Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

roof trim and bulb failure

Views : 1896

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 16:25   #1
desd

The roof trim on my 440 is wearing and cracking exposing the metal underneath.
Any suggestions as to how to remedy this.

Also I had to replace a failed front passenger side headlamp bulb even though the dashboard bulb failure warning light did not indicate a failure.Any explanations?

Regards
desd
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 08:44   #2
Mav_UK

My front bulbs went recently with no warning, aparently the bulb is only for the rear lights and brake lights.... (Good eh?)

Stu
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 22:22   #3
desd

Thanks for the info Stu. It only goes to show that you can't take anything for granted!

desd
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:49   #4
Mav_UK

Yeah it kind of got me by surprise. I got home one evening and my girlfriend asked why the headlights were not the same brightness. I looked at the dash, no warning light, and assumed it must be because of how she was standing. Got out and no..........

Stu
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 15:26   #5
karlos

I got the same sort of supprise expecting a warning when one of my rear lights went out. It also didn't work when one of my side-lights went out - the small bulb just under the headlight bulb.

Great system, as far as I can see it only works for brakelights!

Karl
Old Nov 19th, 2002, 15:36   #6
Mav_UK

The one on my '96 440 is wired up for the rear lights as well as the brake lights - that's how I found out one was out......

Stu

Does seem to be a bit of a limited system though doesn't it!
Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 14:25   #7
desd

Thanks for replying Stu and Karlos.
Its funny but it makes you notice more
how many cars are on the roads with faulty lights.
Maybe its just the time of year.

desd
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:43   #8
IanS

I've had to have the offside roof trim on my 440 Xi replaced because of this.
Now the nearside one is going the same way.
I'm going to try to wipe these trims with STP 'son of a gun' which is supposed to prevent decay by sunlight, UV light etc.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 20:23   #9
sarumboy

I've checked on the circuit for 440's from 1992 and the bulb failure detector is only designed to monitor left & right brake lights, left & right rear side lights and the high level brake light. Having said that, mine has only ever worked when a left or right brake bulb has failed!! Seems like a common fault.

Last edited by sarumboy; Jan 9th, 2006 at 20:27.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:14   #10
peterjameo

The roof trims on my face-lift 460 looked really bad- the cracking got worse and worse . In the end I stripped some off an earlier model in a breakers- somehow the earlier version seem to be made from a different material and lasts better. Usually when prising them off a donor car, the nylon clips that hold the trim to the pegs in the roof stay with the trim. Its easier, though when refitting to your car, to take them off the trim , fit them to the pegs on the roof, first and hit the trim smartlywith a rubber hammer over the nylon clip which should them snap the trim back on again. The longer zig-zag type clips which fit over the windscreen seem easier to manipulate over the pegs on the side of the screen by judicious use of a small screw driver-anyway this was the method I used. As far as the removal from the trim of the roof clips is concerned, I found it difficult without de-forming the nylon to remove the clips by prising them out of the trim with a screw-driver- instead i pulled back the rubber finisher at the end of the trim, where it bends over slightly to fit the roof profile at the back, and then simply slid the clips down the trim. As the finisher at the back is rubber , it was quite easy to re-instate it again with a screw-driver.One should be careful, too, to retrieve the spacers that fit over the two roof -bar screw sockets. All this is a bit of a fiddle I suppose, but the new trims from Volvo cost about £60 + a side- unfitted- So I decided to use the eco-method!-seemed to work okay luckily
Hope this helps. Pete