Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I buy this car?

Views : 1558

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 11:48   #1
quevatre
Andre in Guernsey

Default Should I buy this car?

Hi,

I have the opportunity to pick up a 1997 940 auto estate for hopefully a couple of hundred quid. I've previously had 145, 245, 850, 960 and XC90. The idea is to get rid of my BMW X5 and go back to a luxury old hack which will run for a good few years yet. I live in Guernsey and so do very few miles. The car in question has been sitting idle for 2 years with (apparently) a knackered alternator and a flat (dead?) battery. Aside from possibly rusty discs and seized calipers, is there anything else to watch out for? this is the 2.3 model. Is it a turbo? Haven't lifted the bonnet yet - going to visit tonight. If it is turbo, are they a hassle? Will it have Nivomats on the rear like my 960 did? How easy is a tow bar to fit? It doesn't say GLE or anything on the back so any idea of what to expect spec wise? My wife loves heated seats.

So may questions!!

Cheers

André

Last edited by quevatre; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 12:52.
quevatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 19:31   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

I went back to Volvo RWD last year after having had more ‘modern’ cars, and I’ve not regretted it for a nanosecond.

Spec for this one is anyone’s guess but I think that all 900-series do have heated seats as standard.

Aside from the brakes other items you’ll possibly have to consider would include the fuel tank and any contents, the fuel pump and injectors, the coolant, radiator, heater matrix, thermostat, clutch if manual, autobox and fluid if auto.

Rubber generally doesn’t like being left idle, so any seals and O-rings could be a bit tired, plus of course the tyres. That list would have to include door and sunroof seals, any number of seals in the engine - rear main crank being a prime candidate.

Above all a cam belt change would be essential I’d say.

But it is a Volvo from the time when engineering quality still mattered.

If you’ve the wherewithal to tackle any issues then it has to be worth a go!

And don’t forget that a few years ago 200, 700 and 900 series cars were worth nothing, but that is definitely changing for the better.

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 20:06.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 20:32   #3
tofufi
Premier Member

Looks worth a punt to me

As above, the quality of these cars is great. I'm still doing 10k/yr in mine... Mechanically they're durable in both turbo and non-turbo form.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:41   #4
quevatre
Andre in Guernsey

Default Have taken a second look

I have now shown my wife the car and she didn't run a mile! The inside is a bit smelly but I think this will clean up . There doesn't appear to be any water ingress and theres no real rust! I have uploaded the chassis plate (I think) so if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4401.jpg (175.3 KB, 29 views)
quevatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:52   #5
griston64
Premier Member

It's a B230FK 2.3 Low pressure turbo. I assume you've worked out it's an automatic
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 21:54   #6
griston64
Premier Member

1997 Year
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 22:10   #7
PRainbow

Do it! One wash and polish and it will look amazing. Another weekend changing fluids & checking brakes, then another cleaning inside and you have a car for life!
PRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 13:01   #8
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Loved mine,proper cars, go for it. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work out, your a few hundred quid out of pocket and someone from here buys it...the epitome of the Relay Volvo...best thing, it works out, your a few hundred quid out of pocket,you get a good few years out of it, then someone from here buys it...not the 4x100 Relay in first scenario, more a marathon Relay...you will never be stuck with an old Volvo, it can either be fixed or somebody else will pick up the challenge!!
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 13:30   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

If you do buy it post some before and after photos please, I would love to see it after it's even just had a thorough good wash.

It looks to me like it may well be worth a punt. and as Biggbn say's you have very little if anything to loose and potentially a good car to gain.

Buy it!!!!

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 18:46   #10
volvo always
Premier Member

Make sure underneath is solid. sills, outriggers jacking points.

My 1996 940 LPT auto is, but worth checking. Same colour and engine too. Mine on 200,440 miles and goes fine and reliable.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote