Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisey drivers door ??

Views : 912

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 21:16   #1
Dunk

Hi,

My 1997 V70 today developed a double click when opening and shutting the drivers door. You can feel a little bit of resistence on the passengers door, but this does not make a clunk. Is this just a case of greasing the door hinges ? Does anybody know anything about this, or has had the same problem ?

Many Thanks

Duncan
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 08:42   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Noisey drivers door ??

This is the check strap beginning to work loose - the initial fix is to tighten the bolts inside the door hinge area, but it needs a replacement.

If you don't replace, it will tear the attachement out of the A pillar, leading to much cursing and a lot of expense.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:17   #3
Dunk

Thanks for the info.

Should I Be OK to tighten the bolts as an interim solution ?
For a couple of weeks or so ?

Thanks again.

Duncan
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 11:01   #4
ChrisWT5

The 'key' bolt to tighten is the Torx screw in the middle hinge which you can see by pushing/peeling back the rubber cover. I did my 850 and it was slightly loose and took no more than 1/8th of a turn to solve problem. I think it is a Torx 40 bit you need.

Rgds
Chris
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 16:11   #5
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Default RE: Noisey drivers door ??

I developed this on my 960 - I suspect it is the same for the 850s.

The mechanism that keeps the door open consists of a very powerful spring that runs against a couple of small wheels. Over time, the wheels cut a groove into the springs and instead of smoothly and quietly clicking into the two open positions it produces an irritating loud click. I suspect that this can be cured by replacing the spring but it looks like this requires the door to be removed.

The passenger's door gets less wear so it does not develop the problem so quickly.

So, I have learnt to live with it.

PS grease does help but not eliminate.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 21:43   #6
stevemacey

I had the same problem on a 855 2.5 GLT. The weld points on the door strap mechanism had failed and the problem slowly worsend until it sounded like something was going to punch a hole through the door skin.

I had the problem repaired at Pooles Rover in Fareham, Hants (authorised for Volvo repairs) at a cost of £50. (well worth it)

It was explained to me that this was a design fault in the 850 range but the V.70 should have the additional weld points to prevent this from occuring.
Old Mar 6th, 2003, 22:50   #7
odeane

I just had the check strap replaced on my 855 TDI '96. LHD. It wasn't clicking, but the entire mechanism had failed. The door would just swing open unchecked. Quite dangerous if you were not paying attention.

Cost 65 Euro incl. about £45.00

Oliver
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 08:03   #8
Dunk

Hi,

Just had the check strap replaced. Cost £48. The mechanic that did it said if I'd left it any longer it would need welding. He showed me the check strap !! (a metal hinge) and it had split just under the bolts. Thanks for all the info. From what I've been told, I'd suggest anybody who gets the problem gets it done ASAP. It's inexpensive and saves a lot of money by the sounds of it.

Thanks again for the help.

Duncan