Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Brake Back Plates.DBA Brakes.

Views : 548

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2019, 20:35   #1
hylton1806

Default Front Brake Back Plates.DBA Brakes.

Help.I have had to remove front brake disc c/w hub to replace a wheel stud. On further inspection I decided to replace the back plts as they looked a bit frilly(could be original).I bought a pair of replacements along with new oil seals (now one piece) from Brookhouse(good service).The problem is that the DBA hub will not sit in the cup on the back plate it is an interference fit not allowing the hub to rotate.If you measure the old cup it is about 90mmID the new is about 82mm.Brookhouse say they only do one size of back plate for my car 1987 740 GLE Est nonABS.Has anybody come across thus problem before. Answers on a postcard please before I pull the rest of my hair out.I must say I have no problem with Brookhouses attitude to this problem would just like to throw it open to the group.
hylton1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 22:16   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Given the age of the car, it's highly possible (probable even!) that a previous owner has fitted a pair of front legs from a scrapyard to gain shock absorbers that don't leak or something of the kind. If you're lucky, they fitted the pair from a donor car.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out if this is the case, and if so, what year car are they from and will Brookhouse be able to supply a backplate with the correct size for your front legs.

Just a suggestion as to the likely cause, in a situation like this the real fun starts on a FWD car where the muppets have only changed one leg and someone has previously changed the other so neither front springs match and aren't right for the car, both front shocks are again on their way out, one wheel bearing is knackered, one disc is shot and so are the pads but the others are near new.

Hopefully you can find a solution to your problem, maybe along the lines of checking on later models as suggested above.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 06:20   #3
hylton1806

Hi Dave,thks for your reply.The braking system for the car is correct as per the info plate on the nearside rear door shut and the referance in the workshop manual.Last year when I took the brake calipers off to have them refurbed by Big Red and also replaced the flexy hoses all seemed to tie up with no problems.One off the reasons I bought the car was its history 4 owners ,a company 3years then 3 others. One 5 years and the next one 23 years the last one 9 months he found it to expensive to run (but spent a bit of money on it).I got a lot of history with the car and it showed non of the owners were afraid to spend money on it when needed.It all added up to it being an original car requiring a bit of TLC. My plan is to send new and old back plts to Brookhouse and take it from there.My feelings are that that this car has not been bodged up to keep it road worth,may be wrong we will find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to hylton1806 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 11:32   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

'Tis a puzzle then Hylton, knowing also that Volvo seemed to fit what they felt like on any given day with a lot of things, it might be worth checking if there's an older version of the backplate (for example from a 1986 model or earlier) that has the correct size hole, possibly even one from a 240 might be an option.

I've come across a few bits on my old 740s and even one on my 760 that wasn't listed for any 7xx models but was listed for a 240 and i think the 760 oddball was in fact listed for a 960 - a helpful contact in your local Volvo dealer is always useful!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:11   #5
hylton1806

Hi Dave, have arranged to return new back plts along with the tatty one I have taken off so they can look into it for me but unfortunately my work pattern is all over the place at the moment so will be unable to speak to them until next Tuesday.I can use my local volvo dealer to get the part from Volvo classic parts but they are £66.00 ea +VAT and that is more than it cost for 2 from Brookhouse,but that might be the way I have to go.We will see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hylton1806 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:54   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylton1806 View Post
Help.I have had to remove front brake disc c/w hub to replace a wheel stud. On further inspection I decided to replace the back plts as they looked a bit frilly(could be original).I bought a pair of replacements along with new oil seals (now one piece) from Brookhouse(good service).The problem is that the DBA hub will not sit in the cup on the back plate it is an interference fit not allowing the hub to rotate.If you measure the old cup it is about 90mmID the new is about 82mm.Brookhouse say they only do one size of back plate for my car 1987 740 GLE Est nonABS.Has anybody come across thus problem before. Answers on a postcard please before I pull the rest of my hair out.I must say I have no problem with Brookhouses attitude to this problem would just like to throw it open to the group.
volvo do not list non ABS for a 1987 model year , you really need the chassis type number from the chassis plate under the bonnet to determine your front brakes ..

DBA backplates are PN 9140670

Girling and DBA with the heavier B28 and D24 T engine
backplates are PN 1229746
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 17:06   #7
kelvinp

Quote:
I've always found this site very useful with parts manuals to make sure I get the right parts for mine - a 1990 Facelift 740 estate which again comes at a changeover period. You should be able to cross reference with the chassis number.

https://www.gcp.se/en/

Brookhouse shows two different back plates, for pre 1988 and post 1988 non-ABS, the only thing that looks different in the photos is that it appears there is a bigger cup on the earlier type - which type did you order?
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 18:19   #8
hylton1806

Hi,It appears I require P.No 1229746 as per Brookhouse webb page pre 88 but have received P.no 9140672 (that's the P.no on the invoice) post 88.Thks for all your help am now on the way to getting this sorted.I hope. Thankyou.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hylton1806 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 18:50   #9
bob12
bob12

Not sure if it helps any!! ..... but my print copy of the Volvo microfiche for my 1990 745 with 'DBA' front brakes (DBA had just taken over Bendix at that time and the calipers are marked Bendix!!) shows the Pt. No. for the two DBA 'Protecting Plates' to be 9140672.

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 22:17   #10
kelvinp

Quote:
Hi,It appears I require P.No 1229746 as per Brookhouse webb page pre 88 but have received P.no 9140672 (that's the P.no on the invoice) post 88.Thks for all your help am now on the way to getting this sorted.I hope. Thankyou.
that's good then. Does always pay to check what they've sent you is what you've ordered. Wouldn't be the first time that I've ordered something only to find it they've sent something different, ordered a brake pad sensor for my MG went to fit it and found it wasn't the right one. The part number on the packet was what I ordered but what was inside wasn't, so something was wrong. Annoyingly as well I only discovered it was wrong when I went to fit it.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post: