Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AC is going crazy

Views : 584

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:25   #1
AlexVolvo

Default AC is going crazy

Hello fellas,
I have rather strange problem with the AC on my V40, 1.9D, 95hp, D4192T2
I cannot find similar thing anywhere.
Basically, it seams to me that the AC button looses power and both lights(green and amber) turns off. The REC and the heating rear widows are working just fine. This happens on irregular intervals. Sometimes when I'm driving 15 min or right after I start the engine. Then I put the car to rest for a night and in the morning it's OK.
What is more strange, when I turn on blower control knob (1-5 and AUTO) , the compressor is automatically started with the front (radiator) fan. After the fan goes off the compressor goes off too. It goes like cycle, that's why I keep the blower control at zero, to bypass the compressor.
By the way I used diagnosis (Delphi) and it's shows me that the AC button is always ON, trying to press it does not change this state.
Any suggestions ?
AlexVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:42   #2
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexVolvo View Post
Hello fellas,
I have rather strange problem with the AC on my V40, 1.9D, 95hp, D4192T2
I cannot find similar thing anywhere.
Basically, it seams to me that the AC button looses power and both lights(green and amber) turns off. The REC and the heating rear widows are working just fine. This happens on irregular intervals. Sometimes when I'm driving 15 min or right after I start the engine. Then I put the car to rest for a night and in the morning it's OK.
What is more strange, when I turn on blower control knob (1-5 and AUTO) , the compressor is automatically started with the front (radiator) fan. After the fan goes off the compressor goes off too. It goes like cycle, that's why I keep the blower control at zero, to bypass the compressor.
By the way I used diagnosis (Delphi) and it's shows me that the AC button is always ON, trying to press it does not change this state.
Any suggestions ?
For sure this is your ccm failing, not the Ac itself. I would try first spinning each of the dials on the ccm back and forth quickly about 20x each. You may get lucky and have this clean up some of the corrosion on the potentiometers in the ccm. If that fails Normally I would suggest thinking about replacing each of the pots (easy enough job if you can pick up soldering skills) but in your case I would suggest just heading to the wreckyard for a compatible ccm. I think your is shot.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:45   #3
Jms153

If I remember rightly when I had my v40 sport the blower fan had to on for AC to work
I prob thot the same as you at the time
My new v40 does exactly the same, switch off fan AC switches off
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:55   #4
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jms153 View Post
If I remember rightly when I had my v40 sport the blower fan had to on for AC to work
I prob thot the same as you at the time
My new v40 does exactly the same, switch off fan AC switches off
This is correct, OP - can you confirm that ac button stays on (either amber or green) when setting is anything but "0". It should turn amber (I think) when fan is at "0" setting.

I also re-read your original post, you should note that compressor turning on and off periodically is normal behavior. As for the AC fan, it should be on when compressor comes on (at least) and is sometimes on more than that to cool down engine.

I do not think that the AC button should ever turn off altogether though...at least not on mine. Always either amber or green.

Old Dec 20th, 2018, 17:03   #5
AlexVolvo

I also think that the AC button shouldn't be off completely. But what bothers me that the diagnostic tool says it's in ON state. That makes me think there's a short-circuit. I'll open it these days and see if there is any corrosion or unsoldered components. I'm not sure but I don't think that inside the ECC there's potentiometer. Probably there are different resistors for each state of the knob. I already opened it not long ago to change the bulbs, cuz there was no light at all and I kept me driving insane in the dark hours of the day .
By the way, today there wasn't any problem at all what a crazy sh*t .
Someone told me that on some cars there is a blocking mechanism which doesn't allow you to turn on the AC, while outside temperature is bellow some negative limit.
AlexVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 20:54   #6
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

For each dial, there is one pot which may be identical to the one in the ebay posting below. While there is no pot for the ac button itself there is a link between AC and fan speed i.e. if you turn fan speed to zero, then ac turns off. So what I was wondering was whether the pot on the fan speed had gone bezerk and had decided to randomly set its speed to zero thus turning off the ac.

Honestly though, it does sound like you have a possessed ccm. Ideally you would find a working ccm and switch if only to confirm that it solves issue.

I don't believe there is any sort of block. AC is helpful at any temp. I keep it on year round and it's always green...it also gets to -33degC here so I think I'd have noticed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301725481...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT