Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heater core replacement - Which brand to buy?

Views : 1783

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 16:52   #1
Mattty

Question Heater core replacement - Which brand to buy?

Hi,

After seeing a huge amount of heater core failure posts all over social media and forums over the last year or so, I've decided to do some preventative maintenance and replace the heater core in my 1997 940 while its off the road.

Can anyone recommend where to source a direct replacement? I can't see many options online, though I can see a lot that are in the US that are all metal construction as opposed to some with plastic end tanks which seems much better for obvious reasons.

Are the cores still available from Volvo - and at a reasonable cost - or is aftermarket the way to go? Also noticed that there is are different listing for AC and non-AC cars, does anyone know what the difference is in cores?

Thanks

Last edited by Mattty; Nov 3rd, 2019 at 16:55.
Mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2019, 19:13   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Nissens - buy it from the UK for a RHD car, make sure you get one for air-coon if your car was/is equipped with air-con and if it isn't, make sure you get one for non-aricon.

Any you find in foreign lands will almost certainly be for LHD cars and won't fit!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 14:47   #3
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Nissens

I replaced the original Volvo heater for a Nissens aluminium/plastic one and I still regret it. It gives much less heat than the original one and it is not just me who has this experience. I would have replaced it again for an OEM one if it wasn't so time consuming to get to it. If you are not relying on your car as a daily driver, I would recommend to have the original matrix refurbished instead of buying an aftermarket one.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 22:03   #4
Mattty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Nissens - buy it from the UK for a RHD car, make sure you get one for air-coon if your car was/is equipped with air-con and if it isn't, make sure you get one for non-aricon.

Any you find in foreign lands will almost certainly be for LHD cars and won't fit!
Is the difference in ac/non-ac to do with the fittings on the core or the box in the car where the heater core goes? I was actually pondering on removing the AC since I've never used it in any of my cars and I'm trying to tidy up the engine bay. If I removed it would I be able to use a non-AC version?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 22:08   #5
Mattty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
I replaced the original Volvo heater for a Nissens aluminium/plastic one and I still regret it. It gives much less heat than the original one and it is not just me who has this experience. I would have replaced it again for an OEM one if it wasn't so time consuming to get to it. If you are not relying on your car as a daily driver, I would recommend to have the original matrix refurbished instead of buying an aftermarket one.
Thanks for the info, I didn't really know that refurbishing them was a thing - I'll look. I may just ring up Volvo and see how much they charge for a new one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mattty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 07:57   #6
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes there are many radiator re-coring companies up and down the country[and the heater matrix is only a small radiator]how the costs new v re-core would compare I don't know.
Dippydog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:37   #7
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default OEM matrix

An OEM matrix in Holland will cost about 240 Euro.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:18   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattty View Post
Is the difference in ac/non-ac to do with the fittings on the core or the box in the car where the heater core goes? I was actually pondering on removing the AC since I've never used it in any of my cars and I'm trying to tidy up the engine bay. If I removed it would I be able to use a non-AC version?
You need the A/C version of the heater matrix. While you could remove certain components of the A/C system from the engine bay, you'd be better off keeping them and actually using the A/C, for example dry, conditioned hot air clears a foggy windscreen much quicker than damp, fresh air. If you've ever set your heater controls to the screen to clear it, you've probably found the fan comes on full and the A/C kicks in automatically. This is common practice.
Also in the summer when you need to cool down, it's more economical to use air-con with the windows shut than drive along with the widows open, creating a parachute effect.

That's the subject of a completely different thread though. Unless you're going to strip the dash out, replace your heater box with a manual one, find a heater control valve for a RHD car (they don't exist new!) and all else that entails including reworking the vacuum control system for your current HVAC controls and replacing with Bowden cables, you need to stick with what you've got and if you've got it, you may as well use it!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:20   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
An OEM matrix in Holland will cost about 240 Euro.
For a LHD car Rob? Or for a RHD car?

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:43   #10
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Matrix

https://www.estateservices.nl/carros...rco-volvo.html

This is a LHD version with no. 1307236. Just to give you a rough idea about the price level of an OEM one for comparing with refurbishment. Refer to the attached page you will see that the RHD version unfortunately has a different no. (1307277, B column). I would definately go for refurbishing the old one. Should not be too difficult as it is completely oldfashioned soldered brass!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (268.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Rversteeg; Nov 5th, 2019 at 12:50.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post: