Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some advice

Views : 1228

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 10:13   #1
shoppy

Default Some advice

Collected my Volvo v90 from the dealer and a few issues have arisen, I asked them to get the car tinted as I have a new born child for the UV protection.
I wanted some advice about what my recourse is or how I can ask AD to rectify it.

First issue:
They used a company they recommended and the work was shocking.
Dirt, bubbles gaps and so forth, the guy tried to resolve but it was clearly out of his remit and just made it worse.
Has gaps, bubbles, dirt and lifting in rear windscreen already!

Asked another few companys; what they can do they said they could remove and reapply but the rear windscreen would be the risk.

Can I ask them for a new rear windscreen? I am happy to pay towards this to resolve. As I won’t be happy with the car with the rear demister not working.
The original tint guy, just wants to keep redoing the same poor work. Showed it to the other companys who are reputable and they said some of the worst they have seen. But they caveated the back windscreen would be the concern again.

2nd issue
2nd set of keys don’t work including the black active key. They seemed to have swap keys.

3rd issue led lights moisture

I am dropping the car of to the dealers as they have agreed to order new keys and investigate the LED moisture. Not sure how to approach the tiniting issue?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by shoppy; Jan 16th, 2020 at 10:16.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 11:19   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

If the dealer arranged for the tinting to be done then surely they should deal with sorting out the problem?

PS - tinting makes little difference to UV protection. Hardly any UV gets through the glass anyway.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 12:40   #3
Mad Malc

My S90 has sun blinds in the rear doors, may be yours does as well so could help to shield your new-born.
You do not say who your contract was with for the tints, but the Dealer should sort the other problems out for you.
If the tints were invoiced by the Dealer then they should resolve the tint issue. I would ask them to refund your money and remove the tints and return the car in 'as new' condition.
Good luck, hope all is resolved quickly and amicably.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 13:10   #4
shoppy

The dealer arranged for the tints through a local company for me to pay them. At the moment company has invoiced the dealer. The guy can remove the tints but as he said the rear windscreen will be damaged. I have taken it to 4 reputable companies and they have all said the same they can make good the work except for the rear window. None of them will guarantee it. They are happy to try and do the best they can.

Only way to resolve it is to order a new rear glass which I don’t believe is laminated like the side windows from Volvo.

I am tempted to just order the R design rear windscreen which is tinted by default and have it installed on my inscription.

It’s a lovely car but I know it will bug the hell out of me. The window fitted factory original through auto glass will cost me £760 and take a week to arrive from Sweden.

I am preempting having to pay the £760 and put it down to lesson learnt. In future use people I trust to tint rather than the dealers recommended. Shame really as Poole Volvo did a great job.

Last edited by shoppy; Jan 16th, 2020 at 13:13.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 13:19   #5
shoppy

The dealer arranged for the tints through a local company for me to pay them. At the moment company has invited the dealer. The guy can remove the tints but as he said the rear windscreen will be damaged. I have taken it to 4 reputable companies and they have all said the same they can make good the work except for the rear window. None of them will guarantee it. They are happy to try and do the best they can.

Only way to resolve it is to order a new rear glass which I don’t believe is laminated like the side windows from Volvo.

I am tempted to just order the R design rear windscreen which is tinted by default and have it installed on my inscription.

It’s a lovely car but I know it will bug the hell out of me. The window fitted factory original through auto glass will cost me £760 and take a week to arrive from Sweden.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 13:56   #6
Mad Malc

It appears that the Dealer has contracted with the Tinters as they have billed the Dealer. You therefor have no contract with the Tinters. If you are to be invoiced by the Dealer they are responsible and should remove the tints and put the screen in at their cost. They may not want to but I would check out 'the law' and politely insist they comply.
May be citizens advice would be a good next move. Do you have any 'legal assistance' attached to any of your insurance policies or bank contracts as they could also be useful.
I know you say the Dealer has done a great job but in reality they haven't and you should not be out of pocket because of their poor advice/contractors.
Once again I do hope you get satisfaction.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 14:38   #7
shoppy

I am sitting down Roth the sales manager and the site manager and hopefully can come to an agreement. I shouldn’t have to be out of pocket, but I am also someone who wants my car to be as perfect as it can be. So am happy to spend money to get to that state.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 18:23   #8
dghdgh

I ve got a set of solaplex window perspex blinds. They fit into the windows but you can use the rear windows. You can have them for £25 plus pp.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 22:21   #9
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I've heard nothing but good reports about Poole Volvo so far.

Your demeanour in the posts you've made is that of a pragmatic and reasonable person - I'd like to think that approaching your meeting in the same way will see you get the outcome you're looking for. It's always worth giving a company a reasonable chance to put their issues right prior to suggesting legal action or increasing your level of assertiveness.

Good luck with the meeting, hopefully it'll pan out in the way I suspect, but please do let us know.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 01:31   #10
Begonia

Somebody, other than you, should have some 'professional liability insurance'.

The dealer sub-contracted the work out to the guy who messed up the tinting job, including totally messing up the rear window. so the work (ie. the condition of the car) now needs to be put back to original condition.

Manual work can rectify the side windows well enough but not the rear window which now obviously needs a 'bono fido' Volvo spare part replacement.

IMHO, it is definitely up to the dealer to arrange all this, since your contract for all the work was with him. He in turn has a contract with the 'subbie' who he set on and who did the bum work.

I wouldn't get too involved with the who, why, how what, when stuff.

In simple terms the dealer needs to fix you up with a satisfactory temporary replacement car whilst your car is being properly rectified - and without any cost to you.

Any money you have laid out thus far should be returned to you.

It looks like this isn't easily going to happen so check your own insurance policy for your own legal insurance position. Though, if you do have legal insurance this really ought to be your last resort.

I think you might now need someone other than yourself to lever this situation more towards your own benefit with the dealer than you yourself have been able to do. I'm thinking about a good firm of solicitors here. They should also make this cost free for you too.

Last edited by Begonia; Jan 17th, 2020 at 01:33.
Begonia is offline   Reply With Quote