Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An all electric XC90,Is it feasible and when?

Views : 3022

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2018, 10:30   #1
yeoman
Master Member

Default An all electric XC90,Is it feasible and when?

Audi recently demonstrated their Audi e-tron SUV and MB their all electric SUV.

I am surprised Volvo ( who tend to be ahead of the curve in matters like this),are yet to show case their own electric SUV.

Makes me wonder if they are struggling a bit with the technology.

Anyone know if and when we can expect the electric XC90?
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 10:50   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Audi recently demonstrated their Audi e-tron SUV and MB their all electric SUV.

I am surprised Volvo ( who tend to be ahead of the curve in matters like this),are yet to show case their own electric SUV.

Makes me wonder if they are struggling a bit with the technology.

Anyone know if and when we can expect the electric XC90?
Volvo won't be struggling with an all electric car it is all about marketing ,It will probably come with the next generation xc90 which they are working on right now of course . They had an all electric C30 6 years ago .
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:11   #3
Milliner

That's my view too, it's about market readiness.

For most, myself included, the XC90 is a main family car for long haul trips and loading with gear. In my opinion, the electric car seems more focused at short trips and commuting at the moment. This especially true as the charging infrastructure is in its infancy.

So, let's see what the next gen cars brings. To be honest if one manufacturer does it, and especially it it turns out to be a success, it won't be long before the rest follow.

I hope so. Electric and hydrogen fuel cell, if it ever becomes viable, is the way to go. Diesel and petrol will be akin to the horse and cart in 20 years time.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 11:35   #4
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Volvo won't be struggling with an all electric car it is all about marketing ,It will probably come with the next generation xc90 which they are working on right now of course . They had an all electric C30 6 years ago .

Do you not think they maybe struggling a bit with developing a cost efficient ,all electric 2 tonne SUV with a decent mileage range?(anything less than 250 miles would be ridiculous IMO).
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 12:51   #5
MaDProFF
Master Member

I am sure they will have something in the pipeline, and certainly in the next few years, at present all the big electric cars are at a larger premium that is not usually accepted by Volvo, so maybe they are waiting for the next generation of batteries i.e solid state, far less weight, smaller and more powerful.

I think the Ipace which generated a huge interest and had loads of deposits, but when the final version arrived it is actually quite underwhelming, might look great, but for the cost not really what is being sold as, loads pulled deposits myself included.

Although it is more feasible they will bring out some other smaller models first all battery.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 18:24   #6
AB-UK
Premier Member

This forum has also demonstrated that Volvo have had difficulties with their software for existing technology, never mind considering uncharted waters such as full EV.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 18:26   #7
MaDProFF
Master Member

I am not sure Volvo is any different to any other manufacture when it comes to software issues, and other issues for that matter.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 18:32   #8
AB-UK
Premier Member

You may be right - I haven't been reading other marque's forums.
I note the number of negative posts here have diminished over the last year, so maybe Volvo have ironed-out most of the problems, but that's with ICE engines and hybrids.
Full EV may throw up new problems not encountered thus far.
Hopefully they will test the technology fully next time before releasing an EV version instead of using customers as unwilling beta testers.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 20:19   #9
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
...Hopefully they will test the technology fully next time before releasing an EV version instead of using customers as unwilling beta testers.
I doubt that very much as it is not seen as competitive nor following the modern Agile / DEVOps approach. Conceptually the idea is to get a minimum viable product to market ahead of the competition. It is what Google and Amazon have implemented, then fail fast and fix quick.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBendall For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2018, 20:20   #10
PaulBendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
[/B]

Do you not think they maybe struggling a bit with developing a cost efficient ,all electric 2 tonne SUV with a decent mileage range?(anything less than 250 miles would be ridiculous IMO).
Volvos could do with going on a diet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulBendall For This Useful Post: