Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo XC70 SE Lux D5 Geartronic – Spares or Repairs

Views : 924

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 14:03   #1
daveystoat

Default Volvo XC70 SE Lux D5 Geartronic – Spares or Repairs

Volvo XC70 SE Lux D5 Geartronic – Spares or Repairs

2006 XC70 D5 SE Lux D5 (185 bhp) Geartronic 4x4 estate. Black leather interior with ‘aluminium mesh’ inserts. Being the SE Lux model, it is fully ‘specced up’, including:
Geartronic automatic gearbox – changes are smooth
Powerfold electric mirrors
Heated memory seats
Full leather interior
Parking sensors
Sat Nav with remote
Air con
‘Four-C’ suspension
Electric windows all round
Xenon headlights
Roof rails
Rear-facing child seats
Bodywork condition is generally very good, though there is the odd blemish in line with age, but nothing major. All panels are good
All four tyres have plenty of life left in them – none are more than half-worn, and they are winter tyres
It is currently showing just under 218,000 miles. I was advised when I bought it that it had a replacement engine with 121,000 miles on, a cambelt change and a recent service, though I have no evidence of this (other than the advert from the dealer I bought it from). The engine runs perfectly – no nasty noises and as quiet and smooth as one of these should be. The service history, other than the fully stamped service book, was not supplied to me by the dealer I bought it from, despite requests for it to be sent. I have fitted new front drop links. It drives really well, with no knocks or bangs from the suspension or anywhere else
Bad points:
MOT failure, pretty much all of which is minor:
Headlights need a sand back and polish - £12 kit from Ebay and an hour of your time
Two front brake hoses needed – around £15-£20 each, and not long to fit.
Parking brake efficiency below requirements – likely rear handbrake shoes needed (not expensive, not too bad to fit)
Suspension arm bush worn on the n/s front (o/s front is an advisory) (£14-£15 on Ebay)
Emissions – the emission control sensor has been disconnected (not by me), and presumably as a result has failed the emissions test
Other bad things
Radio doesn’t work (no sound). It’s a HU-850, they all do that.
It does come up with random errors on the dashboard – I believe it is due to dirty electrical connections as everything works, and they come and go. Seems to need electrical contact cleaner sprayed on the contacts of the central electronic module.
Overall though, it’s pretty good for the age and miles. The interior is in good condition overall, and the wheels are in generally good condition. All the electrical bells and whistles work, and the main-dealer-only mechanical bits are working too. The engine and gearbox both work well too.
I have owned this car since August 2021 and I used it for a month, before a manual XC70 came up. I haven’t had the time or money to do anything with it before now.
There isn’t really that much needed to MOT it, if you know what you are doing, you could spend well under £100 in parts to get it through the MOT, and could have it all done in a day, and work through the advisories while you use it. Or it could be used as a source of parts to keep another on the road.

So, it is being sold for spares or repairs – it could be a great project for someone. If I was to break it, I know what the major parts are worth (e.g. the power mirrors alone are on Ebay for £90-£95 used, wheels and tyres would be £200-£300, engine and gearbox £500, Four-C suspension parts £500, interior £250-300). I know the major mechanical bits work. The buyer would need to have it taken away on a truck, though it is driveable to a pre-booked MOT test I wouldn’t advise it. Car is located in Gloucester, not far from J11 and 11A of the M5.

I think that is everything, by all means PM me with any questions. I am happy if anyone wants to come and look at it. Can send pictures if you PM me your email address

I am giving the members here 'first dibs' before I advertise it elsewhere.

I am looking for sensible/fair offers. PM me.

Last edited by daveystoat; Aug 17th, 2022 at 16:38.
daveystoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 01:31   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

still for sale? PM me
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 00:10   #3
jordan6136

Default Provisionally sold.

Provisionally sold.
jordan6136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 11:59   #4