Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Master cylinder pushrod adjustment/servo?

Views : 930

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 20th, 2020, 15:13   #1
HWKWallis

Default Master cylinder pushrod adjustment/servo?

Thoughts on the scenario below (Amazon)?

- new brakes and lines throughout
- new servo (girling changed to Lockheed)
- original near new but aged master

Bled out as normal and expected job done but..... If brakes are used with engine running then they stay on including brake light.
Eventually they clear. Without the engine running they seem to work and release.
Seems then the servo must be the cause putting pressure into the system without depressing the pedal...... But can this be due to adjustment?....

If the applied pressure does bleed away when engine off and the pedal at normal level then that's fine and I have to assume the servo is introducing the pressure in error?

Jim
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 17:11   #2
norustplease

Brakes jamming on in these circumstances often implies that the recuperating or compensating valve that allows the system to top up from the reservoir is not able to work properly and hence is not allowing the pressure from the pedal to release.
You don't say what exact model or age of Amazon this is, so it isn't clear exactly what kind of master cylinder you have, but if your pushrod is not correctly adjusted with some free play, this may well mean that the master cylinder piston cannot withdraw enough when released, to expose the drilling for the feed from the reservoir, and hence, pressure cannot release. This will no doubt be amplified by the servo.
Try adjusting the brake pedal pushrod free play in the first instant.
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 18:01   #3
HWKWallis

Thanks... Will try tomorrow.
Playing around a bit more earlier indicates that the brakes lock as soon as the engine starts without touching the pedal. A previously depressed pedal rises when the engine is started.
I was amazed that the brakes worked at all when it had the original girling unit on which was flooded with fluid!
Maybe the rod has been adjusted to compensate.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 00:00   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Maybe the non return valve in the manifold to servo hose is the wrong way round. It has an arrow on it and that should point towards the servo.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:01   #5
HWKWallis

I had assumed the new servo had an integral valve so don't have one in line.
That the brakes lock even once the engine is off and I can release vacuum and the brakes by removing what I presume is the relief valve serves to confirm that?
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:46   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWKWallis View Post
I had assumed the new servo had an integral valve so don't have one in line.
That the brakes lock even once the engine is off and I can release vacuum and the brakes by removing what I presume is the relief valve serves to confirm that?
Is it a B18? I have heard the NRV on the flame trap can fail also so you might be losing vacuum there. Try without the flame trap line connected to the servo line; a direct line from the manifold to servo.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 10:10   #7
HWKWallis

1967 B18 which was single carb but now twin SU. Vacuum line is direct from manifold to servo as with the original set up so no change there as I can see.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 10:51   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWKWallis View Post
1967 B18 which was single carb but now twin SU. Vacuum line is direct from manifold to servo as with the original set up so no change there as I can see.
No worries. I thought they just tee’d off that line when a servo was fitted. I don’t think it will be your problem thinking about it but have you got a hose going from the flame trap to the manifold also? If the NRV isn’t working above the flame trap you could be losing vacuum there.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 11:37   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard...ic.php?t=52244
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 12:01   #10
HWKWallis

OK.. So 2 informative bits there; I need to create a fuel traps but seems also to use an inline valve in addition to the one already on the servo.
As the cheapest option will try that next {FAG cylinder has no adjustment I can see)

Thanks Derek