Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering lock service required..

Views : 5612

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2018, 15:07   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Steering lock service required..

My daughters car ( 59 plate V50 1.8 Petrol Man) has developed this fault and the car can't be started. Have read a bit about this issue, on here and on the Web but what I have read indicates that the steering wheel is locked and can't be turned. She has tried disconnecting the battery, connecting the battery leads together (to discharge any stored memory) half inserted the key then tap it fully home, all with out success. She assures me that her steering wheel is not locked and the wheel moves freely. I have seen a video on Youtube that claims Volvo were so aware of this issue, they actually deleted the steering lock on 59 model year cars. Not sure if this is actually true.
Therefore I'm not sure if what I have discovered about this issue is actually relevant to her car.
I have a 400 mile round trip to Lincs planned for Tuesday to see if VIDA/DICE can discover any fault codes, and plan a course of action.

Any addition advice, comments as usual appreciated.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 17:57   #2
fleming164

My issue was as you've read elsewhere, the steering wheel locked.

Mine ended up going to a main dealer to have the old lock drilled out(as it was in the locked position) and a new one coded to the car. The total cost was just over £500. I would assume most of that was labour, but I'm not sure.

If the lock is in the 'unlocked' position I would imagine replacement would be much easier, and hence cheaper if you were paying a garage to do it.

Edit: I've found the invoice for the work carried out, £276 was labour. The column lock was £144.50 and 2 'Shear Screws' were £4.45 each.

Ex:
'06 S40 2.0D SE - 178,000mi / '00 Renault Clio 1.2 - 138,000mi

Last edited by fleming164; Apr 1st, 2018 at 18:01.
fleming164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2018, 20:01   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Hi Fleming164. Yours was one of a couple of threads I read on here about the steering lock service required issue. Happy you got it fixed. But as you say yours had a locked steering, my daughters is free to move... just won't start.
Hoping someone would be able to confirm that the steering lock no longer exists on 59 plate models, and/or had any advice/comments.

Cheers
Bob.
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 10:58   #4
iainmd

I'd be amazed if the steering lock no longer existed. I suspect the lock unit replacement will remedy your issue but have you had the fault codes read by VIDA? I'd be wanting that issue fixed ASAP as if it does fail and fails locked while driving it could be hellish dangerous. That said, if it refuses to start that's maybe a non-issue.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2018, 20:16   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Default CEM-6C53- Steering lock internal fault

The title sums up what happened really..the above VIDA code was the only DTC on the car. Tried to read/erase the code BUT in order to do that you have to be able to start the car.( start car rev to 1500+; switch off; restart and await 20 secs and press ok.....Hardy har har - could not get the car to start so could not complete a reset....
OR...
the fault could not be could cleared/instantly returned....

Long story short.... looks like a tow/trailer to Volvo service centre in Louth to fit new steering lock n software..Thats my prognosis...I'll keep this post updated.

Cheers
Bob
Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:29   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Default Resolution:

Car was actually transported to a Volvo dealer, who reached the same conclusion I had. Fitted new steering lock, did the download and...........NADA..... ZILCH.

After several days of head scratching discovered bad connection in wiring.( daughter did not say where/what) Cleaned up terminals and ZOOM ZOOM.

I only hope the real initial fault was not bad wiring...I must be honest I did not check for that.. Suppose we'll never know. Live and learn.

Cheers
Bob
Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:11   #7
Welton
Premier Member

So they had to pay for a new lock?

Would be nice to know what/where this bad connection was for the benefit of future readers.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 14:42   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
So they had to pay for a new lock?

Would be nice to know what/where this bad connection was for the benefit of future readers.
Yes, they did. but not for any additional work.
Daughter thinks the bad connection was in the CEM, she did not make too much fuss as car needed additional work, which was not charged for. I only wonder if the possible bad CEM connection caused the steering column lock DTC, and all that was needed was a terminal clean.

I had a look at a wiring diagram for a 2007 V70 ( I know daughters car is a 2009) and lock has 3 wires - +ive feed, CAN bus and ground. The CAN bus leads to terminal B17 of the CEM, so it does not appear to be rocket science.

Cheers
Bob
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 03:20   #9
FREEBUSINESSES

Default S40 Steering Lock Service Required

I have same issue, steering lock service, supplemental restraint urgent service message and the immobilizer, so car won't start, tried all the turn key five times, rap the key in ignition, changed battery, won't crank, but jumping starter relay pin 87 to 30 does turn starter over, but no start obviously with immobilizer activated. So the question is, what came first, the steering lock service indicator setting off immobilizer, or something else like SRS fault on passenger seat. Any ideas since others have had same problem.

Thanks,
FREEBUSINESSES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 09:28   #10
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEBUSINESSES View Post
I have same issue, steering lock service, supplemental restraint urgent service message and the immobilizer, so car won't start, tried all the turn key five times, rap the key in ignition, changed battery, won't crank, but jumping starter relay pin 87 to 30 does turn starter over, but no start obviously with immobilizer activated. So the question is, what came first, the steering lock service indicator setting off immobilizer, or something else like SRS fault on passenger seat. Any ideas since others have had same problem.

Thanks,
Too many of your posts, not sure where to reply ;P
Not sure what exactly to point out in your case, SRS issue really doesnt "fit" the other symptoms, but from what I would recommend to investigate:
- steering lock can often seize and tapping in the steering column (like hitting it I mean) where the unlock mechanism is can often help. Other members had similar issues
- SCU (starter control unit) may be faulty and is not reading RFID info from your key, hence blocking all the starting attempts and steering lock. SCU can be transplanted from another car without coding
- CEM is often giving a lot of random and weird errors if connectors are loose and / or corroded. Worth checking out (under the glovebox, its the car's brain).

other than that - cant think of anythng else, would obviously be great if you can pull out codes from the car using Vida , but I reckon thats not an option?