Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First ever automatic box

Views : 2705

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:09   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
I'm going to give you something you didn't ask for but you need to know.

You did not say year and mileage of your car - but if it got more than 80K and the paperwork does not mention a partial or full change of the transmission fluid you should do that.

Contrary to Volvo's charge that the transmission fluid is for "life" it is not.

Do at least a partial "dump" and add a bottle of Lubeguard Red:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lubegard-...NOes:rk:1:pf:0

Your transmission will thank you and be very happy..
Contrary to popular belief Volvo have never said that , it is there in the service schedule .

"if the car is used for towing or taxi work or in arduous conditions "

If it were mine I would change the auto oil every 54000 miles which is reasonable . The reason volvo do not add it to the regular service schedule is that it would double the cost of the service . Same with brake fluid , they advise it every 2 years but it is not mandatory .
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 08:29   #32
Waynedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
It certainly can be uncomfortable and dazzling to me...
Less component wear for me to leave foot on brake instead of putting elec hand brake on and moving into neutral manually, bulbs are cheaper or free if you work at a garage.
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 23:55   #33
Christerart
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Contrary to popular belief Volvo have never said that , it is there in the service schedule .

"if the car is used for towing or taxi work or in arduous conditions "

If it were mine I would change the auto oil every 54000 miles which is reasonable . The reason volvo do not add it to the regular service schedule is that it would double the cost of the service . Same with brake fluid , they advise it every 2 years but it is not mandatory .
"It's not needed unless it's used as a taxi or "arduous" conditions" - most people do not use their Volvo as a Taxi or drive it under "arduous" conditions - and leaving it out of the service schedule pretty much says it's not needed, does it not?

I agree with you on changing the transmission fluid at regular intervals - how long in-between would of course depend on how I use the vehicle - towing a trailer in hot weather or in the mountains for example (in which case I would add a transmission cooler).

As for cost - the cost is negligible if you do a couple of transmission "dumps" and buy it (JVS 3309) on the web - I buy 20 liter for less than £60 from Germany, including shipping.

Still - considering the cost of replacing a transmission, even the cost of a change at the dealer is preferable is it not?
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 11:45   #34
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
"It's not needed unless it's used as a taxi or "arduous" conditions" - most people do not use their Volvo as a Taxi or drive it under "arduous" conditions - and leaving it out of the service schedule pretty much says it's not needed, does it not?

I agree with you on changing the transmission fluid at regular intervals - how long in-between would of course depend on how I use the vehicle - towing a trailer in hot weather or in the mountains for example (in which case I would add a transmission cooler).

As for cost - the cost is negligible if you do a couple of transmission "dumps" and buy it (JVS 3309) on the web - I buy 20 liter for less than £60 from Germany, including shipping.

Still - considering the cost of replacing a transmission, even the cost of a change at the dealer is preferable is it not?
You said :
Contrary to Volvo's charge that the transmission fluid is for "life" it is not.

That statement is simply untrue and hearsay . It is in their service schedule as an extra , optional ..

The service schedule changed about 5 years ago to add or remove items from the standard list to tailor it to suit you ,the old fixed item service sheet has long gone . for example now they would not do the cambelt etc on the 6th year/ 108000 mile service if you have only done 40000 miles …They should talk to you and advise hence their job title "Service Advisor" …
It is in the dealer's interest to ask if you want it changing , its another £200 in their pocket ...
The VAST majority of auto volvos have no problems at all with the gearbox ..and haven't for decades , there are always the odd ones of course which end up on here … making it look like 50% of volvos have faults with their gearbox . Having seen thousands of auto gearbox volvos over the last 40 years on a daily basis out there in the real world , is how I come to my conclusions .

Would you be prepared to double the cost of every other service to £700+due to having an auto fluid change ?? bearing in mind you would probably want a set of tyres ( £500 ? ) and brakes ( £500 ? ) as well The leasing companies wouldn't for sure . But the choice is there for you if you want it , entirely up to you .. volvo have never said the gearbox is sealed for life … which is what you implied and is what my post was about ..
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 18:18   #35
canis
Non Fragile

I can promise you, I will not be paying £700 for a transmission fluid change. That's not happening.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 19:34   #36
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I can promise you, I will not be paying £700 for a transmission fluid change. That's not happening.
i did a sump dump on my auto box last week cost £30 an an hour of my time . dont forget to fit new sealing washer simple any one can do it.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 19:56   #37
DSK
C70 T5

Quote:
Should cost a lot less than that.

I don't know what spec your fluid is but here's a rough guide using my 2000 T5 with a Volvo specific oil requirement as an example;

Approx 15 litres of oil (used to flush and fill) - approx £200 (yes the oil is expensive! but its cheaper than a new car or new gearbox!)

Labour approx 1 hour - £50-100

I'd budget approx £350 ish for the full flush and fill with the correct oil.

This cost is drastically reduced if your gearbox takes a more basic oil specification like Dexron 2/3 etc.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 20:14   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
No , that includes the service !
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 22:38   #39
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

use millermatic sp3 £32.95 for 5 litres. Three tubs is enough for a drain and fill and a good flush.

You need 7 litres for a complete fill but in practice only 50% falls out.

So two drain and fills = 7 litres leaving 8 litres to flush with until cherry red.
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 23:14   #40
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
I got quoted 200 quid all incl. from an indy.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote