Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lubrication required for 2006 T5?

Views : 2544

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2014, 15:58   #1
PeterS60

Default Lubrication required for 2006 T5?

Hello everyone. I'm about to have my 2006 S60 T5 (260bhp) converted to lpg. I read about the valve seat recession issue and the lubrication to prevent it, but was advised by the installer that it is not required for Volvo engines. However somewhere else I read that valve seats in post-2002 Volvos are not so hard anymore, so the lubrication may be required. The car has done only 35k miles, but from May I will be doing around 20k miles a year and I plan to keep the car for few years. Could you please advise if I should have the lubrication system installed? Many thanks.
PeterS60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2014, 23:29   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Yes you need a valve saver system fitting on that age.

Is the installer aware that there is another thing they will also need to fit for the system to work?

Why did the installer not check the caution list?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 11:31   #3
PeterS60

Thank you very much Dai.

Those are very good questions. The fact that the installer simply assumed that all Volvo engines are fine is worrying. I note from your other posts that the fuel pressure is also an issue when installing lpg on T5. I haven't yet decided 100% to use this guy; he has good reputation for being precise and neat but it seems he hasn't done T5s before. I'll have a chat with him tomorrow before making final decision. Any other advise on what I should also ask him (except lubrication and fuel pressure) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Peter
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 20:13   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If I was backed into a corner on suggesting a local(ish) installer Your nearest installer I can recomend is Neil Muggleston in Boston or going up North a fair way there is decent up Doncaster /Sheffeild way. The down side with Neil is he likes to fit BRC but he will also fit AEB based systems.

You will want to discuss the normal stuff like fillr point location and where you would like the switch.
It can also be worth checking where he wants to fit the vapouriser as many installers fit it above the engine and that can cause issues with air locks.

Have you been able to look at any of the installers previous installs?
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 14:17   #5
PeterS60

Thank you Dai. Yes, I had a chance to see his previous installation on a 960 and it looked very neat, I also spoke to the car's owner and he said he hadn't had any problems. I am inclined to use this guy as his garage is only 1 mile from where I live, so not far to go in case of any problems.

He suggested to use LPGTECH-326 ECU (http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/6cyl-ecu-lpgtech-tech-326-new/) with these injectors http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpgtech-dra...njectors-rail/ (a rail of 3 + rail of 2) and this reducer http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpg-autogas-kme-gold-reducer/ . I read some good reviews of the ECU (allegedly it's very flexible when tuning) but I know nothing about the injectors and the reducer. I guess these are not BRC/Prins quality, but allegedly they're good enough and the total inclusive cost will be around £1200, whilst elsewhere I was quoted nearly £2000 for BRC and over £2100 for Romano.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 21:54   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Having looked at the LPG tech software is does not look that great compared to other Polish systems like Stag, Europegas and KME but I am told it is ok. If the installer is most familiar with LPG tech then that would be the best choice.

The injectors are similar to Hana so should be ok.

KME gold vapouriser is know for problems sadly and the Tomasseto Antartic would a better choice.

Shocking price for the Romano as it is only a budget system.
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 16:45   #7
PeterS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
KME gold vapouriser is know for problems sadly and the Tomasseto Antartic would a better choice.
Thanks again Dai. You wrote few years ago on this forum to avoid Tomasetto reducers; have Tomasetto improved now or is KME such crap that even Tomasetto is better?
Old Mar 31st, 2014, 19:38   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Tomasseto have moved on and offer some very good reducers. There is a habit with the Polish done in a day boys to fit the smallest model to all installs as it is the cheapest.

KME reducers are very good but over the past couple of years I have seen (and so have other installer) reliability issues and problems with the pressure dropping over time and need adjusting every now and then to bring it back up.
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 13:27   #9
PeterS60

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
There is a habit with the Polish done in a day boys to fit the smallest model to all installs as it is the cheapest.
Yep, I was quoted £850 all inclusive with a 1-day installation in 2 different Polish garages. Having looked at the prices of components required for a 5 cylinder 260bhp engine I have no idea how they could do a quality installation for such price. They guy I'm going to use (also Polish btw) will need 2 full days and I guess £1200 sounds like a reasonable price. Anyway, I should have it converted by Friday evening and I'll start a new thread then to share my experiences. I hope my beloved S60 will like the new fuel and will not be too fussy :-)
Old Apr 1st, 2014, 14:15   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

£1200 + the falshlube (£150-200) sounds like a good price.

Do you know if he is fitting a return line or tring his luck with the emulator?

Tags
lpg, lubrication, t5 engine, valve seat