Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 bifuel - now refuses to run on LPG

Views : 18099

Replies : 64

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2011, 16:41   #61
humphrey999

Right, it's all sorted, took it to John at Autogas 2000 and he noticed that a shim had not been replaced when the stepper motor was changed. The motor didn't have the clearance necessary at idle and was grinding itself into the distributor body. 2 motors were knackered in this way. He has replaced the stepper again and replaced the shim and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Can't recommend John and his garage enough I'm genuinely delighted to have the car running back the way it should.

I fnayone is having similar problems it'll be well owrth taking your car for him to have alook. He bent over backwards to sort it out for me in double quick time as well.
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 23:35   #62
bendavies

Brilliant, glad you got it fixed, and fingers are firmly crossed that the problems are over for you! What a nightmare process though...
Wish I'd taken my S80 up there to get the guys to have a look, instead of panicking and selling it...
bendavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 18:20   #63
humphrey999

You still here bendavies?! Having sold up and put all your troubles behind you I'm surprised you're still here! I have to say that Jonh was a revelation and retropectively it was such an easy answer to the issue. I'm glad I paid the first garage on a credit card....

I have read it from other poeple's posts so often - that autogas 2000 is the answer to everyone's lpg problems but until I went there it didn't make sense! Now I won't go anywhere else!

I had forgotten what a great car the S60 was since the LPG isues had clouded the issue. I had in fact already replaced it with an '08 A6 2.0TDI but driving the S60 back from York the other day I reflected how nothing else I have driven recently matches it for comfort and crusiability. It's so good I can't decide which to sell...

Last edited by humphrey999; Jun 13th, 2011 at 18:24.
humphrey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 16:39   #64
MrP

sometimes its easiest just to change everything!!

i ended up changing the vaporiser, distributor and stepper motor 13 months ago (and over 20,000 miles) and since then aside from one or two very minor complaints it hasn't missed a beat.

I have to echo other peoples comments here though, the guys at Autogas 2000 are superb and extremely helpful.

having just returned from 3000 miles in france its rather nice to put in 45 to 50 litres at 70p a litre and something close on 250 miles to a tank even at a continental cruise

last time i was at autogas 2000 they mentioned that the supply of stepper motors has virtually run out, have that supply situation been sorted now?
MrP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2013, 19:38   #65
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Well touchwood I'm still OK

To resurrect this thread, touch-wood, I can say that I have now soem 120,000 miles trouble-free on my 1999 V70 Bifuel and all is well. OK, forearmed and forewarned has helped. Hewey's info was great.

I nurse my stepper motor with 2000-3000 mile cleans, but it is easleir for me than most of you. Early models, like mine, the stepper is on the bulkhead. It is a 5 min job to undo the 2 x allens (3mm key) and pour soem injector cleaner in there. I've also refurnbed my dist. just because.

And CNG is cleaner anyway than LPG, so there is less crud to get into the dist.

So far, so good.

The German erdgas forum is also useful.

Tags
lpg section, power loss