Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More major issues with LPG conversion from Classicswede ....

Views : 8752

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:09   #1
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
A couple of points Rob has missed off here

when the car came back the engine was off the dip stick and took over 3lts of oil to bring it back to the max mark. It had only covered a couple of hundred miles maximum on that oil.
The head is badly gummed up with thick carbon and a engine rebuild has been on the cards since day.
Compression is down to around 100psi on each cylinder (dry) on my tester so is already very low. My tester is not the best so could be out a little.

The first tank did after making adjustments did around 150 miles including a lot of stationary setup time. Something has to have changed for it to be using so much more fuel now. If it was just rich running then the engine would be chugging and kangarooing with the excessive fuel.

The offer is there to take the system off for a full refund of the conversion.

Same old excuses. Be nice to do right by this guy tho eh? Are you (personally) on LPG register and are your conversions also on the register?
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:18   #2
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Swede, you are breaking the law if fitting LPG without registration.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg387.pdf

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/advice-and-information/faqs/

It invalidates the insurance and puts the driver at risk. I have found your details and forwarded them to relevant authorities, informing them you are fitting LPG, so hopefully you will soon be legal. Presuming youreach required standards of course.

Both threads pertaining to your work have also been forwarded to help them decide best course of action.

Clearly, if you are as good as your claims and are operating legally,this won't be a problem, merely affirmation.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:28   #3
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodave View Post

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg387.pdf

http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/advice-and-information/faqs/

It invalidates the insurance and puts the driver at risk. I have found your details and forwarded them to relevant authorities, informing them you are fitting LPG, so hopefully you will soon be legal. Presuming youreach required standards of course.

Both threads pertaining to your work have also been forwarded to help them decide best course of action.

Clearly, if you are as good as your claims and are operating legally,this won't be a problem, merely affirmation.
I take it you read the HSE link that clearly shows that I am fully autherised to work on LPG systems. This has been covered before.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 11:32   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Same old excuses. Be nice to do right by this guy tho eh? Are you (personally) on LPG register and are your conversions also on the register?
No Excuses at all here. I have already given him some replacement parts all FOC. At the end of the day regardless of the cause of the problem I don't mind taking the system off and giving him a refund if that is the way Rob wants to proceed.

Dave you have already had one thread locked with your constant wittering on. Leave this guy alone, he has come here for help and advice not for you to derail his thread.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:18   #5
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Quote:
I take it you read the HSE link that clearly shows that I am fully autherised to work on LPG systems. This has been covered before.
Good. What's the name registered and where?

Last edited by bongodave; Jan 17th, 2014 at 12:22.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 12:20   #6
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Quote:
No Excuses at all here. I have already given him some replacement parts all FOC. At the end of the day regardless of the cause of the problem I don't mind taking the system off and giving him a refund if that is the way Rob wants to proceed.

Dave you have already had one thread locked with your constant wittering on. Leave this guy alone, he has come here for help and advice not for you to derail his thread.
Op posted you messed his car up. This IS the thread. Deal with it and sort this one out this time, without excuses, blaming owner and making jokes at a dead-man's expense.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 13:48   #7
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Copy of email sent to Autogas@uklpg.org TODAY 17/01/2014

May I suggest anyone else with complaints about this 'Installer' goes the same route and contacts above email, referencing this one. If Swede is doing everything as he claims, and is registered as he claims, there will be no problem. This is nota witch-hunt, simply ascertaining facts and making official checks.

Hi,

I am a member of a Volvo forum and a number of complaints have come to light about an LPG installer, claiming to be registered, doing unsafe work which has damaged vehicles and caused huge upset.

One individual who was acting on behalf of a Volvo owner this 'mechanic' installed LPG for actually died after a long, stressful battle.

The installers full details and website are below. I am confident the forum will comply with any inquiry into this chap, as he clearly needs investigating. The blame for his shoddy work and un-fit systems is always put back on to the client, who has paid in the thousands for what they thought was an approved job.

I will send a copy of ths mail to them so they know what is transpiring. If you could please keep me updated with what is happening I would be grateful. Any installer claiming to be working officially, and approved by you guys, yet carrying out work of this standard should surely be investigated thoroughly.

His webpage details with full contact:

http://www.classicswede.com/home.html

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you can act before more people are stung. These are certainly not isolated incidents.

Kind regards,

Dave Wainwright.
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 14:34   #8
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
I'm not remotely trying to defend Dai's position...but...my understanding is that you are incorrect on that point...

An installer is not legally obliged to be part of the UKLPG accreditation scheme, and a car does not have to be on the UKLPG register (which requires at least certification by an approved installer) to be allowed on the road. However, you are likely to face restrictions in terms of who will insure your car if it is not on the register. The details are here: http://www.uklpg.org/about-uklpg/ukl...ed-installers/

There is, of course, the question of why you wouldn't want to be registered, which I'm unclear on...or (if this is correct - I don't know) why you would claim to be approved whilst not being...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 14:44   #9
bongodave
I've Been Banned

Very speedy reply from Autogas.

Hi Mr Wainright,

Thank you for your email and for bringing this to our attention. A look through our records has shown me that Classic Swede are not and have never been Approved Installers so I can confirm this to you.

I have had a look at their website and while this installer has nowhere advertised himself as an approved installer, if they are indeed informing customers that they are, this is something which we can look into.

I have forwarded your email onto my manager who deals with technical and safety issues.

If you or others would be able to provide any more specific information regarding specific incidents, and instances where they have posed as UKLPG Approved, this would be most helpful.

Best regards

Autogas Administration
UKLPG
Old Jan 17th, 2014, 14:59   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

And at what point did I ever claim to be a paid up member of the voluntary association named uklpg or lpga? The answer is never and nor are half of the other lpg installers in the uk.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, classicswede, lpg, lpg conversion, volvo 240