Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Poor running 98 V70R

Views : 2661

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2019, 19:41   #31
T5Sweep
Master Member

Again, have you checked for air leaks?
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 08:00   #32
ASt85
Premier Member

Having read and then re-read all the posts, the suggestion re air leaks is a good one, so maybe start with the vacuum lines from the air filter.

However, there is also the possibility that the fuel pump is not supplying sufficient fuel, which will cause the cut out after a good start, then either non-start or a poor restart after a stall. In the same way, a blocked fuel filter can also cause the same symptoms you are experiencing.

If you can, check the fuel pressure immediately after a stall. Press the fuel rail valve and see if you get a squirt of petrol.
Failing that, if the car has been running, when the car is on level ground, depressurise the fuel system using the fuel rail valve.
Turn the ignition on and then listen for the pump bringing the fuel back up to pressure. If you hear nothing, still try starting the engine - if it starts but runs lumpilly or lacks power, a little like going into "limp mode", it may be pointing to a blocked fuel filter or partially blocked or an electrically failing pump.

Are the plugs wet or dry immediately after a stall?

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Apr 29th, 2019 at 08:03.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 08:53   #33
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Thanks chaps for all your recent suggestions and apologies that other commitments have led to silence from me.

UPDATE :
Not much of one really. I should have bet all my $ on this one as I predicted it would happen ; she needed a new rear calliper and yep suppliers sent a 2wd version not the 4 and garage did not open the box until several days later !

She spent 9 days at the garage as a result ! My prognosis of knackered alternator was correct ( what a pity 3 different RAC clowns 🤡 did not have the savvy to put a meter across the battery terminals resulting in my 14 hour Liverpool to London trip ) replaced for less than I can buy one

She now starts and runs with MAF connected but running is still lumpy on acceleration. Garage said they put her on diagnostics and she was clear of codes. Not sure I believe this as 1 she came back to me with the EML on ( cleared and not returned in 150 miles - PNUTT sorry did not have time to call in on way to Wildtracks 10 days ago ) and 2 VOL FCR logs the same 4 codes, clear them they return

Been waiting since last Thursday for garage to be free so we can combine forces and try and work it out !

Discovered yday I have a parasitic drain, hoping it is microswitch ( yet another one ) !!!

Will update soonest
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:03   #34
Redskiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Discovered yday I have a parasitic drain, hoping it is microswitch ( yet another one ) !!!
did you try to feed her some dewormer?
sounds like what she needs is a lot of itsy bitsy bits, that will end up being like my line of work.... but im close to the end on mine
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:20   #35
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Dewormer - if only it was that simple !!

Have to say Reds from the state of the Diz I thought a replacement would solve. Apart from Cam & Crank sensors and voltage regulator replacement I have done all stripping out which would typically give poor running

But we will get there !
Old May 15th, 2019, 09:40   #36
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Just started the " Chris The Ancient " magic and whilst I am confident I have microswitch issues they are not leaving the red door liner light on when manually shutting down the door latch

So hopes for an easy fix dashed once again !
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:04   #37
Redskiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Just started the " Chris The Ancient " magic and whilst I am confident I have microswitch issues they are not leaving the red door liner light on when manually shutting down the door latch

So hopes for an easy fix dashed once again !
it can be anything from the radio/speakers not shutting off properly because of a dodgy wire behind them to one of the fuses shorting something that drains the battery...

on the other hand, i wont even be surprised if your old lady would just have a full fuel filter or a too old fuel pump... but obviously if you have fuel pressure, than the other guess is still the turbo->intercooler->engine air line... ive seen some damaged intercoolers leaking hard before, but knowing these old volvos, you might be lucky by tightening all the damn jubilee clips you can...(that solved my leaking coolant lines...just tightening ****ing 3 clips!! unbelieveable luck and stress with it xD)
The Following User Says Thank You to Redskiies For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 09:18   #38
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Skies

I have decided not to go drinking gratis all day and instead go and watch my aunt from Deal play bowls at Bromley - been far too long since I saw the ol girl

Not sure which canoe I will use but will try and remember Vol FCR so if you read this when you wake I am happy to meet you on my return trip

Paul - 07711 669 355
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 17:45   #39
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Again not much of an update really

Eventually got her back to the garage today and they put her on the diagnostic they do not like using - typically takes over the hour - and zero dtc's

Could not see any leaking vacuum lines, nothing on intercooler. Going to replace plugs which I did not do previously as they looked fairly fresh and spark test was good

Hoping it is something really simple .......... 20 + hours on ......... !
Old Jun 19th, 2019, 20:46   #40
StealthBomber

Don't know if this helps - but here goes:

I am the proud owner of a 1998 v70r awd auto with 144k on the clock, bought 15 years ago from a good friend who had it since new. It had a full service history until 2007, and has been self maintained since then.

However, I had a bad Monday this week - I was just going to visit a friend (a retired garage owner/farmer) when about 100 yards from his drive, the engine died. Honest officer I was only doing 29 mph. It becomes very interesting with no power steering and no brake servo assist. However, since I carry over a ton of tools in the back, momentum allowed me to make it halfway up his drive.

The engine would turn over, but wouldn't run for more than a couple of seconds. so I got out, opened the bonnet - checked all the fuses and inspected carefully everything in sight. The only thing I could see was that the throttle cable was a bit floppy. My friend was not at home - out baling silage don't you know.

Smoked a small ciger, had a drink of coffee and returned to my car which decided to start. So I took it round to his workshop, next to his house,got out his Wurth WoW OBD2 bluetooth diagnostics dongle, cranked up his ancient PC and ran a test.

Yes I know my alarm siren doesn't function - the batteries died about 10 years ago - but the indicators still blink when the alarm goes off, Yes I know that my cabin temperature sensor probably needs a clean I did replace it about 7 years ago. Only thing odd that came up was a fault was a road speed sensor, wherever that is - but the speedometer was still working, and having replaced the abs unit about 3 years ago - actually it was the original refurbished. And all the wheel speed sensor were working.

Having thus found nothing out of the ordinary (as described above). I set to reading the tips included in the Wurth package, and lo and behold, it suggested that the throttle could be dirty. Well, since my friend still wasn't home 4 hours later, I took my life in my hands a drove (very gently) the four miles home. It was uneventful, except that just before parking, I braked for some pedestrians and my beloved stalled again. However, it started right away, and I parked for the night.

Tuesday was rainy - so no baling for my friend. So I went back to his workshop, told him of my woes and showed him the 'tip' that I had found.

Nosed the car into his workshop, and he stripped the throttle body, which was disgustingly cruddy. We tried brake cleaner, the jizer, and then regular paint thinners (which did the trick). Put it all back together and, touch wood, it has been running fine for the last 20 miles.

There is only one downside, from my perspective, of cleaning ones throttle - the engine revs drop to tick over, about 950 rpm, in my case immediately the accelerator is released so I am presently over braking (new front discs and pads required by my MOT in April this year.

The only other indication that something might have been wrong with my car, was that a couple of weeks ago I had a distinct misfire whilst braking for a reasonably, or should I say unreasonably, slow Jaguar XKR. I thought it was bad fuel as I had just filled up with Tesco's high octane.
StealthBomber is offline   Reply With Quote