Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 Features

Views : 2678

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:56   #1
davidash

Default XC 60 Features

I have had an XC60 AWD D5 geartronic with the new diesel engine (151kw) for about four months. I think it is probably the nicest car I have ever owned. Plenty of power, good ride and comfort, and loads of extras.
I had been wondering about how CitySafe works and decided to give it a try. I drove at under 40kph directly at a soft shrub to avoid damage in case it failed! It was amazing. It brakes very hard and stops the vehicle dead in its tracks. I would seriously recommend to anyone with an XC60 to try it out. It is important to know what to expect.
Just a few quirks with the vehicle features that I think should be changed. The auto boot and fuel cover opener switches are too close together and confusing. Also, the foglight switches are difficult to find at night. Finally, the electronic parking brake can be a bit confusing and takes a bit of practice. None of these should be enough to cause major unhappiness as overall, it is a wonderful vehicle.
davidash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidash For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:19   #2
tangey

I agree about the fog lights, first its almost impossible to find them, and then its difficult to work out which one is which.

THe parking brake would be much more accessible and friendly if it was on the steering wheel, with obviously some sort of overide to stop it being applied inadvertantly.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 17:38   #3
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Can't remember where the fog lights are, must go out and have a look! Agree about the size of the tailgate light and fuel flap, they could do with a bit more separation to stop inadvertent finger pushes.
As for the handbrake, I think they way it works is counter-intuitive, the on/off action needs to be reversed, also I think it would be better placed and more logical, in the middle of the car, perhaps close to the gear lever.

I'll take your word that CitySafe works, I don't have the bottle to try it!
higthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 20:13   #4
adambsmith

I can't see the issue with the handbrake switch. Push for on, drive off for off...

No need to pull it.
adambsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 20:22   #5
higthepig
Long-term XC60 Owner

Quote:
I can't see the issue with the handbrake switch. Push for on, drive off for off...
Every car I have driven has had a hand-brake that you pull up to engage, and push down to let off, hence the comment of counter-intuitive.
higthepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 20:47   #6
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambsmith View Post

No need to pull it.
Even easier if you have an autobox like me - put the gearbox in Park and forget the handbrake completely

Never used it since I got the car - in fact have never used a handbrake on any of the automatic cars that I have had (this is my fourth)
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 23:09   #7
mas66
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Even easier if you have an autobox like me - put the gearbox in Park and forget the handbrake completely

Never used it since I got the car - in fact have never used a handbrake on any of the automatic cars that I have had (this is my fourth)
I used to do that many years ago until someone shunted my car when parked .... cos it wasnt on a handbrake it damaged the box ! .... (it was a Triumph 2000 Auto)
mas66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 09:34   #8
SKH
SKH

My XC60 has the 'old' 185bhp engine but is still the best car I ever owned. I agree with the minor niggles re switch positions & handbrake (I hardly ever use it as the car is an auto)

If you think City Safety is impressive, you should try the Adaptive Cruise Control. It is by far the best system I have ever had on a car, just set it & let it do the work. Takes a bit of getting used to so as to build your confidence but well worth it.
SKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 19:34   #9
Foringo

Yep...totally agree with the comments ref the parking brake it is counter-intuitive & it operates in the opposite mode to other cars I've owned with electronic parking brakes....& it doesn't replicate the action of a conventional brake either. I've got used to it but it still doesn't seem natural. IMO it would also have been more convenient and ergonomic if they built it into the central console so that your hand would fall more naturally on it and wouldn't necessitate (me) leaning forward slightly every time to operate it. I also agree with the comments about the fog light switches being hidden which is probably because Volvo saved money in not 'handing' it to suit right-hand drive cars and it subsequently gets hidden by the steering wheel...although it's fine in the 3 o'clock position! Rear fog has a warning light in main display but front fogs don't ..although I don't know why...just for legal reasons I suppose ! Also fuel filler and rear hatch buttons aren't too clever being too close making it too easy (for me at least) to press the wrong button. Often wondered why manufacturers don't supply a questionnaire with new cars to be filled in and returned after say 12 months ownership, where they ask for some constructive criticism....this would show that they care what their customers think and may be able to make improvements if there are common themes. Overall rest of controls (including sat nav) are great and better then my previous Audi B8 A4 which had some pretty fiddly and difficult to use controls.
Foringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 23:38   #10
XC60nick

It seems that we all agree on the handbrake and other switches...

Do people at Volvo read forums like this? This should be where they get their feedback from, we are all after the same thing, better Volvo cars...

I had the same issue with my old Q7, the boot and filler cap buttons are again adjacent to each other...but with added issue of a power tailgate...it got quite interesting when i got it wrong and had two very disappointed and a little scared springer spaniels running around a very busy Shell Forecourt !!!! (for this reason alone I have not speced the powered boot on my XC60..)

Regards to City Safe, I had the demo when I collected the car, I was wondering how they were going to demo it. It creates a little concern when they pulled out a polystyrene 'wall', "so, you don't fully trust it then..?" was my comment, anyway It worked perfectly, although being an auto, she wants to creep forward once she has stopped, which is a shame, could they engage the power hand brake automatically?, anyway on the way home after the demo, I was so tempted to not brake at all when approaching roundabouts etc,

Has anybody deliberatly not bothered to brake to scare their passengers?
Can you imagine...?
"well, officer, I was kinda hoping that the car would stop itself...!"
"Ok sir, would you mind coming with me and blowing into this bag"...

Last edited by XC60nick; Mar 17th, 2010 at 23:42.
XC60nick is offline   Reply With Quote