Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GoodBye XC90

Views : 3417

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 23:00   #1
Big Stew

Default GoodBye XC90

Tomorrow will see the XC90 returned to Motability after 3 yrs of great service, it will have 31k on the clock. We will be in for a bit of a shock space wise with the replacement a BMW X1, which was the best replacement to tow our caravan off a boggy field since Motability cut back on the cars available on their scheme.

Last edited by Big Stew; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 23:15.
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Stew For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 23:12   #2
Premier Member

Shame it had to go; my father in law managed to keep his motability XC70 for a fourth year because the mileage was so low. He is already wondering whether it would be better buying the Volvo and keeping it rather than replacing it with something less suitable when this year is up.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 00:40   #3
Funky Diver
FD

Funding cut backs due to cut backs everywhere... Considering motability is heavily funded by the tax payer, sorry... But no sympathy from me I'm afraid. We all have to make sacrifices somewhere.

I am actually surprised that an XC90 was available on the list?
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:43   #4
petrolhead69

Wow. No wonder this country has financial problems and needs to tax us all into oblivion if they give away luxury SUVs with all maintenance included. I thought benefits were meant to be a safety net? I work 75 hours a week doing backbreaking demanding work and I have still had to make sacrifices just to save up for an old, used high mileage slightly rough xc90. My wife works in the public sector getting assaulted trying to keep the streets a bit safer and her hours have been cut back to next to nothing and her pension has been discontinued as a result, so going to a slightly less luxurious premium brand SUV won't elicit much sympathy from me either.

Last edited by petrolhead69; Mar 24th, 2013 at 10:00.
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petrolhead69 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:17   #5
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead69 View Post
Wow. No wonder this country has financial problems and needs to tax us all into oblivion if they give away luxury SUVs with all maintenance included. I thought benefits were meant to be a safety net? I work 75 hours a week doing backbreaking demanding work and I have still had to make sacrifices just to save up for an old, used high mileage slightly rough xc90. My wife works in the public sector getting assaulted trying to keep the streets a bit safer and her hours have been cut back to next to nothing and her pension has been discontinued as a result, so going to a slightly less luxurious premium brand SUV won't elicit much sympathy from me either.
Agree as a pensioner who worked all his life to get a new luxury car.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:46   #6
petrolhead69

Having reread my post above I don't want anyone to think I have anything against disabled people, I don't, I have dedicated my career to assistive technology in care homes which does not pay well so needs to be supplemented with CCTV and security work, and in all my time I've never heard anyone with what I would personally consider a real disability complain about the vehicle they are taken out in, I only ever hear people happy to be able to go out, regardless of if its in the back of a 6 year old converted transit van.

Last edited by petrolhead69; Mar 24th, 2013 at 10:50.
petrolhead69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petrolhead69 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 13:20   #7
owenfackrell
Premier Member

My understanding of the system was that you were given an allowance of upto an amount and you could top that up to get a car that you wanted to and with the new system they have put a cap on what you can add to it hence limiting what you can get. It is a way of making it seem like they are reducing the benefit with out actually doing anything.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 14:51   #8
gjd
Premier Member

Hello

"Free" Motability cars are things like the Kia Picanto. Something like a VW Polo would need a few hundred pounds up front. An XC90 would probably need a few thousand pounds' deposit.
gjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 16:49   #9
Funky Diver
FD

To clarify...

http://www.motabilityonline.co.uk/ca...FormSubmit.htm

It works by sacrificing all or part of Mobility (and other qualifying payments) to lease a car.
You can choose to make a one off payment of up to £1500 to choose a car with a higher price ticket.

In other words, the tax payer pays for the lease of a car, including insurance, break down cover, servicing, etc. The only thing not covered as far as I'm aware is fuel.

There are other behinds the scenes charitable payments by manufacturers, fun raising, etc... But it's still massively funded by the tax payer.

Oh, and then there's the blue badge... Wher I live, that generally means in the main... Antisocial parking at super markets and a general above the law attitude to other road users, a sweeping statement I know and I am definitely sure it doesn't reflect everyone with a blue badge... It is however irksome when I'm trying to shepherd four kids across a busy car park at the supermarket as all the parent an child spaces are occupied with blue badge holders....
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 00:18   #10
Big Stew

Believe me guys I would much rather use a skateboard and have a wife who isn't dying. Motability is a charity which leases cars to people receiving DLA the full rate mobility componate presently £50 per week. People who choose to get a car from Motabiliy can get a small car for just their complete DLA payment or choose to pay an upfront advanced payment a get a larger vehicle I.e. a XC90, we choose to do this last time and funded this from my 40year old wife's pension which was unlocked early because she is dying. The advanced payment was £5500, we went down this route because we wished to tow a caravan, also paid for out of her unlocked pension. So up to now we have paid all the extras out of our own pocket, O how some people jump on the anti benefits band wagon. Get your bloody facts right people. If you don't know your facts then I suggest you keep you misguided views to yourself's and I honestly hope you never find yourself's in a position of needing help for loved one ! ! !
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Big Stew For This Useful Post: