Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remap & Carbon clean booked.

Views : 1560

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:17   #11
Waynedance

Got to next Tuesday to change my mind, will do more research till then.

Had made me think from what's been said, if Volvo offer the Polestar then there is defo room for improvement.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:31   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Manufacturers map the cars with a blanket safeguard map that will work for all climates and fuel etc. Remaps optimise the map for the climate and fuel quality of that particular country, thus you can make gains over the factory map. Take said remapped car from here to alaska, russia or sahara etc and you will have problems. Keep it here itll be fine (if done right).
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:31   #13
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
Got to next Tuesday to change my mind, will do more research till then.

Had made me think from what's been said, if Volvo offer the Polestar then there is defo room for improvement.
Maybe you can find some independent reviews from previous customers?

I'm sure a Polestar remap/'optimisation' would be the best option but it seems ridiculously expensive to me. It's always possible to extract more power from a modern diesel but often to the detriment of vehicle emissions, or the clutch.
Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:40   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Manufacturers map the cars with a blanket safeguard map that will work for all climates and fuel etc. Remaps optimise the map for the climate and fuel quality of that particular country, thus you can make gains over the factory map. Take said remapped car from here to alaska, russia or sahara etc and you will have problems. Keep it here itll be fine (if done right).
Let’s look at that argument which is generally put forward by the tuners.
1). If a class of vehicles xc90, q7, x5 were to compete and one had 20% more power, 20% more torque and consumed 10% less fuel it would simply win each and every single group test. Accordingly the manufacturer would produce for a global market then pay £200 to have the ‘uk’ or ‘europe’ map.
2). The tuners often tout this but ask them ‘what do I need to do to ensure it’s suitable’ or what is it that means the manufacturer couldn’t do this and they will simply not be able to answer it.
3). Models sold globally already have different maps and specifications etc.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:31   #15
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I've begun to think that Volvo deliberately produce detuned versions of their vehicles so they can get you to fork out an additional £700 to have it put right!

I've got a VEA D4 with a manual box. Are the currently available ones really all auto only?
In V90 form yes I am told so. I have an xc70 and any equivalent volvo is now auto only. It's not only volvo, the german brands are the same as is jaguar land-rover. Seems my next tow car will be a full fat Japanese 4x4.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 06:36   #16
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Let’s look at that argument which is generally put forward by the tuners.
1). If a class of vehicles xc90, q7, x5 were to compete and one had 20% more power, 20% more torque and consumed 10% less fuel it would simply win each and every single group test. Accordingly the manufacturer would produce for a global market then pay £200 to have the ‘uk’ or ‘europe’ map.
2). The tuners often tout this but ask them ‘what do I need to do to ensure it’s suitable’ or what is it that means the manufacturer couldn’t do this and they will simply not be able to answer it.
3). Models sold globally already have different maps and specifications etc.
Given that volvo endorse and sell polestar why did they not polestar the car from the factory. It is after all selling itself as a premium brand. Not much of a premium if it's sub optimal and offered as an add on is it.
Premium prices should ensure premium service.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 07:21   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Given that volvo endorse and sell polestar why did they not polestar the car from the factory. It is after all selling itself as a premium brand. Not much of a premium if it's sub optimal and offered as an add on is it.
Premium prices should ensure premium service.

Paul.
I agree with you. They should be standard.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:16   #18
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Personally I'd stay far away from that place.

No warranty offered, no proper company email and just a mobile number. I'd bet money on you having problems with them.

Shark used to be very good for Volvo, though are no longer trading.
Celtic tuning is an option but they have exaggerated claims, very few actually get the figures quoted.
MTE are good though not sure if they offer anything for your car. I'd give Don at Kalmer Union a shout. They're proper Swedish mappers for Volvo.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 08:44   #19
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Personally I'd stay far away from that place.

No warranty offered, no proper company email and just a mobile number. I'd bet money on you having problems with them.

Shark used to be very good for Volvo, though are no longer trading.
Celtic tuning is an option but they have exaggerated claims, very few actually get the figures quoted.
MTE are good though not sure if they offer anything for your car. I'd give Don at Kalmer Union a shout. They're proper Swedish mappers for Volvo.
Think the main man at Shark is now elsewhere...can try and find out where if anyone would like to know. Edit:

https://www.racingline.com/
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 13:35   #20
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Think the main man at Shark is now elsewhere...can try and find out where if anyone would like to know. Edit:

https://www.racingline.com/
I spoke to the shark dealer that did my remap, he advises that whilst Mark is now working at racongline shark remaps are still very much available through the original dealer network or via racing line. This concurs with the message you now get if you go to the shark web page http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/
I can say I was very pleased with the remap they did on my car.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote