Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V50 2.0d - Blue Smoke :(

Views : 3432

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2019, 12:02   #11
cwhaley

Thanks for the help. Jobs this weekend are to:

- Check throttle flaps for sticking
- Test battery is giving a 12.6V or higher voltage when rested
- Clean out the EGR valve
- Replace camshaft sensor (as I was given a new one)
- General check of pipes and sensors

Not holding out hope but I don't think the garage would have tested this stuff. I will come back to post results.
cwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 23:12   #12
Adrijan

I'm currently having the exact same problem also with my 2008 2.0d V50, tried out many of the things you did and still not solved, and I am out of options, so I am expecting your update! Thanks.
Adrijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 07:26   #13
cwhaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrijan View Post
I'm currently having the exact same problem also with my 2008 2.0d V50, tried out many of the things you did and still not solved, and I am out of options, so I am expecting your update! Thanks.
Started the car this morning and it was cold outside, cranked for about 5 seconds then spluttered and died, restarted cranking and had to rev it to get going. After a minute the idle was fine but the smoke lasted nearly that time!

Took ages to warm up but ran fine, nice and smooth!

I'll update you with my progress of my work. One other thing I will have done is a compression test but will need to book in at a garage for that.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 15:22   #14
Adrijan

Yeah my symptoms are exactly the same as yours. First started with slight shaking on startup for the first couple of seconds as the temps got colder, then it started spewing out bluish smoke and shaking, and then it got harder and harder to start up.
After the initial warmup it runs perfectly until it gets cold again and needs to be started.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 15:28   #15
cwhaley

Quote:
Yeah my symptoms are exactly the same as yours. First started with slight shaking on startup for the first couple of seconds as the temps got colder, then it started spewing out bluish smoke and shaking, and then it got harder and harder to start up.
After the initial warmup it runs perfectly until it gets cold again and needs to be started.
What work have you done so far to look into the issue?
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 15:34   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It could also be blown glow plugs
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 07:30   #17
cwhaley

This morning the car was smoking even when driving which it hasn't done before. Not all the time but noticeable occasionally at low speeds. Engine temp was about 50-55 C after 10 mins of driving.

I've ordered a code reader which will arrive early next week, so I'm going to search myself for any codes being thrown. I also want to get a compression test done as the behaviour this morning makes me think it's a leak in one of the cylinders.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 09:10   #18
Adrijan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhaley View Post
What work have you done so far to look into the issue?
Replaced injectors and injector washers, cleaned MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, throttle body, EGR, changed the glowplugs...

I'm thinking it could possibly be the glowplug relay - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjA7hr-guFw (see video for location).

My mechanic is now mentioning a possibility of bent connecting rods which sounds pretty scary, but I'm sure there would be more symptoms as once it warms up after the initial startup, everything is perfectly fine.
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 19:16   #19
cwhaley

Mine mentioned bent con rods too, but who knows! A mechanic at work says it sounds exactly like valve stem seals and dismissed the con rod idea.

I ran Forscan tonight and found these errors in the attachment. They mostly relate to air intake I think (Air Intake Temperature and Mass Air Flow) -- not sure if this would affect.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 18.44.01.png (48.8 KB, 6 views)
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 18:51   #20
Adrijan

Hello, do you perhaps have an update? I am starting to be more and more afraid that it is the conrods, in which case this is pretty much unfixable, short of replacing the whole engine.

Tags
blue, cold, idle, injectors, smoke