Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 FWD Traction in Ice/Snow

Views : 5842

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 24th, 2020, 16:07   #31
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn View Post
Hi MCV60 - Did you ever get a chance to assess the Cross Climates performance in poor conditions?
Not really, may have a had couple of occasions (like this morning where the local roads were slushy) during the time I've had Cross-Climates on, where there was no issues, even if they are currently wearing close to the minimum tread depths.

Having ordered another pair of Cross-Climates only last week for fitting this coming Saturday In readiness of it's MOT next month.

However, for general driving all year round. I have had no issues and confidence with the 'sub 7' degrees temps. They appear to have worn well.

Pricey though, 'TOPFIVE' promotional code for 5% off any 2 or More Selected Tyres with this voucher @ Black Circles. Takes the edge off the cost.
Old Feb 24th, 2020, 20:58   #32
deepsix

When folk blanche at the cost of winter tyres/wheels I often wonder if they consider the hassle caused to themselves and others when getting stuck. Sliding into a curb or nudging another car/wall costs so much more especially with modern complex alloys. A set of winter wheels will protect those diamond cut alloys from the ravages of grit and salt until next spring too.
I have two sets in the garage, the 18" are for sale on here. Shameless plug.....
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301659

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 08:49   #33
deepsix

Interesting Volvo Canada Winter 'Tire' brochure.
https://assets.volvocars.com/en-ca/~...2.pdf?la=en-ca

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 09:48   #34
Fursty Ferret

Exactly. On our local Facebook group someone posted a “be careful out there” message after she went out in two inches of snow this morning and slid all the way down the High Street bouncing off the pavements.

What she didn’t acknowledge was the complete foolishness of heading out on summer tyres for a totally non-essential journey that she could have walked.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 11:23   #35
Davebbass

The amount of people who just don't realise never fails to surprise me. I get it a lot, to the extent of taking the p**s out of me for having winter tyres, yet they suddenly stop laughing as I sail by them in deep snow, when they can't even move safely in a couple of inches. I've had winters on my car since 2012, and have never looked back!
Davebbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:09   #36
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
The amount of people who just don't realise never fails to surprise me. I get it a lot, to the extent of taking the p**s out of me for having winter tyres, yet they suddenly stop laughing as I sail by them in deep snow, when they can't even move safely in a couple of inches. I've had winters on my car since 2012, and have never looked back!
Haven't seen deep snow, or any snow for that matter, for several years. Had winters on my V40, but haven't bothered with the V60. Must be climate warming. Perhaps we will need summers and tropics soon.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 12:11   #37
James77

I have Nokian Winter Tyres on a second set of rims and I'm sure they'd work great but never had the chance as I could've driven up the mountain to Flaine in the Alps last week on slicks. Booooo

That was a good use of well over a grand!!

I might sell them at some point and just get all seasons.
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 13:16   #38
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
For the last 5 years I have switched to winter tyres each winter on my V50.
3 years ago I drove from Derby to Matlock on fresh snow, deep enough that the undertray was flattening the snow under the car all the way. No issues at all. However when I arrived at Matlock there was a 4x4 on summer tyres stuck on a gentle hill. We stopped and helped push the 4x4 up the hill. We then managed a hill start on the ice and snow and carried on.

So as everyone has said it is the tyres (and switching off the traction control) that is important.

Used to drive a 4x4 so was pleasantly surprised how effective the 2 wheel drive car on winter tyres actually is.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Feb 25th, 2020 at 13:25.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2020, 13:17   #39
deepsix

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
Shouldn't have to look back, not many will be following you anyway unless they're on winters too

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 16:45   #40
skippyfox
VOC Member

Reading through this thread reminds me of a few years ago when we had a bit of snow on the ground, about 3-4 inch. Looking out of the living room window, I watched with a bit of amusement at a blokes attempt to climb the road (not very steep) in a BMW X6Sport. Wheels spinning and by the sound of things redline all the way. Next thing the bloke is going back down hill, it was then I realised all 4 wheels locked up and the brake lights on. That's one expensive sledge you've got there I thought, hope you make the corner... Needless to say said BMW decided the best place to stop was a neighbours garden wall. All the 4X4 tech in the world is no good to you, unless you have the right rubber for winter conditions
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote