turned off once hitched up, it stops coasting in eco mode and prevents pilot assist while towing, so driver is always in control, cruise and adaptive cruise still work. Rear Fog lights wont come on the car when towing, the cars trailer stability system will become active (aditional to the caravan stability system) and there is also a tow hitch guide line in reverse/360 camera for easy hitching, and trailor light check. These are the things I can remember off the top of my head.

I have read on here that one or two owners believe that you just sit in car and activate trailer light check, this is wrong, you still have to visually check them.
You are supposed to activate it then turn off engine and walk to the back of the trailer and observe the lights coming on to see if they all work.
The lights come on in sequence, rear lights, brake lights indicators etc. The trailer light check system is there so you can check lights single handed.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 16:49   #34
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
You wont regret it, its very neat and intergrated to the cars sytems, like turning BLIS off when trailer attached, (wide trailer/caravan would activate it) and reverse sensor beeps turned off once hitched up, it stops coasting in eco mode and prevents pilot assist while towing, so driver is always in control, cruise and adaptive cruise still work. Rear Fog lights wont come on the car when towing, the cars trailer stability system will become active (aditional to the caravan stability system) and there is also a tow hitch guide line in reverse/360 camera for easy hitching, and trailor light check. These are the things I can remember off the top of my head.

I have read on here that one or two owners believe that you just sit in car and activate trailer light check, this is wrong, you still have to visually check them.
You are supposed to activate it then turn off engine and walk to the back of the trailer and observe the lights coming on to see if they all work.
The lights come on in sequence, rear lights, brake lights indicators etc. The trailer light check system is there so you can check lights single handed.
Thanks for all that extra information, it certainly makes the cost more justified.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 23:27   #35
Director76
Master Member

Quote:

Does it set the alarm off if the trailer electrics are unplugged when the vehicle is locked? I haven’t tried it on the XC90; it did in my Touaregs
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 23:44   #36
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Does it set the alarm off if the trailer electrics are unplugged when the vehicle is locked? I haven’t tried it on the XC90; it did in my Touaregs
I have not read anything about that or tried it on my XC90, I will try that next time I use it, if I leave my van hitched up to car I always set my remote operated motor mover onto the wheels (its not lever operated) which acts like a very effective brake locking the wheels and I arm the caravan alarm which has a movement sensor and tracker.
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 09:43   #37
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:

You're right, it is very neat and a well integrated solution. The only thing I wish is that there was an option to tell it what you have connected to you trailer electrics. 90% of the time for us its just a towbar mounted cycle rack, in which case we would welcome is disabling the reversing sensors, but leaving everything else (i.e. BLISS) switched on.

:wq
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 15:38   #38
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Good point.