Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nearly £500 for a service?

Views : 4571

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:30   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC888 View Post
My car is due for a service so I've booked it into my local MD. I'll get the recall done during this service which is great.

I was told the service would probably take the whole day so have to drop in first thing in the morning. No issues there and bonus that I get a courtesy car.

However I'm a bit surprised at the quoted price, £481 for a service.
Just wondering if this is normal?

My car is 17 reg S90 on about 40k miles.
which service ? 36000/ 2nd year or 54000/ 3rd year ? or even 72000 4th year?

prices are about £350 for the 18000 , 54000 and £450 for the 36000 and 72000.. the 90000 is more as the belts are changed

which recall are you having done ?
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:34   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Many thanks for the link. I've actually checked prices on the MD I'm booked at it said £280, although it's indicative.

I'll query this with the dealership. 481 seems a bit steep for basically an oil change.
It's a lot more than an oil change ! as you will find out when you read the service checklist when you get it . don't pay for any add ons such as additives or treatments , or AC Service its purely a money making thing .

£481 would be for the main service which includes air filter and fuel filter ( spark plugs if petrol )
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:39   #13
chris900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
... its purely a money making thing .
That's what all main dealers do, they charge extreme rates for minimal work just to put a stamp in the service book. Yes you could argue that they check other stuff that an independent garage may/may not check but often that's all they do ... check it, yet they charge as if they have carried out a nut and bolt restoration of the car. For some people that's a price they're willing to pay and for others it isn't.
chris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:47   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris900 View Post
That's what all main dealers do, they charge extreme rates for minimal work just to put a stamp in the service book. Yes you could argue that they check other stuff that an independent garage may/may not check but often that's all they do ... check it, yet they charge as if they have carried out a nut and bolt restoration of the car. For some people that's a price they're willing to pay and for others it isn't.

Any servicing garage will do it, dealer or not ,, volvo have just banned selling additives and treatments by their dealers by the way . What do other makes charge for labour per hour by the way ? It's not just volvo ... any job in a garage whatever the make is going to cost you .
Vat is a killer at those prices too .
Try getting a MK 5 Mondeo it will cost you twice as much as a volvo for repairs and parts !
A nut and bolt restoration could easily cost £20,000 so you are getting a bargain !
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 10:50   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
I know a very good local garage however last time I was there he struggled a bit with the resetting certain values. I wanted to get the rear pads changed but he couldn't release the brake even with his SnapOn.
Rear brake pad change is an easy diy job, I have just changed mine.
See my post here. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302371
I would have thought any good trained mechanic would be able to do this or to use google and youtube to find out.
Indi garages will not update your software or give you 12 months breakdown and recovery service as the Volvo dealers do, and do they use genuine Volvo parts ?.
You can cancel your AA or RAC subscription which offsets part of the cost of the Volvo service.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:32   #16
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris900 View Post
The checks are still performed by the same technician undertaking the rest of the service, it all takes time and there's always a cost associated with people's time.

Main dealer servicing for a decent marque will always be expensive - someone has to pay for the (sometimes) snazzy showroom, service advisors, technicians, equipment, even the 'free' coffee. It all has to be funded out of profit.

Independent garages will always be cheaper as they don't have the same overheads. Problem with Volvo independents can be that some (I know some do) don't have access to VIDA and so are unable to provide software updates.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 12:52   #17
HamDenFede

I'm from Denmark, and I'm at the dealer right now, waiting for my car to complete the two year service. I think it is called 60.000km although I only did 53.000km. Things that are performed are described pretty well in this thread, and is also described in the service plan. After negotiation I got the price down to £600. Original quote was £700, which is direct theft for oil change and the three filters and some inspection.
HamDenFede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 13:50   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
The checks are still performed by the same technician undertaking the rest of the service, it all takes time and there's always a cost associated with people's time.

Main dealer servicing for a decent marque will always be expensive - someone has to pay for the (sometimes) snazzy showroom, service advisors, technicians, equipment, even the 'free' coffee. It all has to be funded out of profit.

Independent garages will always be cheaper as they don't have the same overheads. Problem with Volvo independents can be that some (I know some do) don't have access to VIDA and so are unable to provide software updates.
Dealers of any brand have Massive monthly costs , volvo ones for example had to have a completely new wi fi system costing £10,000 in the autumn to allow the cars to link up as they drive in , the latest requirement is 12 Electric car charging points which a dealer has to have installed despite limited space sometimes .

They are closely monitored by a third party company including all the paperwork and working practices and have 4 mystery shops in each department every year and 2 full audits , a retest for a failed audit is £600 all paid for by the dealer . not many people know exactly what is involved in running a car dealership and the extremely high standards they have to achieve after paying out £10 million for a fully equipped new place .
Technicians only get paid less than 10% of what they earn for the company. special tools cost many thousands per month etc etc ..
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 13:53   #19
chris900

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDenFede View Post
After negotiation I got the price down to £600. Original quote was £700, which is direct theft for oil change and the three filters and some inspection.
^^^ Wot he said ^^^
chris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 13:54   #20
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Don't forget about the software updates that are loaded during a dealer service. They don't explain them, but after my service yesterday my electronic dipstick is working differently!