Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you service your own car?

Views : 3438

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2011, 22:34   #31
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Irv Gordon's P1800 has had it's oil changed every 3,000 miles for the last 40 odd years and he's done 2,700,000 miles with only a head overhaul at 2,400,000. Can the folk who don't change oil regularly achive those kind of milages?
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 12:45   #32
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

as motoring goes you there's such varied approaches to oil and oil changes , theres the " fear factor " side, whereby they follow manufacturers recomended spec. to the letter , with dire results if you dont heed to them, to the other end of the spectrum those who put their choice of oils in , because theyre not being " conned " by the oil companies, my old boss, the works engineer, never had his oil or filter changed, just topped up ! , I wished I'd asked his reasoning, but at the time I just thought he was stupid, mind you he never had any problems, personally I love to hear personal experiences both good and bad on the subject of oil and relability , oh for the days when you just threw in a gallon of duckhams 20w50 !
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 13:46   #33
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galloot633 View Post
as motoring goes you there's such varied approaches to oil and oil changes , theres the " fear factor " side, whereby they follow manufacturers recomended spec. to the letter , with dire results if you dont heed to them, to the other end of the spectrum those who put their choice of oils in , because theyre not being " conned " by the oil companies, my old boss, the works engineer, never had his oil or filter changed, just topped up ! , I wished I'd asked his reasoning, but at the time I just thought he was stupid, mind you he never had any problems, personally I love to hear personal experiences both good and bad on the subject of oil and relability , oh for the days when you just threw in a gallon of duckhams 20w50 !
dave
I've always been a "change oil and filter regularly" but make sure the oil is hot and you leave the car for half an hour so it can drain out. I've never had an engine fail because of oil problems (well, not since I ran the big ends on an Austin A30 thrashing it up the newly opened M1)

Now, I wonder just how good engines and oils are because nothing ever seems to fail and, from what I hear, many dealers suck the stuff out rather than open the drain plug. What does that leave behind?

I'm more interested in current gear box lubrication, where many are "lubricated for life" and often seem designed to deter anybody, professional or amateur from even getting at look at the level and condition of the oil
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2011, 14:54   #34
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 961 View Post
I'm more interested in current gear box lubrication, where many are "lubricated for life" and often seem designed to deter anybody, professional or amateur from even getting at look at the level and condition of the oil
I agree with that, by all accounts the AW55-50 autobox is more reliable in Saab's than the Volvo's and the only difference is Saab have it as a service item ATF change at about 48k and Volvo's wording is so vauge that the dealers will amost always tell you it's not needed and never do it of their own voliton. I do mine every 4 years, and that's the first thing that's getting done on the new V70. I should say here that I'm talking about the older Asin Warner autobox. Post 07 has somthing special in them and I haven't seen much about it yet.

Irv Gordon dosn't use the Volvo spec oil for his engine by the way. He uses a diesel oil because he says it keeps it cleaner.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Mar 18th, 2011 at 14:56.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote