Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mystery whistling

Views : 723

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2020, 15:04   #1
Penribones

Default Mystery whistling

Hello all.
I've just picked up my second 850, this one a T5 which i love but there is a strange whistling coming from the engine under acceleration.
From cold it's very pronounced, increasing in volume and 'speed' depending how hard i press the go faster peddle (turbo related?)
It quietens down after about ten mins.

I've read a few suggestions on different forums but only generic and not related to the 850.
Has anyone else experienced this?

It's in for a new timing belt in 2 days so if i have some pointers i can give the mechanic it would be much appreciated.

TIA
Adam
Penribones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 15:10   #2
Cypher007
Master Member

Default check for air leaks

check for air leaks on the PCV system, mine started behind the manifold where there is a small elbow rubber pipe.

turbos generally whine like a siren when on there way out. if it goes after the engine is warmed up could be oil flow issues. maybe someone's been using 10w40. maybe change it out for some 0w40 mobil one.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cypher007 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 15:36   #3
Penribones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher007 View Post
check for air leaks on the PCV system, mine started behind the manifold where there is a small elbow rubber pipe.

turbos generally whine like a siren when on there way out. if it goes after the engine is warmed up could be oil flow issues. maybe someone's been using 10w40. maybe change it out for some 0w40 mobil one.
Cheers, would you suggest this is a priority over the timing belt (which wasn't done in tne ten years the last owner had it )?
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 16:44   #4
Clogs
Clogs

Default Timing belt change

Let us know if the whining goes after the belt, waterpump and tensioners are changed. (If the waterpump is original, it should be changed, as should the tensioners).

If the whining stays, then the turbo may be the problem... lack of oil when cold if oil pressure is too low and oil too thick to get through partially blocked pipes.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clogs For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 18:01   #5
Cypher007
Master Member

if the oil is old partially water logged it could cause flow issues due to mayonnaise, though would expect it to sound like a diesel on cold start as the oil would either struggle or not get to the hydraulic tappets.

I use 0w-40 mobil 1 as a rule. the oil ways feeding the top of the engine are apparently very small.

I would get the belt done asap. I left mine about 13 years as I only do about 500 miles a year. so I was driving it with a sense of Russian roulette.

all done know, the belt looked fine to be honest. also changed the water pump, though I read recently it apparently doesn't need changing until 200k, but I though hey its 25 years old might as well why were doing it.
Ferrita Cat Back (Don)
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs (Hong Kong)
PowerFlex Top Engine Mount (?)
PowerFlex Wishbone Bushes (Elk Parts)
302mm front brake upgrade
Goodridge front hoses (rears to be fitted later)
600W Inverter (ebay)

History:
1991 Volvo 340DL (1982)
1994 Volvo 360GLE (1989)
1999 Volvo 360GLT (1988)
2002 Volvo 850GLT (1991)
2004 Volvo 850T5R (1994)
Cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 18:01   #6
Penribones

well, it looks like i was done up like a kipper. Garage has had it all day and they believe the whine is coming from the turbo, there's a bodge it repair job on a hole in the intercooler and it needs a complete overhaul on the pcv system.

I checked it over best as i could as a non-mechanical type, it's got reams of paperwork and service history, old boy owned it for ten years pottering about. What could go wrong? Every f****** thing apparently.

Do i source these bits and bite the bullet or try and shift it on*? It's in fantastic condition otherwise.

*with full disclosure of the above
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 08:40   #7
Clogs
Clogs

Default Sorry to hear of your problems

You can have reams of service bills, but the usual service (oil and filter change... or even dealer service in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines) doesn't include expensive stuff like PCV and turbo repairs if "not dangerous" or requiring "immediate attention" to pass the MoT.

Most second hand cars being sold usually have something wrong with them too expensive to fix, which why they are being sold!

Your decision is whether you intend to keep this car for years so that the expense now will be worthwhile.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:02   #8
Penribones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogs View Post
You can have reams of service bills, but the usual service (oil and filter change... or even dealer service in accordance with manufacturer's guidelines) doesn't include expensive stuff like PCV and turbo repairs if "not dangerous" or requiring "immediate attention" to pass the MoT.

Most second hand cars being sold usually have something wrong with them too expensive to fix, which why they are being sold!

Your decision is whether you intend to keep this car for years so that the expense now will be worthwhile.
I'm old enough but seemingly not wise enough! I'm invested in the thing now so looks like it's going to get some new, shiny parts.
Anyone recommend where to get turbo, intercooler and pcv kit? I can see them all on ebay but recommendations are always good.
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:19   #9
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Just to clarify when you say there is a hole in the intercooler you are aware they are supposed to have a small hole at the base (on the drivers side from memory) which is supposed to be there to let small amounts of oil drain out?
I'd be surprised if there is a hole in the core as it sits behind the A/C rad. Normally the side sections rust and break off and you also can have failures at the joints to the metal core and plastic end tanks.

For a turbo if money is tight you could get a secondhand one and a rebuild kit - there is an excellent guide in the articles section. Then after you have done the swap you could sell your old one. Be aware that they usually crack in the exhaust housing and sometimes on the part of the manifold that feeds into the turbo.

PCV kit I would get direct from a volvo dealer to make sure you get the correct parts - there are variants (I would suggest FRF as they do a good discount).

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 11:24   #10
Penribones

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
Just to clarify when you say there is a hole in the intercooler you are aware they are supposed to have a small hole at the base (on the drivers side from memory) which is supposed to be there to let small amounts of oil drain out?
I'd be surprised if there is a hole in the core as it sits behind the A/C rad. Normally the side sections rust and break off and you also can have failures at the joints to the metal core and plastic end tanks.

For a turbo if money is tight you could get a secondhand one and a rebuild kit - there is an excellent guide in the articles section. Then after you have done the swap you could sell your old one. Be aware that they usually crack in the exhaust housing and sometimes on the part of the manifold that feeds into the turbo.

PCV kit I would get direct from a volvo dealer to make sure you get the correct parts - there are variants (I would suggest FRF as they do a good discount).
I've got a guy picking up my old barge on Sunday who's a volvo tech so i will ask for a second opinion on the intercooler, thanks.