Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VolvoTech CFE Canbus feature extender review.

Views : 40822

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2015, 11:19   #101
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
I doubt they would do this as its a legal requirement the DRLs are extinguished when dipped headlights are on. This is because DRLs have to be bright enough to be clearly seen on a sunny day, they are likely to dazzle other drivers at night. Some new cars do leave the DRLs on when the dipped headlights are operating but this is at a much reduced brightness (ie equivalent to a side light).
DRLs are allowed in combi if they are dimmed like you mention.

TBH im not sure Volvotech would be bothered too much about construction and use regs. - its all 'use at your own risk' stuff anyway.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 16:31   #102
BigAl5
XC90 Fanatic

Hi Alex, great review and updated information as always.

I'm going to order one myself but was wondering if the supplied software will run happily on windows 8? And is any other software required other than what's on the supplied CD rom?

Alan
Cream Leather & Piano Black Interior Trim, Custom Built Active Bi-Xenon's with Halo Angel Eye DRL’s (and indicators), Custom Steering Wheel, LEGEND media system, Front & Rear Parking Cameras, RSE, Centre Console Fridge, Volvotech, and lots more!

BigAl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 16:32   #103
A lex
Premier Member

It runs fine on win8 and 8.1 .

You can download the software and updated firmwares direct from the Volvotech website.

Its still probably the best money ive spent on the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2015, 16:49   #104
C320

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl5 View Post
Hi Alex, great review and updated information as always.

I'm going to order one myself but was wondering if the supplied software will run happily on windows 8? And is any other software required other than what's on the supplied CD rom?

Alan
BigAl - if you're going to order a CFE and can wait a little while why not join the Group Buy we have: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221293

If we get 15 units of particular kit from Volvotech (e.g. CFE and reverse camera or music interface etc we can get a 5% discount and free shipping to three locations in the UK.

Think we're on 11 / possibly 12 units at the moment
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 19:21   #105
Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
For some models, yes.

Not the XC90 though.
I've got an XC90, and combined foglights / high beam works fine on it. However, my car is older than yours.

Roam...
Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 20:12   #106
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roam View Post
I've got an XC90, and combined foglights / high beam works fine on it. However, my car is older than yours.

Roam...
Pre-facelift?
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 18:26   #107
Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
Pre-facelift?
Yes. MY2004.
Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 15:31   #108
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Hi Just recieved my CFE.

Ran through all the settings with it connected to laptop, updated the latest firmware etc.

The CFE is remembering all the settings because if i shut laptop program down and replug the CFE in and read it, all my settings are stored.

Now when i connect the CFE to the car (2004 S80) i am using an AEM lead, i do not get any blinking light on the CFE and the car does not respond at all to the module being plugged in.

Does the CFE have a blinking light on it?? the instructions make mention of one but i cant see anything.

I have tried holding the reset button on the indicator stalk to either select between switched off, summer or winter modes but the DIM remains blank etc.

I suspect the CFE isn't talking to the CANBUS of the car at all.

I have emailed Volvo Tech for assistance but with it being the weekend i doubt i'll get a reply till Monday or Tuesday.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue??

Just to note, i have another CFE which i ordered for a friends car, i have programmed that and tried it on my car and it still does nothing.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 18:13   #109
C320

I don't have my unit yet so can't comment.

Have you tried plugging it straight into the OBD port to check that way too?
C320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 19:23   #110
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
Hi Just recieved my CFE.

Ran through all the settings with it connected to laptop, updated the latest firmware etc.

The CFE is remembering all the settings because if i shut laptop program down and replug the CFE in and read it, all my settings are stored.

Now when i connect the CFE to the car (2004 S80) i am using an AEM lead, i do not get any blinking light on the CFE and the car does not respond at all to the module being plugged in.

Does the CFE have a blinking light on it?? the instructions make mention of one but i cant see anything.

I have tried holding the reset button on the indicator stalk to either select between switched off, summer or winter modes but the DIM remains blank etc.

I suspect the CFE isn't talking to the CANBUS of the car at all.

I have emailed Volvo Tech for assistance but with it being the weekend i doubt i'll get a reply till Monday or Tuesday.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue??

Just to note, i have another CFE which i ordered for a friends car, i have programmed that and tried it on my car and it still does nothing.
Id say it was more likely a problem with the AEM cable, or the AEM setup on your car than the unit itself....

Is there any practical way for you to hook it up via OBD just to check if the unit is OK?