Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

lower emissions

Views : 1075

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2020, 10:04   #11
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Another vote for Cyclogenesis's post. The vast majority of these cars (mine included) fly through the emissions test with flying colours, and come nowhere near the limits. I would suggest that there's an underlying problem with yours, and any fuel treatment (if it works at all) is only masking the problem. As stated, vacuum or intake leaks are the most common cause.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 15:23   #12
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi , ever had the feeling that in hindsight you regret writing or saying something lol
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:11   #13
Willow place

Hey , Jack, If they are trying to get older cars/vans off the road this part of Andalucia will come to a standstill !!
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:25   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi , ever had the feeling that in hindsight you regret writing or saying something lol
Yes often.😀

I didn't post before for this very reason, but I am surprised you are having emissions issues.
Since I have had my C70 it sails through the emissions test, barely registering on the scale it is so clean. I asked the tester why it would be lower emissions than my V40 - which is also low - and he replied ''the cats on these are so big nothing gets through''. I don't do anything special, other than normal servicing and warm the engine on the way to the test centre - certainly never any Italian tuneup.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 21:56   #15
jack taylor
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow place View Post
Hey , Jack, If they are trying to get older cars/vans off the road this part of Andalucia will come to a standstill !!
Hi Willow place, I remember reading an article in Sur in English a couple of years ago saying the Gov wanted old cars off the roads.Must confess don't see many and those around are often Merc and Volvos.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 22:05   #16
jack taylor
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Another vote for Cyclogenesis's post. The vast majority of these cars (mine included) fly through the emissions test with flying colours, and come nowhere near the limits. I would suggest that there's an underlying problem with yours, and any fuel treatment (if it works at all) is only masking the problem. As stated, vacuum or intake leaks are the most common cause.
Hi Again Luxobarge, most interesting, especially your reference to "masking" the problem. The ITV [ MOT ] testers have said on more than one occasion that my Cat is on the blink and further that all Volvos they get to test all need to be "thrashed" round the block before emissions testing. They say it is a known weak point with Volvos.
Showing my ignorance yet again, my mechanic checks pipes and jubilee clips for leaks, but is there anything else he should be checking that could be the cause of poor emissions. thanks jack
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 22:32   #17
ITSv40
VOC Member

Jack,

I would say your cat is the problem.

I had a '97 V40 2.0lt petrol bought at about 50,000mls and regularly serviced with no emissions issues. It got to about 300,000mls and went for its mot and the tester tried and tried to get it within limits. He revved and revved it and I stood there listening to the pistons screaming in the cylinders - the block must have been white hot - eventually it passed and I got the certificate.

I then thought, 'I'm not having that another year and bought a pattern cat. Next mot it just about passed without too much revving, but still not entirely happy. I then found a second hand genuine Volvo cat and fitted that - next mot and subsequent ones passed with flying colours. tester said 'I don't know why folks bother with cheap pattern cats as they are never any good' In all this time the servicing regime did not alter - just the cat being changed.

My current V40 is standard and passes without any issues and every year the tester says ' the emissions are quite remarkable' and as I said previously the C70 barely registers on the scale.

I'm not knocking your additive treatment, but do genuinely think it is masking underlying issues.

Last edited by ITSv40; Jan 18th, 2020 at 22:35.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 23:49   #18
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
The ITV [ MOT ] testers have said on more than one occasion that my Cat is on the blink and further that all Volvos they get to test all need to be "thrashed" round the block before emissions testing. They say it is a known weak point with Volvos.
Hi Jack - that surprises me. However, given that the majority of Volvos that they test are probably much newer models, perhaps this relates to the later cars? I have no experience of these. From personal experience and many years of reading this forum, I'd suggest that the 850 - x70 series are not culprits, we very rarely hear of an MoT emissions problem on here unless it's due to an actual problem with the car.
In your case it's difficult to say where any issue might lie without having the actual emissions test report and also ideally being able to monitor live data as it is running, but a good competent and experienced mechanic should be able to do this, and gain a good idea of what's going on and why. It may be the cat, although the original cats on these last well unless they've been damaged. Has your car ever suffered from a misfire? If so, this can quickly and comprehensively destroy the internals of the cat, as the un-burnt fuel ignites inside the cat and massively overheats it - rarely any external signs that this has happened. Otherwise vacuum leaks as already mentioned, just checking jubilee clips isn't enough, the best way is to do a full smoke test, but of course you (or your mechanic) needs a smoke testing kit to do this. Alternatively just get all the pipes replaced!

Hope this is helpful, and you get the car to pass many more tests in years to come - these cars are more than capable of going on indefinitely IMHO!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 22:19   #19
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Luxobarge, Many thanks yet again for your advices. A couple of years ago I had a period when my car was backfiring and that was found to be a split in a hose. The cat fitted is aftermarket off flee bay and has been on the car about 3 years. When starting the revs go to about 2500 for a second and then drop to 800 but tick-over is not smooth. From what the guys have said I could well have another leak or the cat is on its way out. Cataclean could well be "masking" the problem as you suggest.
I shall get my mechanic to give the hoses and clips another good look.
Thanks to all you guys for your advice. jack
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 23:54   #20
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Default Vacuum Gauge:~

I don’t have a Volvo with SU carburetors but I do have them on a Riley: ~ The attached had been on that forum regarding adjustments & faults—thought that it may be of interest to others.
Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VACUUM GAUGE.jpg (131.0 KB, 6 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post: