Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Grean Giant injectors, which ones?

Views : 1073

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2019, 17:44   #1
Cylinder 8

Default Grean Giant injectors, which ones?

Hi All,

I found out today that the injectors I'd ordered for my B230FK 940 won't fit due to being the wrong size, so now I'm looking for alternatives. I've heard of Bosch Green Giant injectors before, and found this part number: 0 280 150 803 which is apparently a straight swap. As far as I can tell they're no longer made.

I've also found 0 280 155 968, which seems to be a newer, slimmer version:

https://www.fuelperformance.co.uk/in...ting&order=ASC

Does anyone happen to know if these are a straight swap as well?

Cheers
Cylinder 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cylinder 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 18:50   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A good way to check if they're likely to be compatible is to copmare the flow rates and resistance of what you've already got against :

http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/flow.htm

Those "Green Giant" injectors will be way too much flow for your B230FK unless you've modified it, the standard B230FK engine is 135bhp and uses Bosch 0 280 150 804 injectors which flow 300cc and are 2.4 Ohms resistance.
The '803s flow about 25% more but are 4.6 Ohms so although you're likely have the resistor pack, it will drop more voltage across the injectors which could damage them.
Alternatively it could damage your ECU so it's not just a case of doing what someone down the pub says will work, you need to check what actually is likely to work.

The 0 280 155 968 injectors are 12.0 Ohms and flow 412cc - almost 50% more than you need (unless you've increased the boost considerably and maybe done other mods) so are likely to cause fuel wash round the bores which will wear the bores, rings and pistons and fill the crankcase with petrol-diluted-oil which will knock your big ends out in short order as well, to say nothing of your mains.

It will also be a big waste of petrol!

If you have modified your engine then bigger injectors will probably be needed, if you haven't, find some that will work within the parameters above. Check pg 19 of this pdf for the original injectors :

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...DataPocket.pdf

Also looking on the Chart linked to above, there are several options that start with 0 280 150 8xx, mainly the 802, 6, 8, 10 and following on, the 813 and 814 injectors.

If you can find the 4-pintle version of what you already have you will find better economy, performance and driveablilty but whatever you find, not only does it need to physically fit, have the same plug pattern (EV1) but needs similar flow and resistance characteristics.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 19:28   #3
Cylinder 8

Thanks for all the advice Dave. Sorry, I should have explained, the engine's already been lightly modified and will be getting a bigger turbo, IPD camshaft, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and rechipped ECUs in the near future. I'm also planning on removing the injector resistor pack, as I know most injectors are much higher impedance than the standard ones. The end goal is 280-300bhp.

My main issue is the physical size (length) of the injectors, which is something I'm struggling to find. The 968 greens look about the same as me7 blues, which I've heard fit, but I want to be sure before I buy any.
Cylinder 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 19:51   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder 8 View Post
Thanks for all the advice Dave. Sorry, I should have explained, the engine's already been lightly modified and will be getting a bigger turbo, IPD camshaft, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and rechipped ECUs in the near future. I'm also planning on removing the injector resistor pack, as I know most injectors are much higher impedance than the standard ones. The end goal is 280-300bhp.

My main issue is the physical size (length) of the injectors, which is something I'm struggling to find. The 968 greens look about the same as me7 blues, which I've heard fit, but I want to be sure before I buy any.
In that case, most of what i put above is transferable but instead of going for the same flow rate, you need to go for higher. I wouldn't recomend removing the resistor pack as it reduces the current and voltage needed to operate the injectors.

With higher current in the injectors, it creates a bigger magnetic field in them when they are operated. This magenetic field takes time to collapse when power is removed from the injectors and the bigger the magnetic field, the longer it takes - this can hold the injectors open longer than necessary which can alter your fueling drastically on a high flow injector, especially at higher revs.

Another benefit of keeping the resistor pack is the injectors will run cooler so will be less prone to heat-related problems such as sticking, gumming up and similar.

Biggest thing you'll need to know is how much flow you are likely to need, with the power you're aiming for i'd say between 450-600cc so the Green Giants only just manage the lower end of that.

I'm sure somewhere there's a chart that shows the physical sizes of injectors, i'll try and find it for you.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 22:04   #5
mhuk

I'm running 9186060 / aka Bosch 0280155830 with my 19t turbo and chipped ecu. w/ resistor pack. I cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner and replaced seals and baskets. I have a cool tool to pulse them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (44.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.JPG (81.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by mhuk; Dec 10th, 2019 at 22:07.
mhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhuk For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 17:37   #6
rockheadrumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
In that case, most of what i put above is transferable but instead of going for the same flow rate, you need to go for higher. I wouldn't recomend removing the resistor pack as it reduces the current and voltage needed to operate the injectors.

With higher current in the injectors, it creates a bigger magnetic field in them when they are operated. This magenetic field takes time to collapse when power is removed from the injectors and the bigger the magnetic field, the longer it takes - this can hold the injectors open longer than necessary which can alter your fueling drastically on a high flow injector, especially at higher revs.

Another benefit of keeping the resistor pack is the injectors will run cooler so will be less prone to heat-related problems such as sticking, gumming up and similar.

Biggest thing you'll need to know is how much flow you are likely to need, with the power you're aiming for i'd say between 450-600cc so the Green Giants only just manage the lower end of that.

I'm sure somewhere there's a chart that shows the physical sizes of injectors, i'll try and find it for you.
Hi All

I have removed the resistor pack on my 940 and fitted VXR injectors. To be honest it doesn't run particular well and when i throttle off the revs dive dramatically to somewhere around 400 rpm causing the engine to almost stall. I always thought this was because i fitted a 3" throttle.

Could the drop in revs be related to what you have mentioned above? I really want to get it sorted as it makes driving difficult.

Fitting VXR injectors seemed to be the thing to do when i did it years ago.

Thanks

Joe
HOLSET/new 3" exh+531 being installed(watch this space!) VXR 470cc injectors,960maf, 3" throttle,AEM AFR wideband, Forge MBC, Boost gauge, TTV Billet fly+850r clutch, Locker diff mod, Lowered 40mm,B4 bilsteins,Adj panhard rod,Cone filter.247400miles!
rockheadrumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 18:54   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockheadrumble View Post
when i throttle off the revs dive dramatically to somewhere around 400 rpm causing the engine to almost stall. I always thought this was because i fitted a 3" throttle.
Joe - if your idle microswitch isn't set correctly and/or the throttle butterfly (or idle bypass screw if fitted) doesn't allow for a correct idle speed, this would cause the problem you describe. Base idle spped should be about 600rpm on most 940s (there are some that are lower at 500rpm) so if you've set yours too low (eg 400rpm) that could be your problem.

Also don't forget there is a fuel cut-off above 1200rpm (some models have this as a higher rpm) on a closed throttle. Not to mention the fact manufacturers spend a lot of time and money getting the best compromise between performance, economy and driveability and you've compromised it heavily in favour of performance.

There probably is an answer but without knowing the entire set up, i'm only guessing.

Old Dec 13th, 2019, 20:51   #8
mhuk

Check the vac line from the turbo recirc valve on the turbo. If your chipped for this setup it should be ok. If your not chipped then it's a waste of time
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 23:13   #9
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

968 are a direct fit. Make sure you go for genuine Bosch like so https://www.classicswede.co.uk/Bosch..._19852748.aspx
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 23:14   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockheadrumble View Post
Hi All

I have removed the resistor pack on my 940 and fitted VXR injectors. To be honest it doesn't run particular well and when i throttle off the revs dive dramatically to somewhere around 400 rpm causing the engine to almost stall. I always thought this was because i fitted a 3" throttle.

Could the drop in revs be related to what you have mentioned above? I really want to get it sorted as it makes driving difficult.

Fitting VXR injectors seemed to be the thing to do when i did it years ago.

Thanks

Joe
Were they genuine Bosch injectors or ebay ones. The ones on ebay do not flow correctly or evenly at shorter injector durations causing these kinds of running issues
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote