Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil overfill warning??!!??

Views : 15285

Replies : 112

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2020, 10:55   #111
Steve XC60
Structural member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogc View Post
My XC60 has been showing oil overfilled for a few weeks, dealer unable to look at it until yesterday. They checked the level, confirmed it was overfilled but not excessively. Drained out a small amount, according to dealership all now ok. However I am taking this further with Volvo. below you will find the details of the email sent, including % dilutions before the user gets any indication of diesel dilution.
I will post an update when I get a reply from Volvo UK.

I am writing to you today in relation to an oil dilution issue I am experiencing with my Volvo XC 60 Inscription Pro D5 2019. Reg XXX.
I first noticed this in November when I noticed the oil overfilled warning had illuminated on the Sensus screen. Lipscombe XXX checked the vehicle but could not replicate the fault. 24 hours later the overfilled warning re appeared. I booked the car back in for today, the earliest booking.

The work undertaken today was to drain the excess quantity of oil, not replace. I understand that the Volvo remedy for the oil overfilled message is to refill to 4.8 not 5.2 litres of oil, ie a minimum of 400ml of capacity for diesel. You will be fully aware that Diesel is not a lubricant, as such testing has identified that levels above 5% start to reduce the lubrication properties of the engine oil.
I do not know the set point of the oil overfilled, or service required sensors, but have taken an educated guess of 200ml above 5.2 litres.
For the revised oil fill levels this would give a potential diesel dilution figure of 8.3% to reach the original oil level, or 12.5% if the oil overfilled level is at 200ml above maximum.
In my case I am assuming 200ml of diesel on oil .2/5.2 which is 3.8% (not desirable but acceptable).
Assuming that my oil has been drained to 4.8 litres than the oil overfilled will initiate at 16.3% far to high, as this level of dilution will result in internal wear.

My plan is to keep this vehicle in excess of 5 years 80,000 miles. As such I am getting increasingly concerned re the long term reliability of the engine, should diesel dilution of the lubricating oil continue.

I would like the following information in relation to Volvo’s experience of engine oil dilution due to diesel, caused during DPF active regeneration.

What is the maximum % of oil dilution Volvo deem acceptable.
What experience has been gained at these dilution levels in respect to wear metal analysis.
Does the loss of lubrication impact upon long term reliability of the engine.

For my vehicle specifically, is it acceptable for oil dilution to potentially exceed 12.5% ?. Should the oil & filter have been changed during the latest dealership visit.

In respect of warrantee as already stated I am getting increasingly concerned re the long term reliability, as Volvo willing to extend the manufacturers warrantee from 3 to 5 years should the diesel in oil issue not be resolved.

I look forward to hearing back from you in relation to the points I have raised.
rogc, did you get a response from Volvo UK?
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 18:53   #112
Ringthane
VOC Member

Getting in the car this morning, for an 80 mile round trip to Thame, I happened to look at the adblue level, after putting in five litres yesterday. The oil level was red, and showing an overfilled message.

After returning, I checked and it had returned to the normal full state.
Old Mar 28th, 2020, 11:28   #113
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

another victim here... we're all in the same boat i guess.