Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Members Opinions Sought.

Views : 1283

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2019, 09:02   #11
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarhoosier View Post
When inspecting a potential purchase C70 the roof may be inspected in the service position. This means in a partial open position. Operate the open button until it reaches a position that exposes all the elements fully then stop. Look at the exposed headliner panels, inspect all weatherstripping, metal support structure and so on. Some say it is best to complete the cycle by continuing in the same direction until open and then close fully completing the cycle rather than reversing mid cycle after inspection.
Volvo clearly and explicitly state that you must always complete the cycle in one direction before reversing it. This is in thr owners handbook and all the service documents regarding the roof. It’s a lot stronger than “some say”!

I am sure I read a post by a chap that didn’t, and buggered up his roof.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 14:41   #12
FredGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Volvo clearly and explicitly state that you must always complete the cycle in one direction before reversing it. This is in thr owners handbook and all the service documents regarding the roof. It’s a lot stronger than “some say”!

I am sure I read a post by a chap that didn’t, and buggered up his roof.
Hi dme123
I believe you to be correct, I'm sure I read that if you change the direction of the roof, either opening or closing and not completing the full cycle, it messes with the sensors and causes them confusion because the roof hasn't fully done what they're expecting it to do.
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 15:58   #13
mgd109

Many Thanks to All
Been busy looking at cars, In a last ditched attempt to keep my wife within the Saab family I (we) test drove a 9-3 diesel and it was absolutely awful, I will add at this point it was the first 9-3 I've driven ours have always been "proper" Saabs (9-5's, 9000's and classic pre GM 900's) and petrol as well so this was a bit of a shock. Took out an S40 diesel and although a very different car to the 9-3 felt much better despite only have 10k less miles on it, but my wife decided it was not big enough. Took out an S80 (D3 IIRC) and I personally thought that was a very good car but despite that being smaller than her 9-5 decided it was too big and she didn't like the cream interior and this is the odd thing I pointed out the smaller external dimensions of the S80 over her 9-5 and her response was that it was "vast" on the inside. Now I felt that was a result, smaller on the outside but bigger on the inside but apparently not. So took out an S60 (2.4 diesel) again I though this was cracking car (actually that's an understatement), but we had this cream interior again!!! I was hoping she'd fall for one of the "S" variants but it's not happening. I'm going to have to pluck up the courage and armed with some knowledge given by the members view a C70 and I know full well that despite how big/small the interior is or indeed what colour it is or if the car runs like a bag of spanners or the roof only just manages to open and shut juddering all the way and losing hydraulic fluid from all the rams it will still be perfect and we will need to buy it there and then.
mgd109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:50   #14
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd109 View Post
x
Why not try a petrol?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 15:22   #15
dme123
Master Member

Late Saabs were very poorly made, they felt cheap when new and didn't wear at all well. Very sad considering how robust even the GM 900 was.

The C70 is very well made, almost no common issues, and the mechanicals are all very well proven. Mine is a D5 manual and it is effective and efficient, but rather coarse. I'd have liked a T5 but was covering big mileages when I bought it.

I'd restrict my search to MY '08 (late 57 plate onwards) cars as they fixed quite a few gremlins. You can get some with "Sovereign hide" leather which is far nicer than the standard stuff. There are some ugly has hell trim combos (light grey and cream) but plenty of all black or black trim and white leather cars out there that look great.

Spacious inside for a convertible, but not cavernous by any stretch. Excellent seats and high quality trim too.

SE Lux cars have an astonishingly good stereo and are well worth seeking out, although the 18" wheels do the ride no favours at all.

I've owned a lot of cars, some very much more expensive than the C70, but it's the one I've kept longest!
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2019, 16:15   #16
mgd109

=
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
Why not try a petrol?
Fuel consumption/road tax is the short answer. We are in a slightly unusually position in that we have just one family car between us which to all intents and purposes is my wife’s car (motorbikes for me I’m afraid). If is was just a second car for my wife petrol would be fine. Our current 9-5 is 2005 which reduces it’s road tax (still over £300) one a year younger would be getting on for double that. Official urban cycle is 18 mpg. Contrast that with the S80 I took out. Official urban cycle is 36 mpg and current road tax. £200. Now I’m well aware official mpg figures are very often not that accurate but it’s still hard to argue with those numbers. The S80 didn’t feel overly compromised to me. It was marginally less refined when moving off from standstill when compared to my rather long in the tooth 9-5 but minimal and once underway it felt quite a bit better. My wife would dearly love open top motoring but we have to temper that with it being needed for all the normal family duties as well. I thought a C70 could (may well still) do both. I’m lucky I don’t have to give a moments thought as to passenger comfort/fuel consumption/road tax (or indeed what colour the dash is) when I get a new bike, test ride them and whichever leaves me with the biggest grin is coming home with me, simple.

Quote:
…...There are some ugly has hell trim combos (light grey and cream) but plenty of all black or black trim and white leather cars out there that look great......

That genuinely did make me laugh out loud. I did see one Volvo with what I'll swear was "pine" trimmings, Of all the spares/parts and servicing items I've bought over the years wood stain has yet to be amongst them but if it was my car I'd have to do something about that.
mgd109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 20:07   #17
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
There are some ugly has hell trim combos (light grey and cream)
Hey what's wrong with that colour combination?!

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 21:34   #18
iantowil

Yep, another +1 for light grey and cream.

However my 2008 C70 D5 manual has been the most problematic car I've ever owned with many having similar problems on here:

Leaking boot
Rear tyres step way too easily
AM failed on the radio
Brake pressure sensor failure
Bi xenon ballast failure twice
Alarm failure and going off randomly with service required on dash
Broken front spring
Two front wheel bearings
Two rear shock absorbers
Front window winder cable snapped
Window washer pump failed
Rear number plate lights fell apart
Tow hook electric connector corroded and fell off

In all that it hasn't left me stranded.......yet.....come close though.
I don't think I'll be buying another Volvo......but it is a lovely car with the roof down.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 16:48   #19
S402002

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Yep, another +1 for light grey and cream.

However my 2008 C70 D5 manual has been the most problematic car I've ever owned with many having similar problems on here:

Leaking boot
Rear tyres step way too easily
AM failed on the radio
Brake pressure sensor failure
Bi xenon ballast failure twice
Alarm failure and going off randomly with service required on dash
Broken front spring
Two front wheel bearings
Two rear shock absorbers
Front window winder cable snapped
Window washer pump failed
Rear number plate lights fell apart
Tow hook electric connector corroded and fell off

In all that it hasn't left me stranded.......yet.....come close though.
I don't think I'll be buying another Volvo......but it is a lovely car with the roof down.

i have same feeling, no more volvo! Even my local dealership confirmed as they're crap ! in my one i did replaced also shocks and struts as they're cracks easily ! and may cause roof clunks at not smooth surface, also quite common rear antirollbar bushes- quite common and also may make roof noises. after replacing its pretty solid. it let me down during the 1100 miles trip as alternator belt broke. it stopped coz of a/c compressor which runs the same pulley as alternator so if one break u cant drive, and if ure unlucky can damage engine as alternator belt may go straight into cambelt. I have d5 version so swirl flaps qute common and i did replaced them as well. brake servo. what not broke yet is roof, turbo, transmission and steering rack im feeling sick having this car there is always something to do and always bills ends up with goooooood couple hundreds. seats are poor quality as they rips off and cracks easily. driveshafts replaced twice!! Never had that hug problems with another cars! when u drop ur roof down u forget about that but....Its my last Volvo! never ever Volvo. Maybe old ones like my old s40 which i sold that was unbreakable tank!!! Sold with 200k on the clock as bi fuel-runs on lpg from factory!
S402002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 23:13   #20
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd109 View Post
=

Fuel consumption/road tax is the short answer. We are in a slightly unusually position in that we have just one family car between us which to all intents and purposes is my wife’s car (motorbikes for me I’m afraid). If is was just a second car for my wife petrol would be fine. Our current 9-5 is 2005 which reduces it’s road tax (still over £300) one a year younger would be getting on for double that. Official urban cycle is 18 mpg. Contrast that with the S80 I took out. Official urban cycle is 36 mpg and current road tax. £200. Now I’m well aware official mpg figures are very often not that accurate but it’s still hard to argue with those numbers. The S80 didn’t feel overly compromised to me. It was marginally less refined when moving off from standstill when compared to my rather long in the tooth 9-5 but minimal and once underway it felt quite a bit better. My wife would dearly love open top motoring but we have to temper that with it being needed for all the normal family duties as well. I thought a C70 could (may well still) do both. I’m lucky I don’t have to give a moments thought as to passenger comfort/fuel consumption/road tax (or indeed what colour the dash is) when I get a new bike, test ride them and whichever leaves me with the biggest grin is coming home with me, simple.
Personally I'd take the financial hit for the peace of mind of taking the more public health friendly engine! Anyway.. is that 9-5 an automatic? My 9-5 Aero was just over £300 a year tax - manual.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote