Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Armoured Cable Between Ignition lock and Coil

Views : 2150

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 19:44   #1
A Sherratt
Will I ever finish!!!

Default Armoured Cable Between Ignition lock and Coil

Hi.
After thirteen months of welding underneath my P1800 I am now roadworthy and MOT'd.
Having read the discussions about 123 ignition etc I was/am considering changing my coil to a new unit, however, as you are aware there is an armoured cable between the ignition lock and the coil.
My queries for you are:-
a. What does this armoured cable do?
b. What effect does its removal have on the lock?
c. What do I need to do to upgrade to a new 'sports' coil i.e. do I need to put some extra wiring in etc etc.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated as I don't wish to make a hash of a perfectly good running vehicle or be off the road for another thirteen months!!!

Many thanks
A Sherratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 22:40   #2
austingipsy

You don't need to cut the armoured wire at all, take a feed from the fuse box to power up a new high power coil and leave the old one in place. Just swap over the wire from coil to condensor onto your new coil.
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 23:32   #3
austingipsy

Oh and change the lead over of course
austingipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 17:08   #4
mike gilbert
Master Member

Another factor is how original or neat you want your engine bay to look. I didn't want extra coils and/or blanked off holes in my bulkhead when I fitted electronic ignition and a high voltage coil. Nor did I want the original ignition lock because they tend to break the keys off and leave you imobile. So I cut the armoured cable off and threw that and the ignition barrell away.
Then I cut the old coil out of its triangular bracket with a disc cutter, put the new coil into the socket (it was fractionally smaller circumference) and used some JB Weld to secure it. Painted coil and bracket black as original and fitted it back to the bulkhead. Fitted a period 60's circular chrome ignition barrell and wired it up which was no problem. The only give away is there is a postive and negative spade connector on the top of the coil, instead of just a negative. You might be able to see it if this picture uploads.
After all that i'd say the electronic ignition was a definate improvement, I'm not sure about the coil though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69_19_id_340_23.jpg (113.6 KB, 47 views)
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 18:10   #5
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike gilbert View Post
Another factor is how original or neat you want your engine bay to look. I didn't want extra coils and/or blanked off holes in my bulkhead when I fitted electronic ignition and a high voltage coil. Nor did I want the original ignition lock because they tend to break the keys off and leave you imobile. So I cut the armoured cable off and threw that and the ignition barrell away.
Then I cut the old coil out of its triangular bracket with a disc cutter, put the new coil into the socket (it was fractionally smaller circumference) and used some JB Weld to secure it. Painted coil and bracket black as original and fitted it back to the bulkhead. Fitted a period 60's circular chrome ignition barrell and wired it up which was no problem. The only give away is there is a postive and negative spade connector on the top of the coil, instead of just a negative. You might be able to see it if this picture uploads.
After all that i'd say the electronic ignition was a definate improvement, I'm not sure about the coil though
did notice there was only one terminal on the original coil, i thought the other terminal might of been the dash end of the coil (the other side of the bulkhead)
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 21:52   #6
mike gilbert
Master Member

the 'other' terminal is the armoured cable
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 22:14   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Clarification - A single wire goes from the ignition switch to the base of the coil to make the positive connection. This is enclosed in the armoured cable.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 00:18   #8
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
the 'other' terminal is the armoured cable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Clarification - A single wire goes from the ignition switch to the base of the coil to make the positive connection. This is enclosed in the armoured cable.
ah i get it now, sorry folks
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:35   #9
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Quote:
I didn't want extra coils and/or blanked off holes in my bulkhead when I fitted electronic ignition and a high voltage coil.
For what it's worth (not a lot probably) and from what I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), the longer the HT lead from the coil to the dizzy, the more likely the deterioration of the power from the coil to the dizzy along the HT lead (even more likely with an old deteriorating set of leads?).
The P1800 has a perticularly long main HT lead.
I don't know if any deterioration would be enough however to negate the use of an uprated coil, though I believe this might be why most rally / race guys will move the coil to be mounted as close as possible to the dizzy to allow the strongest possible spark.
Magnecor do a very fat set of silicone HT leads for the Amazon. I have a set on my P1800 with a high power coil mounted very close to the dizzzy on the top of the LHS inner wheel arch.
However I do now have a nice triangular blanking plate on my bulkhead!

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 09:45   #10
mike gilbert
Master Member

Gordon,
it can't make that much difference or there would be a similar (if smaller) loss of voltage for the longest spark plug lead compared to the very short one to spark plug four, leading to uneven power between the cylinders. However the longer the lead the greater the opportunity there is for faults, degradation and failure of the insulation of the lead to occur. So for reliability I think a shorter lead is preferable. But I'm as clueless as you on the finer points of electrics.
Mike