Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

poor starting / running problems

Views : 694

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 15:21   #1
ALAN AWD

Angry poor starting / running problems

Hi can anybody please help, im running out of hair/cash fast, I own a 2001 v70 t5.
On cranking engine, sounds like its compression locking. You have to let the key release before you can retry (this is when the battery is tired). Otherwise it will crank and then lock, crank and then relock. This is constant while the R.P.M. needle jumps and flickers constantly (unless it starts of course and runs sweet for a while!).
The SECOND MAJOR FAULT whenever it feels like it, it refuses to idle correctly. By this I mean hunting really badly.
THIRD MAJOR FAULT - is when it feels like it, it misfires. It goes onto 3 out of 5 cylinders and then back to normal. But will just as quickly run back on 5 cylinders.
REPAIRS TRIED
Internet said starter needs replacing causing electrical pulses interfering with crank shaft position sensor. Starter has been replaced.
Crank position sensor has been substituted.
The key antennae has been replaced (picks up chip in the key).
ETM has been replaced (the throttle body).
Throttle position sensor keeps coming up FAULT. Have also replaced throttle pedal.
Purchased 3 coil packs, tried in various positions.
Also substituted air flow meter (second hand one).
Slight improvement has been made but generally it's all still as it was to start with.
Internet comment I read - "I think a dude said that if the tachometer needle jumps when you try to start it, it is the crank or camshaft sensor for sure."
Haven't tried camshaft sensor.
Can anyone sieve through this nightmare and help please?
Hope this is posted in the right place - it's all new to me!!
Thanks
Alan
ALAN AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:50   #2
reggit
Premier Member

That almost sounds like your timing is out - you haven't had the belt done before this happened have you?

Also have you had fault codes read? If not, I suggest you do before you throw any more money at the car - these should point you in the right direction of where the fault lies.

There is a sticky thread showing the location of members willing to help each other with this service.
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:20   #3
100K+
Premier Member

Agree with Reg - find someone near you with a DICE to read the codes - at least then you'll have a better idea of what yr up against. Also agree total senario suggests at timing issues.

If this has just started ie car preciously ran OK, issue 2 sounds like MAF but you say you have swapped it for 2nd hand one - were the numbers identical??
T5's run a different unit to other V70's - MAF's can be cleaned with electrical cleaner.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote