Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

AWD grinding noise

Views : 3963

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:10   #1
shivcon

Red face AWD grinding noise

i have recently bought a second hand xc90 2005 2.5 T AWD 63k km's - for my sins it appears! i did hear and was warned about the auto box in volvo's but brushed it aside thinking this is a luxury car and the problems of a few were probably of their doing; well it seems not. my first question is; is it a case of WHEN rather than IF the auto box will fail? secondly can anyone help me to understand what could cause this problem? when i pull away from a stop there is an awful grinding noise which i can feel up through the peddles; friend thought gearbox rubber mounts? & regarding the 4 wheel drive- i recently went into some sand with my front wheels and got stuck (my rear wheels were still on hard ground) when i tried to reverse out the rear wheels did not turn at all and there was this awful noise coming out the the auto box, but i continued but eventually gave up and had to be pulled out by a friend, all the while being laughed at with my new AWD Volvo!
shivcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 12:17   #2
Gazdok
Master Member

Prop the car up with wheels off the ground and check for spining.

Read or have the DTCs read. If you are into fixing yourself maybe get a China Dice and VIDA off Ebay.

Find a good independant. AWD drive at franchise could be expensive fix.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 10:45   #3
shivcon

thanks, i did what you suggested and not good news. the rear wheels do not turn and there is that grinding noise; sounds more like gears grating. i read on someone else page that they had similar problem and they ended up replacing a splined collar? i suppose in the diff to the rear wheels? how will the VIDA dice help me with a mechanical problem? i'm sure i'll end up buying one anyway.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 23:36   #4
Gazdok
Master Member

If the rear wheels are not spinning with the car in the air, was your rear shaft turning?

Is the grinding from the front end?

Front end is angle gear and splined sleeve.

VIDA / DICE will not help with angle gear, but technical instructions in VIDA are quite useful, although sometimes forum repair instructions are far more useful.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:22   #5
shivcon

i did not check if the shaft was turning but the noise was definitely coming from the front. your thinking about the angle gear or splined shaft i feel is correct. reading from others; is it possible the clutch pack which tells the unit to send power to the rear wheels could be faulty, and would the VIDA be able to pick that up? looking into every possibility before the worst case - major repair! thank you.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 17:48   #6
shivcon

can anyone tell me if i remove the prop shaft will that affect the drive? i"m aware it will make it only front wheel drive but will it cause any major damage? my thinking is with no load on the rear drive shaft it will not give me that grinding noise, this is temporary until i can get the car to a volvo dealer.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 17:16   #7
shivcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivcon View Post
can anyone tell me if i remove the prop shaft will that affect the drive? i"m aware it will make it only front wheel drive but will it cause any major damage? my thinking is with no load on the rear drive shaft it will not give me that grinding noise, this is temporary until i can get the car to a volvo dealer.
don't worry, i've answered my own question. not a good idea; grinding noise worse with prop shaft off and even worse still when you de-accelerate. i am almost sure now its the splined sleeve/collar which has stripped. i had hoped with no load on prop shaft there would be no reason for the splined collar to turn on the output shaft; but not to be! fast falling out of love with volvo's.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:31   #8
440-Turbo
Master Member

I am 99% sure it won't be just the sleeve

One or both sides of the sleeve will have stripped it's splines on the transfer box or gearbox

In turn this usually also damages the splines on the transfer box or gearbox, too

It won't cause anymore damage running it without the prop, even if it is making more of a noise
440-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 04:53   #9
shivcon

My worst fears have come to pass since buying this car, what next; new gearbox? Where can I get a detaled schematic of auto box, angle plate etc. It will help me understand how everything works ? Many thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 14:19   #10
Jim Haseltine

You could take a look here:
http://www.awdwiki.com/en/volvo/
Jim Haseltine is offline   Reply With Quote