Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

no drive to rear wheels!

Views : 7729

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 18:38   #11
andy ovlov
xc70 cross country

If you had access to a Volvo Dice you could some Haldex functions and sensors yourself.

what's the volvo dice gazlok?
i had anothe quick look under the car and took the cover off the haldex unit on the diff and tested for continuity and there seemed to be a block of 4 electical contacts that allowed continuity in every combination tested. that didn't seem right.
also gently eased out an electrical component and oil seeped out so couldn't take it out completely to check it over as i hadn't got any fluid to replace it.
when i tested it in gear with the wheel off the ground the rear wheel turned. for a second i thought i'd cracked it but no such luck!
andy ovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2013, 22:24   #12
andy ovlov
xc70 cross country

Talking

thanks again gazdok.
i had the car up on blocks for a quick look. pulled an electrical component out of the haldex which released a drop of oil so had to push it straight back in.
i tried the car in gear after putting it back together and the rear wheel turned. thought i'd cracked it for a split second but no such luck! i obviously disturbed something though.
i've got power to the fuse so i am pretty sure that it must be something in the aoc.
just seen a post by niguk68 that you've been involved in about oil and filter change and the gallery he uploaded.
when i get a weekend free i'm gonna give it a good going over.
feel like i'm gonna be some kinda expert if i stick with you guys, lol!
Old Jan 24th, 2013, 23:11   #13
andy ovlov
xc70 cross country

haha, you can see by the double up that it's driving me mental now!
i thought i'd left a message. i hadn't realised next time i checked that it had gone on another page.
well, i am new here, lol!
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 12:55   #14
manualXC70R

Default XC70 R perth west australia

hi guys My name is Nick and im from perth west australia. i saw the first post about angle drive not working??. i just got my car back today and after 2 weeks of volvo in sydney australia not having one i got one from you USA although upon inspection it was found that the teeth on the angle drive are 50% worn so i found one locally and replaced the ordered one from USA all goo i shoul hope but my mechanic rsn into another problem being a manual XC70 the oile seals which are at the joint of the gearbox and angle gear are different size due to volvo sydney sending a oil seal on the thought it was a auto. but being 1 out of 5 XC70' 01 model sent to aust i managed to get one although has been modified to being a v70r wagon. list of things done to it are as follows:

2002 Volvo XC70
2.4L AWD Turbo.
5 Speed Manual Transmission
Lifestyle Edition
189k kms
Full Service history.
Full leather interior.

Special Factory Upgrades:
Upgraded Dolby Pro Logic2 HU-803 Head unit + center dash speaker
Full powered passenger seat
sport mirrors
Sunroof

Engine:
AUTOTECH tune set at 1.2bar
Stage 3 computer tune
SNABB hi flow intake manifold
SNABB hi flow exhaust manifold
TD04 HL19T ball bearing turbo
V70R downpipe 3inch ID
V70R Green 450cc injectors
IPD-USA Compressor Bypass Valve
IPD-USA Turbo Control Valve
IPD-USA Turbo coupler pipes
IPD-USA HD Coil packs
OBX V70R stainless steel exhaust.
K&N filter pod with cold air intake

Brakes: V70R Brembo 4 pot calipers (Front + Rear)
330mm Powerslot slotted rotors (Front + Rear)
Stainless Steel braided brake lines (Front + Rear)

Interior:
V70R Blue R instrument cluster with custom LED back lighting
V70R R door sills
Wood interior trim treatment
Dynamat sound deadening in doors

Suspension
S60AWD springs on new struts

Exterior:
V70R Rear spoiler with LED lights
V70R 18" silver pearl Pegasus wheels
6000K Philips HID
Euro silver rails
Window tint
Carbon treated side mirrors

Power
Was recently dyno’d at 335hp @ all 4 wheels.
= around 240-250kw @wheels and 294kw at engine.

RECENT WORK:
New clutch
New slave/throw-out bearing
New CV joints + boots
New engine and transmision seals
New transmission oil
New angle drive unit and oil seals
manualXC70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 21:55   #15
Gazdok
Master Member

Hello Andy,

Your AOC should look like the attached picture. There are 2 connectors to the DEM (control Unit), one from actual clutch and one from the car down. There should not be any dirt or oil in the connectors.
If you take the DEM off - 2 Allen bolts - there may be a spoon full of AOC oil leaking. You can take it off and clean it.

The Dice I mentioned in an earlier post is an interface to plug into the car's OBD2 port and a USB port on a laptop. You have to run Volvo VIDA - Volvo's diagnostic program - in order to talk to your car. If you want to diagnose and fix things yourself it is not a bad idea to get one. They are ~ £100 on Ebay now. Volvo charge for a diagnostic £30 - 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen2 Haldex.JPG (254.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DEM_01-marked.jpg (216.7 KB, 15 views)
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 22:34   #16
andy ovlov
xc70 cross country

thanks for the images gazdok. don't know what i've been workin on....looks nothing like that!
ha, only kidding. yep thats the baby!
all the electrical connectors seem to be well protected from dirt and water and the dem is clean inside.
it looks like the choke valve that i pulled but having no oil with me i had to pop it back before losing too much and without giving it the once over.
i was quoted £70 by my local volvo dealer just for the diagnostics. got it done at a local garage for £20 but they could only tell me the code and the 'communication error between modules' message. just wondering now if it could be a software glitch although the fuse blew for some reason.
does vida come with the dice and if not where do i get that and how much would it set me back? cheers!

thanks for the post manualxc70r. i think the angle gear is at the front end of the prop shaft and my prob seems to be at the rear!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:36   #17
kenny37

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy ovlov View Post
thanks for the images gazdok. don't know what i've been workin on....looks nothing like that!
ha, only kidding. yep thats the baby!
all the electrical connectors seem to be well protected from dirt and water and the dem is clean inside.
it looks like the choke valve that i pulled but having no oil with me i had to pop it back before losing too much and without giving it the once over.
i was quoted £70 by my local volvo dealer just for the diagnostics. got it done at a local garage for £20 but they could only tell me the code and the 'communication error between modules' message. just wondering now if it could be a software glitch although the fuse blew for some reason.
does vida come with the dice and if not where do i get that and how much would it set me back? cheers!

thanks for the post manualxc70r. i think the angle gear is at the front end of the prop shaft and my prob seems to be at the rear!
search e-bay dice!!!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 20:30   #18
Gazdok
Master Member

The Dice usually comes with a copy of VIDA. If not you can download a version of VIDA from the internet.

It also allows you to change parameters on your car and check sensors, pressurs... in real time.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gazdok For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 08:49   #19
andy ovlov
xc70 cross country

Unhappy

cheers gazdok, looks like a must have gadget!
will look into that when finances allow. meanwhile i've gotta get my fuel gauge working.
neither the needle gauge or the miles to empty function are working!
oh the joys of owning an ageing car!
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 08:29   #20
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy ovlov View Post
cheers gazdok, looks like a must have gadget!
will look into that when finances allow. meanwhile i've gotta get my fuel gauge working.
neither the needle gauge or the miles to empty function are working!
oh the joys of owning an ageing car!
Did you manage to sort tis problem fixed have a MY2010 R Design and have the message (AWD disconnected service required) any hints please?
From dealers invoice:-
VIDA no output from DEM oil pump reading 4ma cons
DTC DEM-000E pump motor

Last edited by GJB; Sep 10th, 2013 at 09:13. Reason: Added
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote