Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Questions Questions!

Views : 3015

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:38   #21
Cypher007
Master Member

Default RE: Questions Questions!

Simon Linton 33mpg on motorway?

im getting 28mpg, how do you drive it and have you made any mods
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 10:07   #22
alex jennings

Perhaps I'm a little late with a reply, but I'm defecting from the
S 60 camp and have a V 70 again D5 this time. I ran a V 70 T5 for 175000 miles trouble free, and used it on both motorway and town driving. When I stuck to the speed limit I got, according to the computer 33MPG on a regular basis. Thrash them and it will drop off the edge 23MPG is normal.
During the petrol tanker drivers strike on a motorway journey at 50MPH I got my land speed record for fuel consumption of 43 MPG!

On a trip through Germany at speeds of around 150MPH it returned 9 MPG accoring to the computer, I also was a little nervous at flicking the knob over to read it at the time I recall. I would be more concernd with the tyre consumption - 9000 - 11000 miles on a set of fronts. But what a car versatile, can carry loads of kids and associated junk, and, if you are that way out, leave boy racers standing at the traffic lights.

Happy days
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 12:00   #23
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi All.

Just to add my twopenneth, I haven't had my T5 long (C70 Coupe) but on a decent motorway journey I have been able to get 32mpg out of it (driving between 80 and 90) and around 24-27 around town or 22 if I *really* have fun!!
Driving at 70mph on the motorway and depending on wind direction, the trip computer indicates anything from 33-38mpg, sometimes it even hits 40!! (Especially if the cruise is on). My car does have VVT on the exhaust cam but this is mainly for emissions, although it MUST help a little.

The car isn't modded yet but is running on Optimax.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 13:56   #24
1stGarry

22mpg is the best I can get in my 1 yr old T5 automatic.

Whilst I'm not a lairy power-crazed race-u-all speedster, I do like to "enjoy" the performance when conditions permit. But I can't get anything like some of the mpg I'm reading about here.

What mpg difference could I expect between auto and manual?

1stGarry - Sussex
2002 V70 T5 automatic
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 17:06   #25
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Not much - it depends more on the driver than the box.
Overall, of course a manual should use less in ideal circumstances, but the auto box can be more economical in traffic and it's a lot nicer in a queue!

(Mine's a manual BTW, but I have had a 850 auto before).
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 21:09   #26
ChrisWT5

Hi Ian,

New company car this week forces the sale of my beloved 850 T5 GLT estate with the 7 seats, manual. It is booked in for Tuesday to have cambelt and major service ready for selling, even though its a bit early at 78500mls. You can see it in the gallery and email me if you want to know more. Last service was at 72000 and it has full dealer history. I've known it since birth. Tyres are new Pirelli with just 2K on.

Just to add my bit I'm getting 23-25 town, 28-31 motorway.

Very sad and boy am I missing it already.
Rgds
Chris
Old Mar 8th, 2003, 22:44   #27
Bizzy

Ian,

May be a bit late for this, but I have a V70 manual with LPG, the factory provided Bi Fuel model. The extra cost for the Bi Fuel was £2,200 + VAT and unless you do high mileage not worth it. When I paid the deposit for the car it was on the understanding that there would be a grant to refund 75% of the extra cost - Volvo got it wrong, it ended up being 60% and only applicable to agreed/authorised conversions. I ended up arguing with Volvo for 5 months before I got my money back.

Running on LPG I'm getting approx 23mpg on long motorway journeys - I think Volvo list 27mpg in their brochure, but despite this I'm still really happy with the car and a gas convert (as cheap to run as a diesel, without the noise!).

Whilst I love performance cars, there is no practical difference in performance on the road, in daily use, between LPG and Petrol in my car, but if you are after real excitement, why worry about the cost - you can't have one without the other.

Cheers

Bizzy