Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hole on HT lead

Views : 382

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2020, 16:12   #1
Derry

Default Hole on HT lead

Could you take a look at the single HT lead in the photo and tell me if this is normal or should I change it. If you notice there is a small 'hole'. The reset of them are fine and car starts/drives ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (107.0 KB, 38 views)
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 17:04   #2
Stumo

To be sure , I would replace it- “if in doubt swap it out”.

You could wait till night, stand with your head under the bonnet , in the dark and, look for any sparking. Also lightly misting the area with a fine spray of water can produce more visual results.
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 17:15   #3
BorderVolvo

What about a little "dab" of silicon sealer on the hole...…..and carry on as normal. If the car's running well enough...……?
Old Mar 15th, 2020, 18:46   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Is it just a moulding mark or is it caused by the wire that is being held up rubbing on it? The cable being held up looks like it has a scuff or pinch mark on it too.
If it is wear I'd look at replacing it before it becomes a problem.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 00:49   #5
Derry

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think the mark/"hole" is normal. I noticed the rest of them have similar mark (see photos), its just I didn't see it as it was on the other side. If you have the same leads could your please, they are Bougicord 403 Class C-I
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cord_1.JPG (160.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Cord_2.JPG (125.8 KB, 8 views)
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 09:47   #6
turboboy
Master Member

Default Hole in HT Lead

They are definitely meant to be like that so no need to worry.

Many moulded or cast items have "features" that appear to have no useful purpose in use but are there for manufacturing purposes (for either the product itself or the production of the tooling).

For example, look at the blue extension section of the leads and you will see that there are what appear to be clock faces moulded on to them. These are there to identify the moulding tool and the individual mould cavity in that tool should there be a production problem that the toolmaker needs to rectify.

Another often asked question is "Why does my ball point pen have a hole in the side? It doesn't appear to have any function". The answer is basically to allow air into the ink reservoir to balance atmospheric pressure. Without it, as the ink is used a vacuum would form and the ink would no longer flow towards the writing tip.

HTH

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post: