Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Panoramic Sunroof in the XC90 - Is it worth it?

Views : 5219

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2019, 20:40   #11
xsaab
Master Member

I think that the default roof style for XC60s or 90s will be with the glass roof and that in the secondhand market the cars without the glass roof will be seen as a lesser car and so less desirable.
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 20:57   #12
Steve XC60
Structural member

We wouldn't even look at a car if it didn't have the pan roof... and we like that we can open it too, so wouldn't want the fixed roof style either (like I think they have on the Disco sport for example).
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 21:47   #13
CocoPops
VOC Member

I made sure I added the Xenium pack.
Makes the cabin sooo much lighter.

I’d have added a light headlining if I could, otherwise it’s black leather, black heading so hence I added Xenium with sunroof.
CocoPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 22:07   #14
Moonlanders

Thank you all for your comments. With not one negative, you have made my mind up for me.
Moonlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 22:34   #15
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I like mine although as someone else said the switch is a bit of a knack.

At 94k miles and nearly 4 years old it does not rattle. It was sounding a bit creaky on opening but got them to grease it at service and all was then well.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2019, 22:48   #16
MattDell

Love mine. I get car sick quite easily and I find having a glass sunroof helps tremendously as it lets me see out of the car and not just at the back of the head rest.

Also I’m 6’ 5” and there’s loads of headroom.
MattDell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MattDell For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 01:05   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzingers View Post
Hi,
We don't have it in our XC90 as particularly look for cars without. Mainly as I am 6'3" and I find it reduces headroom in the back/middle seats. Depending on your height I would sit in one with and without prior to purchase. The sales woman when I went ridiculed my thoughts and said you get more headroom - maybe when it's open"(we didn't buy from her needless to say...)
Good luck!
She was correct though. The roof in the Volvo goes over the head of rear seat passengers and even when the blind is closed there is no less headroom than on cars with tin roof.

It seems to be a popular cliche to complain that sunroofs compromise headroom, whether it does on any particular model or not.

Personally I an not a big fan and would not factory order a trim level specifically to gain a glass roof, whether opening or not. It just so happens that I currently have two with great big glass rooves.

Last edited by Quacker; Dec 5th, 2019 at 01:08.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 10:50   #18
Milliner

I have the panoramic roof but a majority of the time, I can't really say I notice it's there as it is quite a dark tint. I also have the auto blind setting on and again, don't really notice whether it's open or closed most of the time.

Nice to have open on a sunny day though.

It was standard on my T8 when I got it so I'm very much looking at it objectively given I didn't chose to have it, or not have it.
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 12:08   #19
familymangreg
Premier Member

We have the roof and really like it, particularly for backseat passengers. It has a sun blind too, but we never shut it.

Rarely open the roof, other than on a very hot day when first getting into the car, my theory being that it allows the blowers to push out the hot air faster at first. If it were a fixed roof, I think I'd be just as happy. It might even look better and would allow a little extra light in, as it wouldn't have the centre split.

Opening upwards isn't bad at speed, but wind noise becomes an issue if you slide the roof back over about 30-40mph.

No issues, although it doesn't sound as smooth as it first did when opening.

The blind very occasionally develops a rattle, but this can be fixed with a quick close and then open again.

A couple of years back there were some cracking, it was an issue that Volvo recognised and replaced under warranty.

Our roof did also develop a crack, no idea how, but it look more as if something had hit is, as you could feed a crack and minor chip on the outside. The standard glass cover on our policy covered it with a £80 excess to have the new front piece fitted at my Volvo dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2019, 13:19   #20
Discoman

Have and love it, never close the blind. Main benefit is for the kids mind.