Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC60...When can I floor it?

Views : 1934

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2010, 14:35   #11
Aidan Bell

Firstly I agree with Vecais that modern cars respond better to vigourous driving, and secondly "Running In" new engines is a thing of the past and has been for several years. There are several very solid arguments for driving a new vehicle carefully until you're used to it, but as far as the engine is concerned yes, you can floor it from day one.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 16:03   #12
Jaymz
N3RD

A simple example for you [wall of text follows]

My father has worked for a mitsubishi dealer for what feels like the last century

In 1988 he had a brand new Colt GTi as a company car

The same day off the same transporter came an identical one that went to a gentleman [about my fathers age at the time]

12 months later my fathers Colt was replaced with a galant GTi 4WD 4WS

and the gentlemans colt was traded in for a newer model

both vehicles had roughly the same milage of 10k, same service history from the same place

The only difference was the driver

The cars mechanically were a world apart, my fathers colt was driven at warp speed everywhere, from day one he span the tyres in a huge cloud of smoke off the forecourt when it had 3miles on the clock and redlined every gear apart from 5th as he went on his merry way. It was like a fookin rocket. All it ever required was two tyres and a service in the time of his ownership

The other car had a list of bills longer than FSH 244, it was forever going wrong, it was of course driven within the 'safe' limits for the required mileage and never driven hard.

But the biggest amazement was when the two cars were put side by side in a for fun mini lunch time drag race, my fathers colt flew and left the other one standing

The other chugged along unhappily in comparison, when the two cars were dyno'd my days was spot on the money, the other in 12 months had lost 13 of its ponies

1997 V70 2.5 20v CD 170bhp called eVolvobot
Showroom Thread || Project Thread || Volvo artwork thread
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 18:51   #13
bluesnappa

...adaptive engine and gear box...clever eh? I will need to look into exactly what that means/does and then...I'll meatloaf it...like a bat out of hell.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 19:40   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Its not rpm which you need to monitor , let it rev freely as long as the load is partial . you need to refrain from using full torque at low rpm , but with this engine thats not easy to do as the rpm increses so quickly .
Just drive it normaly , and avoid driving at 130 mph on full load for long periods until after the first service ...

Last edited by Clan; Mar 18th, 2010 at 21:42.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 19:58   #15
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Its not rpm which you need to monitor , let it rev freely as long as the load is partial . you need to refrain form using full torque at low rpm , but with this engine thats not easy to do as the rpm increses so quickly .
Just drive it normaly , and avoid driving at 130 mph on full load for long periods until after the first service ...
What exactly does all of that mean?
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 20:21   #16
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1 View Post
What exactly does all of that mean?

Completely opposite to what the Germans would do!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 22:01   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
Completely opposite to what the Germans would do!
Not at all!
Just drive it normaly , and avoid driving at 130 mph on full throttle for long periods until after the first service ...

Driving on full throttle for long periods at high speed with a new engine will NOT do it any good , ( not talking about racing engines here which have larger piston clearances ) I've seen a new volvo emergency services D5 melt 2 pistons due to doing this !

A general member of the public wont be able to do this in UK of course , and due to the gearing of a D5 its going to be very hard to damage a new engine however you drive it .
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 22:04   #18
Vecais

An overview of engine control: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_Control_Unit

My other car (Hyundai Santa Fe) develops a flat spot in acceleration and the gear changes become clunky after months of driving in traffic constrained conditions. Initially I took it back a few times to the dealer who magically restored it to original.

I found the trick is to pull the fuse from the ECM unit to reset it. Replace the fuse and drive vigorously for the initial trip. This gives months of smooth and responsive driving.

So far, I have not felt the need to do anything similar to the XC60 that remains as good as new.
Vecais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 08:55   #19
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post

A general member of the public wont be able to do this in UK of course , and due to the gearing of a D5 its going to be very hard to damage a new engine however you drive it .
Very true.

Is the D5 generally geared that way or just when new?

I am asking as I have had my XC60 D5 flat out on the limiter (130mph) in Germany a couple of times already, with low mileage on the clock (4K the first time). Got there pretty quick too!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote