Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 60 Features

Views : 2666

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:47   #21
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
This discussion highlights what a useless feature City Safety is for most drivers. The only people who benefit are the careless.
I think you'll find a LOT of accidents are as a result of otherwise good drivers being momentarily careless.
tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:55   #22
Aidan Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
I think you'll find a LOT of accidents are as a result of otherwise good drivers being momentarily careless.
Which is exactly why we have CitySafety
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 18:53   #23
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
You may have missed this bit:

"The system is called City Safety, it’s fitted as standard to all XC60s and it works like this. A radar “sees” the road ahead and if it senses that you are about to have a rear-end shunt it will apply the brakes for you.

Of course I had to try this out and that means I must apologise profusely to the driver of the BMW 3-series whose car I thwacked while he was waiting at a roundabout on the Oxford ring road."

Edit: I should add that Jeremy probably was not aware that to avoid the rear-end crash using City Safety you have to take your foot off the brake and apply the accelerator just before impact. Quite a few of us would have trouble with that.
And what you may have missed is that Clarkson wrote this article after he was criticised heavily for the incident that I mentioned where he chastised Volvo for producing a system that did not react as he wanted it too. Similarly in this reputed situation in Oxford where City Safe did not stop him - it would not attempt to stop him if he was travelling faster than `19km/h or he was in control - e.g. braking already.

As has been said by others - treat anything that Clarkson says not with a pinch of salt, more a bucket or lorry load
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 22:30   #24
Vecais

Even the presenters of the 5th Gear clip, that purportedly shows that the City Safety system works, say it only works if you are stupid enough to not know that your car is going to crash.

It is laughable that the system assumes that the driver is in total control if he is steering or braking. How about the Electronic Stability Control and ABS brakes, do these also assume that the driver is in control if he is steering and braking? Of course not. We need these driver aids to help sort out problems that the driver has created.

Similarly for City Safety, it needs to override the drivers effort as a last resort, irrespective of what the driver is doing, for it to be of any use.
Vecais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:09   #25
mu71rd

The reason for this is that it prevents the system emergency breaking in the wrong situation.

for example you are parking, and swing the car past an object at 10mph - a bollard or something. If it broke for you everytime you went near an object the system would be rediculous.

It is only designed to interfere when the exact situation they describe occurs - when coasting in traffic and not stopping for the car in front. typically there are no driver inputs in that scenario.

The problem here is that you ar all considering the situation where you might want it to work and it doesn't. But yo actually need to think about all the situations where it would be dangerous or annoying if it stepped it when it shouldn't.
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 13:00   #26
Aidan Bell

Agreed indeed. Consider some of what we have discused in this thread if applied to Adaptive Cruise conrtrol, Distance Alert or Collision Warning, all of which take place at high speed. With these systems there can be no simple Black or White scenarios, an area of grey is not only inevitable but is an absolute necessity.
Aidan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote