Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advanced driving -upside down way

Views : 5828

Replies : 102

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 14:20   #51
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Dam.. For some reason I can't edit all that.

Mis-typed something. This might be confusing.

Let's say I edited it, and, by the end of that long read, I changed "braking in turn, if done correctly, gives more stability" into "braking in turn, if done properly, helps to control body roll"

Also- where I say about troyblecreading traffic ahead of me- I'm talking about motorways abroad.
In UK I just sail without any trouble.

Mods? A little help, please?

Last edited by ThomasG; Jan 20th, 2019 at 14:45.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:41   #52
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Would you believe..

My current insurer doesn't offer ANY discount for passing advanced driver challenge.
No matter what level, no matter what organisation. Just "No".

Me thinks its time to start looking around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukwide View Post
Interestingly, when I enquired with a reputable insurance company (is there such a thing?) if they gave a discount for IAM membership, having passed car, motorcycle and LGV/PCV IAM tests, I was told no, the cost of the policy price would increase lol
I found some insurers recognised a qualification and some didn't, and some of the insurers that did recognise a driving qualification were more expensive.

Not really a good reason for improving your driving hoping to reduce the premiums but can have the payoff that you will be a safer so less likely to have to make a claim.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:41   #53
I Feel Old

Thomas, I think you are theorising it to death. I'd suggest it's time to get out there with a suitably qualified instructor.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:46   #54
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Feel Old View Post
Thomas, I think you are theorising it to death. I'd suggest it's time to get out there with a suitably qualified instructor.
Who'll be first two to answer.. Who'll be first two to answer...

I'm not disappointed

I've sent a request to my local IAM group yesterday.

Looks like our thinking lined up on this one
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:58   #55
I Feel Old

Quote:
I've sent a request to my local IAM group yesterday.
Great to hear, I look forward to hearing how you get on. Please don't go in to it with a closed mind though.

My post is not just tongue in cheek, it was based on an experience I had. Prior to undertaking training I read books on the theory and when I eventually took instruction I discovered reading the theory caused be difficulty as I was concentrating too much on the theory.

Eventually my frustrated instructor said;

'Just F**$*^g do it'

And I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 18:38   #56
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Reading your extreeeeeemly long post Thomas goes long way to explaining why you may not feel you are getting much from the IAM book. It seems to me that you have given a lot of thought to your driving, clues like balancing the car, looking under, over and through hazards etc., thats not to say you will not benefit as you most certainly will. As I mentioned in another post 'How to be a Better Driver' is a watered down version of Roadcraft.

Most of the people I have coached were OK but they are not 'thinking' drivers, they were what I call reactive and I like to think they eventually became proactive.

Once you start reading Roadcraft it goes a lot deeper into everything and will answer a lot of your questions. Remember reading the book and actually putting it into practice on the road are completely different, and it is very intense.

As IFO mentions keep an open mind, by all means ask questions, but always remember it's their 'ball' so just run with it. Main thing is enjoy the experience.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 23:18   #57
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Roadcraft ordered

I hope not to be dissapointed
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 00:41   #58
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Just for clarity:

This example with lorry isn't something I just thought up on demand.

It is actually occurrence from roughly midnight of 22nd December last year. A2 motorway, speed limit 87pmh(obviously not UK, so driving on right is the rule), lorry in front and right of me suddenly changes lane. There was 30mph speed difference.
Car approaching from behind of me in third lane. Some 150 metres behind.

200metres or so space- I could stop, but it would mean very harsh braking.

What would you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
I've read the thread from top to bottom and I had a question pop into my mind

So from page 1.

What was it that triggered this ?
Quote:
There may indeed be improvement required in my driving Ruby, however I'm not the OP, it's ThomasG.

From some of his posts I have concluded Thomas is not a new driver and admit to having a similar thought. Why now?
Might be a good place to recount why I took some advanced driver training and what propelled me to do it.

I always considered I was a competent and safe driver but nothing special, lets face it we all think were good drivers, its a 'Man Thing.'

This also involved a lorry, although the driver was in noway shape or form at fault.

On of my passions is fishing, and in the summer of 2002 had been fishing on the River Trent with a friend. Packing up we set of for home around 6 pm.

Passing Lincoln we picked up the A15 which runs down to the M180. Another name for the A15 is Ermine Street, the name gives a clue as to being a old Roman Road, so is practically straight all the way to the M180, and is bordered by open farmland on both sides. However there are a few stretches with some dips and crests, also it is a designated Red Route due to the number of accidents.

Nearing RAF Scampton we came upon a curtainsider HGV and as it was a beautiful summer evening with little traffic I was content to just pootle along behind, mile after mile, just me and him.

Chatting away to my friend and we eventually reached a stretch that I knew was arrow straight with no dips where anything could hide, moving out for a look and there was nothing as far as the eye could see front or back, no road junctions or lay-by’s, no buildings or driveways so decided to overtake. Just drawing level with the rear wheels of the trailer and maybe 800yds. or so ahead a Honda CRV appears heading our way, it was far enough away that I didn’t have to brake, just eased of the gas and dropped back behind the trailer, probably seems more dramatic than it really was. Honda driver must have feared the worst though as they drove onto the grass verge.

Of course these things pray on your mind and when I got home tried to analyse what had happened, could have been a nasty accident or worse, and at the least I had forced another driver to take avoiding action although it wasn’t necessary, although they weren’t to know that I would abort the overtake. More than likely they were locals and had seen it all before.

I think what had happened was the Honda had driven down a track in the field. Reaching the main road they had seen the arctic coming and had plenty of time to pull out but they wouldn’t see me on the blindside off the lorry as I prepared to pass, and I didn’t see them arrive at the main road as I was blindside. First we saw of each other was when the Honda pulled out and turned towards us.

Always expect the unexpected.
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 11:05   #59
I Feel Old

Mike, I think that story demonstrates pretty well that there is no driving skill level that will render one immune from having an accident. There is risk beyond even the best driver's control and all we can do is try and minimise the risk from our own actions/inactions.

Beyond that sh1t happens and we just have to accept it…or stay home.

I had a similar experience one morning going for an MOT, the difference was the car doing the overtaking didn't see me, the long story short of it being it ended up down the banking half way up a small tree (which prevented her going in to Loch Ness).

Cars (tourists) being on the wrong side of the road is a growing problem across the Highlands. Awareness is the best tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:04   #60
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Beyond that sh1t happens and we just have to accept it…or stay home.
Hmmm, dunno don't most accidents occur in the home

Quote:
I think that story demonstrates pretty well that there is no driving skill level that will render one immune from having an accident. There is risk beyond even the best driver's control and all we can do is try and minimise the risk from our own actions/inactions.

I had a similar experience one morning going for an MOT, the difference was the car doing the overtaking didn't see me, the long story short of it being it ended up down the banking half way up a small tree (which prevented her going in to Loch Ness).

Cars (tourists) being on the wrong side of the road is a growing problem across the Highlands. Awareness is the best tool.
That is so true IFO.

I suppose once we are all mere passengers in our fully autonomous vehicles then we will be safe. Imagine, if you do have a accident all it means is a trip to the dealers for a software update.

On a forum I used to frequent I had a tag line which sums up exactly what you said.
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post: