Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is it? Name the part.

Views : 801

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 13:11   #1
Fordy740

Default What is it? Name the part.

Hi Guys,

First post on here.

I have a 1989 740 SE Estate 2.3 (B230K). Unfortunately the car has failed its MOT because of a problem with the exhaust. There is a small metal pipe that connects down at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, and routes across the top of the gearbox to the other side of the block. This is rotten through one end. Any ideas what it is? As I can't seem to find any info on this.

Many Thanks.
Fordy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 13:16   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Right, that is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation pipe , Part no 1357029 if you can still get them.
It wont cause any problems if you just blank it off at each end ...
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 13:21   #3
sunnyvic
VOC Member

Cool pipe

i will have a look in my Haynes manual and come back to you..regards sunnyvic
sunnyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 13:33   #4
Fordy740

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. So would capping it off be OK to pass the MOT?
Fordy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 19:56   #5
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Because the MOT place have seen the car with the pipe fitted they might regard it as a modifications to the emmision control system. I'm not sure if the current regulations would see this as OK or not. It might be worth asking, if it does you either have to replace the pipe or take it somewhere else.
If you do remove it you need to fit a blanking plug and fit a plate to cover the hole on the inlet manifold.
Volvo supply a plug for the exhaust manifold in case someone with an early car needs a new manifold. The original ones aren't available apparently.
I removed the pipe control valve and the electronic valve as well (it's the one on the passenger side strut tower) with no ill effects to how the car runs. You will have to blank off the vecuum lines to it as well. In fact it can be a good move especially on an older car as you don't re-fill the engine with part burnt junk from the exhaust.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 02:35   #6
jlawler

What exactly is the purpose of the exhaust gas recirculation. I know it is on the LE Jetronic (B230 FK) cars as well but can't remember seeing it on my K Jetronic (B200E).

J
jlawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 08:58   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawler View Post
What exactly is the purpose of the exhaust gas recirculation. I know it is on the LE Jetronic (B230 FK) cars as well but can't remember seeing it on my K Jetronic (B200E).

J
Volvo used the EGR system which was from american versions to tide it through the new emission regulations around 1987 until the more accurate electronic injection was introduced a couple of years later .
The same happened in 1996 with the air pumps , regulations changed and it was an interim cheap method of passing the new emission regulations until a complete fix was built in to the ECU a couple of years later . Other manufacturers didnt bother , citroen for example did the same thing but kept the air pump for many years later !