Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help with a V40

Views : 656

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2011, 13:19   #1
micdee

Default Help with a V40

I have been looking for a V40 for about a month, and there seems to be nothing locally except a couple of 'autos' . AS I have no experience with autos boxes ,Can anyone tell me if they are reliable and also economical ?? Thanks
micdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 15:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

they are certainly very reliable in the V40 and expect the positive side of 30 mpg on a run .. less in town of course .
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 20:13   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

Ive got a 1.8 auto, no problems with the box so far and my economy is a bit bad at the moment buts thats due to a FPR/HT LEAD problem. Only think I would say is that there seems to be differing opinions on changing the gearbox fluid. Haynes recommends every 80,000 miles or 8 years, less if used for towing or stop/start driving. I changed mine at 45,000 miles as it was 8 years old with no issues. However other people have said changing the fluid can cause problems.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:32   #4
micdee

Thanks for your input, that widens the field for me I've only been looking at manuals !
micdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 13:38   #5
andy_d
Premier Member

ive also got a auto
If you can find one with the 5speed auto, its imho one of the better auto boxes out there.
getting about 33-34mpg combined, and i cant drive "eco" just not me.
the 5speed ,allows you to "grandad mode" and pootle about nicley, shove the pedal a bit more and get a shift on, or just Hoof it and go nutter. lovely box, or mines borked .
kick down is nice and predictable, shifts smoothly, and when "hoofed" it will Shift.
only slight downer i can think of is when your moving off from standstill, there Can be a slight delay in (less than a second) going from "just moving off" to "moving off". simple fix is to press the pedal a tiny bit more than you would in a manual. Nothing really more than learning a new car.

After having this auto, id really be loathed to go back to a manual. So relaxing and easy to drive, and unlike other auto's by other makers, i dont feel the need to grab the stick n shove it to the right gear, it just Does it and does it properly

mines a 2002 1.8 volvo engine, with the aw55 type box (adaptive if im right), love it.