Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problem with LPG conversion from Classicswede, advice please

Views : 17832

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2013, 22:08   #21
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Not being funny but have you not read the thread? The car is Irish registered and can not be entered onto the UK register as it is not registered in the UK!

However if the car is re registered in the UK it can then be inspected and registered on the database.

A backfire with a mixer system can happen at any time. The ignition system is in good order and again if you read the original post it occurred switching between fuels when the LPG ran out. The stalling engaging drive/reverse should not be happening but the mixture can need adjusting over the first few weeks of use as the vapouriser diaphragm settles. (check lpg websites to confirm if you like).

Rob is decent guy just not great with cars. I've already sorted out loads of issues and botches on the car for him such as torn oil seals and burst dampers and clamped front springs that fell apart. I did not even chanrge fitting fro the dampers and springs as he just did not have the money at the time and the car was unsafe to drive the way it was.

I just hope Rob can find someone to do the work and get it back up and running at a reasonable cost. I'm just waiting for some prices and we can then come to some agreement on costs.
If Rob's DIY skills are upto it removing the air flow plate would be best and just refit when you want to run on petrol. It is a 5 min job roadside with a 10mm spanner or socket and screw driver. That would save any risk of damage in the future.

Am I an expert in K jet, no but I do know the system pretty well and have a good understanding of how it work and know how to tune it. I've only been messing around with them for 15-20 years. I also know a little bit about KE jet

Last edited by classicswede; Oct 9th, 2013 at 22:14.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 22:50   #22
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
Not being funny but have you not read the thread? The car is Irish registered and can not be entered onto the UK register as it is not registered in the UK!
Okay, fair point but you should still be issuing some proper certification and the vehicle still registered in some way even if it were not to be able to be inserted on the UKLPG Vehicle Register itself?

Whilst we are on about the register can you just clarify for us that you YOURSELF are indeed a UKLPG Approved Autogas Installer?? If your not then you would never be able to register them anyway no matter what.

If you are not a UKLPG Approved Autogas Installer then it would beggars belief why you are even doing installs, you are doing customers a complete disservice and injustice by completing work that you know for 100% insurance companies will look to see if the car is registered on the UKLPG Approved Autogas Register.

Further to the above I'm also 100% sure that you know the old LPG Certificates are now invalid and none should be issued by you ever again? Let alone the ones you were issuing last year that were already 4 years expired at that point in time.

What year was the tank dated on this install?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 23:04   #23
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have never issued any of the old certificates if that is what you are referring to. My installations are supplied with MY certificate of installation, on cars that need to be registered on the UKLPG database I take them to be inspected and registered. the car can them be inspected at any time by the QC from UKLPG to ensure standards.

There is no legal requirement for any LPG installation to be registered on the database and only some insurance firms ask for it.

The tank is dated 2012 and purchased the week before installation from Tinley Tech. Tanks can be sat on the stockist shelves for quite some time before they are sold.

Tank and UKLPG is a very interesting subject. Factory fitted LPG cars automatically qualify to be entered onto the database even if over 10 years old. That means UKLPG are accepting tanks well over 10 years old with no retest or replacement tank. If you want to discuss any of those kinds of issues then start your own thread rather than taking this one off topic.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 23:28   #24
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Sorry for being ignorant but what exactly is a 'MY' certificate??? What use is a 'MY' certificate to anyone?? What purpose does it serve, what governing body covers your work? What register does it get their install on to for insurance purposes??

A 'MY' Certificate may as well be bloody toilet roll because that is as much use as it is?

'MY' Certificate - MY @rse!

By the way what I'm referring to is this Certificate here - LINKY! - that you were issuing last year that blatently has YOUR name on it, signed by YOU, With LPGA Code of Practice 11 Certificate on it which had been out of business for 4 years prior to the issue of said Certificate!!

You then have the audacity to end the Certificate with:

Quote:
This is to certify the LPG system of the above vehicle has been installed, examined and tested in accordance with the LPGA Code of Practice 11 and found to be satisfactory.
REALLY!!! How can it have been installed, examined and tested to Code of Practice that ceased to exist 4 years earlier??

There is something extremely pungent about all this??

I think most would find this debate to be topical and not off topic.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Oct 9th, 2013 at 23:32.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 09:39   #25
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Start your own thread.

This question has already been answered in another thread that has been locked. If you still can not understand the uk regulations or have questions about the lpga/uklpg then start your own thread or ask a mod to split your questions off into a new thread where they can be answered as they have nothing to do with a car on Ireland and is totally off topic.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 17:24   #26
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Dai, I'm not disputing the fact that there is nothing to say in the UK regulations that you can go to some dodgy guy and have any old LPG installed on your car, as long as parts used meet the relevant regulations.

I'm also not disputing that any old installation by some dodgy guy could then be taken to some reputable place later and if found to be 'safe' then it can then be Certified.

If this was to happen to your installations, although the end product would effectly end up with a Certificate it would NOT be your, or a 'MY' Certificate! Ultimately it will have been passed off for someone else to put their name to and the responsibility dropped on to them for YOUR work.

Again, this is all very topical and got everything to do with this thread. Just because you may not like it doesn't mean it is not topical. I'm sure it is perfectly good information and debatable points and topics and is exactly why the OP posted the thread in the first place???

If however the OP doesn't want the debate to continue he can always ask admin to lock it off or delete my posts. Neither of which I'll loose any sleep over.

Sorry I feel the need to ask again but what exactly is a 'MY' Certificate and what reassurance does it provide to your customers? What backup does it give from a governing body if things aren't right?

This will be my last post on this thread (unless there is a compelling need to answer or clarify anything I've said). Like I said in a previous post, I do commend you for stepping in and sorting this out, I do hope the OP has a successful resolution but most of all I just wish you would stop doing these installs! If you were to get yourself UKLPG registered and able to provide a proper service and place the UK vehicles on the register then that would be much better??

Can you just explain why you don't get yourself properly registered? I mean it is not for the lack of experience you have in the field.

Old Oct 10th, 2013, 18:39   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

When requested at time of installation my installations are entered to the register/data base

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Oct 10th, 2013 at 22:05.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 19:13   #28
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
When requested at time of installation my installations are entered to the register/data base
Just for clarity, as you Dai, you like to play the grey areas, split hairs, read between the lines and never actually give a full, complete and comprehensive answer to peoples questions. It is always part truths and snippets of information.

What your answer quoted above should read is, as follows:

When requested at the time of installation my installations are entered to the register/data base by a third party as I myself am unable to enter it onto the database. This is because I am not covered by the relevant code of practice and I'm not registered with UKLPG as an accredited installer or member. This means I have no ability what so ever to issue a Certificate or imply in any way, shape or form that I'm associated with any governing body that will provide warranty over my work. If the quality of my work is not to a satisfactory standard then unfortunately your stuffed as I answer to nobody.

Basically matey you need to be putting out a warning for your 'Classic Swede' LPG installations. You need to be telling people before they spend their hard earned cash and travel hundreds of miles that you are indeed NOT a registered installer with UKLPG and that this may affect their insurance later if the insurance company tries to check the register.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here and you do provide this type of disclaimer, but I bet you don't??? I bet it is only later when you haven't supplied a certificate (well one that actually means something) is when your customers find out they haven't actually got what they thought or you implied they were getting.

As I said before this is all just a case of deja vu! Another 'Classic Blunder'! But you go right ahead Dai and stick your head in the sand. One of these days it will come right around and bite you in the butt. When your sitting in some prison cell for causing the death of some poor motorist maybe then you'll finally get it?? Hey ho! We live in hope.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Oct 10th, 2013 at 22:06.
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 22:24   #29
Bristol603

Dai fitted LPG to my Amazon last year. When I got the car back home to Hampshire I took it to my local garage for them to check over. I have known the mechanic (he is also an MoT tester) there for many years. He used to fit LPG conversions himself a few years ago. He checked over the install Dai had done and was of the view it was a good quality job and did not need any changes. The car has run well since and the install paid for itself in less than 12 months. My insurance company were quite happy to cover the car at no extra premium.
Bristol603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2013, 23:16   #30
Thanatos
VOC Member

So why did this one go wrong?

What caused the backfire and why no release valve for the LPG and air mix which is the basics of making a big BOMB
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, classicswede, lpg conversion, swede, volvo