Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

460 1.9 turbo diesel poor performance

Views : 1637

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 23:04   #11
genoff2000

Default RE: 460 1.9 turbo diesel poor performance

This is a pic for the 1994 engine

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/user_files/640.jpg
genoff2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:56   #12
dralphs

Hi

yes on the pic of the 1994 engine thats the valve (with the blanked off pipe) and short stub at the very top.

The valve lower down with the horizontal lever (as on 1995 picture) is i think the wastegate auctuator for the turbo. The pipe from it should go to the inlet manifold to sense turbo pressure.

The EGR valve when fully connected has a small vacuumn pipe to a eletric solenoid valve (like the cold start system) and is controlled by a relay next to the glow plug controller. Yours doesn't have this as it looks like it was never fitted.

I don't know why Volvo kept the EGR valve in place but blanked off the pipe, unless its cheaper to fit all engines with the valve & disable it for markets that don't use the EGR.

My M reg 1995 model doesn't have the valve at all so who knows.

As the pipe is blanked off, your EGR should be disabled, but perhaps the valve has broken?

Not having one to test, i can only suggest you see if there is any way you can check if the valve is open or closed or maybe remove it and blank off the hole.

regards

Dave
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 15:58   #13
genoff2000

Thanks Dave

Today I took of the EGR valve and it is working fine.

I checked a few pipes for being blocked and they are fine to.

Then i took the CAT of and took the car for a drive and the car went
brillant.

The CAT has been the problem all along.

It was blocked.

Thanks All for there replies and help
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 14:16   #14
dralphs

Hi

Glad you found the fault.

Sound like i need to check the cat on mine as well, as my new 440td doesn't go as well as the old one although its nowhere as bad as yours was.

out of interest assuming your'e going to replace the cat, where and how much did you get one from?

Dave
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 23:19   #15
genoff2000

Hi Dave

At the minute i am not going to get a new cat. I am going to phone autopart dealers on monday to get a rough price though.

I was talking to four or five diesel fitters and they said just to punch a hole throught the box and break up the cat and it will fall out.

So i Did. I put a long chiesl down end of the box and hammered throught the wire mesh and broke it up and it all fell out.

When i lifted the cat up, i could not see any light from the other end.

After i did the above, i could see light.

The car is going like a rocket now. I am getting wheel spin in second
gear. Before i done this i could not even get wheel spin in first even if i tried, the car died.

The car sounds like it has a boy racer back box now. The noise is very slight not like a rally car or some of those boy racer cars. It is up for MOT at the end of Jan 05, i do know if this will be a problem for MOT. Spoke to some fitters and they said it not be a problem as a diesel car does not need a cat in the first place.

I cannot believe how quick this car is now. At 2500 to 4000 the car just keeps pulling away up throught the gears. It's great!

Hope this has helped you. Thanks for your help again.

Niall