Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

vida dice

Views : 1410

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2023, 20:16   #1
colind9

Default vida dice

Not been on here for a while now as the motor has been good... until recently! The abs service and srs urgent service have started to be displayed on the dash. I do have a vida dice set up. So i've plugged it in started the program up and vida recognises the car except that the diagnostics tab across the top is greyed out so I cant read or clear any error codes. I've also got one of them bluetooth things you plug in to the socket. Thats just saying there are no fault codes to be read. So, you wise people out there in Volvo land, where's the problem and how do i rectify it?
colind9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 20:59   #2
reggit
Premier Member

On the first screen where it shows the car, vin number etc. you need to manually fill in the empty boxes - rhd, gearbox etc. then the diagnostic tab appears.
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 21:07   #3
colind9

Thumbs up

ok, I'll have a go at doing that tomorrow. I'm sure the last time i plugged it in most of the details were filled in ie vin model year etc... but i'll have another go tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to colind9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 00:39   #4
wynnj
Master Member

Is VIDA seeing the DICE, i.e. does its serial number show in the communications tool box window? If not the DICE may be dead or you may be able to recover communication by following the advice I got from Si Robb* on his Youtube video when I had a similar problem.

Close Vida and carefully follow the short procedure explained @13:40 https://youtu.be/KGa82YY0JwU

*(CheshireD5 - unfortunately no longer active on this forum)

Last edited by wynnj; Jan 9th, 2023 at 00:42.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 10:00   #5
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

total shot in the dark but probably wheel speed sensor / reluctor ring, that's the usual cause isn't it

to be confirmed by proper diagnosis of course before spending anything

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 14:57   #6
colind9

Wynnj - definitely communicating, correct serial number shown on the '1st' screen.
Shame about sirobb, used to be a font of knowledge on here.
Stuart - my thoughts too but not wanting to faff around looking at reluctor rings or sensors. Rather use the kit for its intended use... And the rings aren't the easiest to see at the best of times 😎🤣
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 18:26   #7
colind9

Just been out to the car, started laptop and then Vida. Windows 7 started then got the main icons (Vida, vdash, wiring diagrams etc) on the desk top. The little icon down by the clock started red, turned yellow then.... just sat there staying yellow for everrrr! So shut down W7, restarted the laptop and did it again. And yes, it did the exact same thing, just sat there at yellow... 🤬. I know my laptop isn't the fastest but it did kinda connect to the car Saturday afternoon.
I'm now at a bit of a loss as what to do next... Do I uninstall the Vida from the virtual machine and then reinstall it or what.
As always your comments and help will be greatly appreciated 👍😁

Last edited by colind9; Jan 9th, 2023 at 18:29.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 16:19   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colind9 View Post
Just been out to the car, started laptop and then Vida. Windows 7 started then got the main icons (Vida, vdash, wiring diagrams etc) on the desk top. The little icon down by the clock started red, turned yellow then.... just sat there staying yellow for everrrr! So shut down W7, restarted the laptop and did it again. And yes, it did the exact same thing, just sat there at yellow... 🤬. I know my laptop isn't the fastest but it did kinda connect to the car Saturday afternoon.
I'm now at a bit of a loss as what to do next... Do I uninstall the Vida from the virtual machine and then reinstall it or what.
Yep looks like VIda is just waiting to start ( ready when it turns green) Not a computer expert but is there a startup log that you can examine after a failed start that might give a clue about whats wrong. Or would a system restore to an earlier date offer a helping hand - assuming VIda actually worked in the first place..
Cheers Bob
2002 V70 T5 SE now sold
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 22:27   #9
wynnj
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colind9 View Post
... 🤬. I know my laptop isn't the fastest but it did kinda connect to the car Saturday afternoon.
Don't know anything about running VIDA on VM but just a couple of ideas from left field!
When Vida was first installed you'd have had to change a date to sometime in the future so that VIDA thought it was a valid installation; have you inadvertantly passed that date? Can't remember the exact procedure but I'm sure it'll be on the web.
Secondly, when you had it running last did windows or your computer do an update making it incompatible with VIDA.
I did once think of installing VM on my mac to run VIDA but decided in the end that I had more flexibility by getting a 2nd hand Thinkpad dedicated to just this task. VIDA runs on Win10 but it did give me a problem one time after I forgot to re-switch off the wifi after printing something and MS got their claws into it and installed updates I didn't want. That's where SiRobb helped me back onto the straight and narrow with the Youtube link I gave earlier.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynnj For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2023, 19:13   #10
colind9

Hi wynnj, do you have a copy of the Vida dice perchance. No idea where it is on my laptop in the VM! . It would be so much easier to run in W10 direct.. 😁