Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

diy fit LPG where do i put the gas injectors on the manifold

Views : 9275

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 02:00   #1
FatLadZ

Red face diy fit LPG where do i put the gas injectors on the manifold

HI guys im new to lpg and ive just bought a kit to DIY fit
problem is i dont know where to drill and tap the intake manifold
could one of you please show me a photo of one you have already done
ive got a 1999 c70 on an me7
cheers
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:58   #2
kenny
Master Member

i'm sorry but i think you are mad,
LPG fitters go on very expensive courses so they know how to fit LPG systems.
They are kept upto date with the latest spec and rules.
if your system has an ECU how will you set it up? if it doesn't have an ECU it's not worth fitting.
Your insurance company will want an instilation certificate and will probably not cover you without one, if you don't tell them it's fitted, you will find yourself without cover when you need it. you say you are new to LPG and infact state you don't even know where to put the injectors, if you make a mistake you will have no end of problems getting your car to run peoperly.
Lets just hope that's all that goes wrong, make a real bad job of it and your car, wife and kids could all go up in a fire ball.
Please please please do yourself a big favor, take your kit to an approved LPG fitter and pay him to fit it.
If you were to fit a gas system in your house and it went wrong you would go to jail as many people have done, i sure the same would happen if your car was to blow up and you were lucky enough to get out.
please do not be offended by what i have said there is no job i would not undertake on any car i have been in and arround the motor trade for over 25 years and have had 2 cars with LPG and my boat runs on LPG bowever i would not play about with fitting an LPG kit. leave it to the experts.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:28   #3
Blue 8
Premier Member

Take this car and your kit to someone who is qualified to install it

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy

Last edited by Blue 8; Sep 20th, 2009 at 12:57.
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 13:59   #4
FatLadZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
i'm sorry but i think you are mad,
LPG fitters go on very expensive courses so they know how to fit LPG systems.
They are kept upto date with the latest spec and rules.
if your system has an ECU how will you set it up? if it doesn't have an ECU it's not worth fitting.
Your insurance company will want an instilation certificate and will probably not cover you without one, if you don't tell them it's fitted, you will find yourself without cover when you need it. you say you are new to LPG and infact state you don't even know where to put the injectors, if you make a mistake you will have no end of problems getting your car to run peoperly.
Lets just hope that's all that goes wrong, make a real bad job of it and your car, wife and kids could all go up in a fire ball.
Please please please do yourself a big favor, take your kit to an approved LPG fitter and pay him to fit it.
If you were to fit a gas system in your house and it went wrong you would go to jail as many people have done, i sure the same would happen if your car was to blow up and you were lucky enough to get out.
please do not be offended by what i have said there is no job i would not undertake on any car i have been in and arround the motor trade for over 25 years and have had 2 cars with LPG and my boat runs on LPG bowever i would not play about with fitting an LPG kit. leave it to the experts.
Thanks for your concern Kenny
But i am still going to be fitting this kit myself.
im more than capable of plumbing in and wiring the kit myself and would just like to know the exact spot for fitting the injectors on an ME7 engine.
I am however taking the car to be checked over and set up by the dealer that is the main distributor and installer of this kit and he will be issuing me with a certificate for the insurance company.
He will also be setting it up while its there.
Im aware of the legislations i.e. that you need to be able to have a 50kg load on the filler nozzle and the usual of not running pipes near the exhaust ect ect... as ive spent weeks reading up on it before i decided to take the plunge
You can be rest assured that i will not be connecting the gas bottle up and ill be waiting until the qualified lpg fitter tests it over.

now any chance anyone can help with a close up of where the gas goes in from the lpg injector?
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 19:31   #5
capt jack
VOC Member

Exclamation Lpg diy?

I have to echo the comments of the other posts on here. LPG is a DIY proposition, but only if you know what you're doing. The principle is quite simple but as with anything simple, the devil is in the detail. The labour content of a conversion is around £500 to £600, and the job takes the experts 3 to 4 days.

I'm surprised and a bit concerned that the kit supplied doesn't have clearer instructions.

If the kit you've bought is designed for DIY then the instruction manual is part of the kit and must meet the applicable regulations. If the instructions supplied are not clear then it makes me wonder what other small but important details might be missing! Part of my job is writing instruction manuals and service books for medical equipment, and these days, short cuts and missing detail is just not acceptable.

The picture illustrates the Tartarini set-up in my V70 2.5 auto. However, the kit you have may have different requirements and I think you'd be well advised to go back to the dealer who supplied the kit and ask for their guidance. Get it wrong and you risk the car not running properly. At worst it could be dangerous. I reckon you're also likely to find that if you can't get it to run properly then you'll end up paying far more for someone else to put it right.

There are stories on here of LPG conversions causing problems with the car's ECU, triggering the engine management light, poor running etc etc. If you've handed the job over to a fitter that's his problem. When you do it yourself then it's your problem.

As the kit suppliers have said that they're prepared to inspect and certificate your installation work then they should be equally willing to give you advice on how to fit it properly.

Of course it could be that they're hoping you run into problems so that they can then charge you even more to put it right! Be aware that there are cowboys at large in the LPG business.

Please take your time and think about this.

Cheers

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.jpg (60.5 KB, 49 views)
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 20:05   #6
FatLadZ

i bought the kit off ebay and it was removed from the previous owners car.
it had been proffessionally fitted before and the guy that supplies the kit and fitted it to the previous owners car has been very helfull.
he even said that if theres anything that he can help with then feel free to call him
i do plan on taking my time fitting this kit and will be trying to make the kit look like it belongs under the bonnet by taking the extra time and thought into how things are mounted safely.
thanks very much captain jack for the photo.
for the record and others searching ive now found out that the holes need to be drilled no more than 300mm away from the intake manifold
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 20:06   #7
FatLadZ

oh btw the kit has only done 800 miles and is like brand new
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 00:42   #8
FatLadZ

just a quick update for all
the injectors and solenoids were fitted successfully
the whole kit is now wired up apart from the coil pickup which im leaving for the lpg fitter to connect up.
theres alot of hard work involved in fitting the kit ergonomically but i feel that ive maaged it well.
i showed a couple of logal LPG fitters my work and asked them to check it over and both were impressed with what they saw.
they also both liked my retractable filler point that drops down from under the rear bumper and then goes back up in the bumper out of sight
saturday im off over for a 3 hour drive on petrol and all being well driving home on LPG with my car running sweet
The Following User Says Thank You to FatLadZ For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 13:18   #9
GavinC
GavinC

Welcome to clean burning, great value LPG and best of luck...

I, for one, would never, ever consider buying an LPG car unless I have incontrovertible proof that it has been fitted by a professional, reputable, certificated LPG fitter. Or unless it has been checked out, and certificated as such, by one... But then, could I really trust it was checked out properly?

With poor LPG fitting, not only are there possible consequences of disappointing, troublesome, uneconomical running but there is also the very real risk that an otherwise very safe fuel (safer than petrol when properly fitted... but a lot of people don't know/believe that) can be very DANGEROUS... and in a certain unfortunate combination of circumstances... explosively so! Can go BANG! like a bomb...
GavinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 14:19   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
Welcome to clean burning, great value LPG and best of luck...

I, for one, would never, ever consider buying an LPG car unless I have incontrovertible proof that it has been fitted by a professional, reputable, certificated LPG fitter. Or unless it has been checked out, and certificated as such, by one... But then, could I really trust it was checked out properly?

With poor LPG fitting, not only are there possible consequences of disappointing, troublesome, uneconomical running but there is also the very real risk that an otherwise very safe fuel (safer than petrol when properly fitted... but a lot of people don't know/believe that) can be very DANGEROUS... and in a certain unfortunate combination of circumstances... explosively so! Can go BANG! like a bomb...
100% agree.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote